Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there a brand of bicycle that is so "uncool" to you, that you don't consider them?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is there a brand of bicycle that is so "uncool" to you, that you don't consider them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 01:13 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

I'm wondering if the question in my thread title has ever been asked before here?

Obviously some people will have brand loyalty, that seems to happen with many types of products, but is there a brand that's name seems so "uncool" to you that you can't ever imagine yourself buying one of their products?

I'm also not referring to instances where you had a bad experience with a brand and are now effectively boycotting the company.

For me, the first company that comes to mind is Norco, but that is because there is a large dairy company that sells cheese and other products, so in addition to that just naturally diminishing my desire to ride a Norco branded bike, I really would not be happy about being asked if my bike was connected to the make of dairy products.

Over to you(and please state your reasons).
Old 02-19-16, 01:30 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Any brand you get at Target/Walmart/big-box store. Poor quality, poor assembly, heavy tanks. I giggle to pick up the fatbikes at Target; my Pugsley is HEAVY, but it's a feather compared to the Target fatbikes.

I understand why some people ride big-box bikes (they are cheap), but cheap is as cheap does. ... or something like that.
Old 02-19-16, 02:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I won't ride Huffy because I snapped the crank on a Huffy when trying to sprint across a busy intersection during rush hour---despite Johnny Mullet being such a big Huffy fan, I just won't do it. But ... if someone gave me a well-build Huffy frame that didn't have stamped dropouts and didn't weigh a ton ... I might build it up and ride it just for the humor.

As far as "uncool" .... I am so uncool that I am surprised manufacturers don't pay me to buy other brands. As I see it, "cool" is 100 percent dependent on the opinions of others, and if those others cannot see how inherently, preternaturally cool I am and always will be ... then They are uncool and thus their opinions don't matter.

As far as the opinion of people who don't know anything about bikes .... if a company named "Cervelo toilet paper and facial tissues" starts selling its wares in local supermarkets, I will gladly take everyone's R5s off their hands to save them from the potential shame of uninformed confusion.

Shoot, I'd tell the inquirer, "Yes, I am so fast I was selected for the Norco International Racing Team. Watch us at the Tour de France this year." They likely won't know, and won't watch, so you could pull it off. Maybe offer an autograph.
Old 02-19-16, 02:36 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I never liked Giant because they tended to plaster every inch of their bikes with "GIANT" in massive fonts, which I thought was kind of uncool. I went ahead and bought one anyways...go figure.
Old 02-19-16, 02:41 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Not a big fan of WalMart bikes. Especially with as much riding as I do. But will agree with bikecrate that I wish Giant and other manufacturers like Diamondback would not plaster their names all over every inch of the bike frame and fork.
Old 02-19-16, 02:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Trek. And S-Works. And Cannondale.
Old 02-19-16, 02:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
I never liked Giant because they tended to plaster every inch of their bikes with "GIANT" in massive fonts, which I thought was kind of uncool. I went ahead and bought one anyways...go figure.
You can be deprogrammed.
Old 02-19-16, 02:45 PM
coggy
single-speed commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For any bike, if there's a person who likes to ride it, it's cool. Bikes are cool.
Old 02-19-16, 02:55 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
To agree with an earlier post, Giant. I have been in a shop that sales Giant and Specialized to have my bike tuned and I literally walked to where the Specialized stopped and Giant started and turned around, I wasn't even interested in looking at them to pass time.
Old 02-19-16, 03:04 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Free Spirit, Magna, Motiv, Murray, Huffy because I think department store or big box with cheap heavy BSO's.
Old 02-19-16, 03:27 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
all bikes are cool ....

what's uncool is the gear that some riders wear (such as jerseys with some pro cyclists name, etc)
Old 02-19-16, 03:30 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Obviously some people will have brand loyalty, that seems to happen with many types of products, but is there a brand that's name seems so "uncool" to you that you can't ever imagine yourself buying one of their products?
Everything you can buy at a bike shop that's sold as a complete bike, because it won't suit my tastes that become more esoteric with mileage and age. Everything else commonly sold at bike shops, because brands popular enough to get their frames distributed through them (like Moots which would make me something very nice) bill you for the cachet that popularity brought them.

