Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 03-11-19, 09:16 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I've been having hip issues again; good and bad. My left iliac has slid 3/4-1 cm down (SI Joint Downslip) and has been stuck there undetected for 5-8 years (I've spent about 6,000 on this issue and finally found someone that figured it out). I can correct it and my leg hasn't felt better in 10 years or so. The problem is it slips back and seems to be worse; I could barely finish my 100k tempo ride; I had to get off my bike and 'reset' my hip.

Either this physical therapy works or I get a screw put in my hip to fix it. The good thing is that surgery doesn't seem as 'negatively reviewed' as other back fusions.

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Also did taxes. That's a worse chore. We owe only $877 this year. Not so bad.
I was going to get a new bike this year with my return, but we got 5k less than expected =\. At least we didn't owe.
Old 03-11-19, 06:07 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Hang in there! I hate seeing setbacks like that when folks seem to have made a good progress.

Did a twofer workout thing today. 62 TSS at 280 NP doing VO2 work at lunch and another half hour farting around the neighborhood after work before kids got home.

The power is on the move again. Doing my power intervals a few seconds short of eventual target time but hitting power. 18.5 min at 350w in 40 min total.

I now have good hope in hitting 320 for 20min this year as this is usually a key indicator for me.
Old 03-12-19, 11:09 AM
furiousferret

There's going to be a large pro contingency tonight at our first Tuesday Night World's this year; at least the Axeon and another 'blue' team. Unfortunately my SuperSix is in the shop so I'll be riding the CX bike. Although I doubt they'll be 'racing' it since the Redlands Classic starts tomorrow.

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Hang in there! I hate seeing setbacks like that when folks seem to have made a good progress.

Did a twofer workout thing today. 62 TSS at 280 NP doing VO2 work at lunch and another half hour farting around the neighborhood after work before kids got home.

The power is on the move again. Doing my power intervals a few seconds short of eventual target time but hitting power. 18.5 min at 350w in 40 min total.

I now have good hope in hitting 320 for 20min this year as this is usually a key indicator for me.
Thanks! Its been going on for years....2 groin tears, 3 quad strains, the list goes on...figuring it out is a really big deal so its more positive than negative.
Old 03-12-19, 01:52 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 3,115 Times in 1,643 Posts
Wussed out on my (planned) three-hour ride on the fixed-gear this morning - couldn't get pumped up enough for it being dark, cold and wet. I surfed the web for a half-hour till the sun came up and rode for 2.5 hrs instead, trying to keep things z2/3.
Old 03-13-19, 01:06 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

2x20's this morning at 98%. Commute home later. The legs were a little tired so I didn't force it this morning. Aerobic system definitely capable of more.

Madison workout at the track tomorrow night, plus commuting to work (~10 mi. each way)
Friday off
7-8 hours over the weekend, mostly road with a couple hrs of MTB on Sunday.

Then easy next week. Thinking I want to keep this good fitness and form for another 7-8 weeks before relaxing a little bit with the