My next frame (maybe when my kids get through their odyssey years) will also be titanium, without a steeply sloping top tube so I have room for a 25oz water bottle and full-size frame pump, with travel couplers, sporty but with ~42cm chain stays to clear panniers for commuting, with rack eyelets, with fender eyelets because I've learned I don't melt in rain, and with a pump peg. The matching carbon fork will have internal wiring for a SON SL dynohub and fender eyelets. I've met one local builder who can do that and know of another.

I'm still partial to pre-2006 Campagnolo components, 2010 Centaur Carbon levers, and triple cranks which allow climbing 10% grades at an endurance pace using tight cogs that work well on flat ground without excessive front shifting.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 02-19-16 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-19-16, 03:31 PM
jamisFan

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Ventura Sport, 2014 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized. I just don't like their "let's sue everyone" hobby.
Old 02-19-16, 03:55 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Plain vanilla and decent weight

When it comes to used bikes offered at garage sales or thrift stores - any bike with nuts holding the wheels on - any bike with a one-piece crank - any bike that is more suitable for weight lifting than riding (weighs more than 30lbs - any bike with cheap, useless suspension (usually 30lbs takes care of that) - any bike without enough gears and a decent gear range to find a comfortable cadence - any bike that has an exotic looking frame (simple diamond frame for me) as I watched a kid break one of those in half and end up in a heap of bike parts and it wasn't a BSO either).
Old 02-19-16, 04:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I dunno 'bout coolness, but when I shop, I never consider Trek or Specialized-- and it has nothing to do with the bikes themselves and everything to do with how the companies strong arm the market, and don't give a crap about the LBS. To me the bikes from both also lack any personality-- I see every Trek like the '90s Honda Civic of bicycles. The only way to tell them apart is the badges.
Old 02-19-16, 04:27 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
When it comes to used bikes offered at garage sales or thrift stores - any bike with nuts holding the wheels on - any bike with a one-piece crank - any bike that is more suitable for weight lifting than riding (weighs more than 30lbs - any bike with cheap, useless suspension (usually 30lbs takes care of that) - any bike without enough gears and a decent gear range to find a comfortable cadence - any bike that has an exotic looking frame (simple diamond frame for me) as I watched a kid break one of those in half and end up in a heap of bike parts and it wasn't a BSO either).
^^
sounds like a 'bike snob'
Old 02-19-16, 04:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Old 02-19-16, 05:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Since we're talking image only, not mediocre function... but I'd take these bikes anyway because I don't care about coolth.

When I was 12-13 my folks bought me a Sears brand 3-speed, which seemed kinda lame at the time, around 1970, when my friends had Schwinns with derailers. But it was a good bike. I was status conscious then. Not now.

Giant has always seemed like such a cheesy name. To a typical consumer it probably sounds like Huffy's less prestigious lineup. I might consider one for my area because this is Specialized territory and the cheesy sounding Giant marque might annoy all the right people.

Cavalo -- Nashbar's sounds-like brand -- bugs some folks. Wouldn't bother me as long as it's decent quality for the money. I might modify the marque to "Cavalier", or "Cavaloaf".

Globe sounds borderline cheesy, but my Carmel doesn't have any obvious markings -- which I like. So I stuck bumper stinkers from a local "pirate" radio station on it. It's a generic looking compact that at a glance resembles the crap bikes outside pawn shops. Good errand and leisure bike, and I don't worry much about theft. I like the blank chromed frame for inserting your own artwork. Silly but fun touch. I'd buy another Globe if I could find one of their errand/porteur type bikes for a reasonable price.
Old 02-19-16, 06:04 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
... same as LeMond?
Old 02-19-16, 06:18 PM
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, Trek.
Old 02-19-16, 06:27 PM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think there's a brand I wouldn't buy. I'm a bit more picky about colors.
Old 02-19-16, 06:27 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
My commuting bike has axle nuts, weighs more than 30 lbs, and has only 5 speeds (2 too many for me). I'll ring my bell so you know I'm coming and you can look away.
Old 02-19-16, 06:45 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
All bicycles are cool ... and I'll actually often go with lesser known brands.
Old 02-19-16, 06:53 PM
slimyfrog

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cipollini.
Born and raised in Italy, I couldn't ride a bike that says "little onions".
Old 02-19-16, 07:00 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Dang, I have preferences, but talk about bike snobs......

If it makes someone happy riding it, it's a cool bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.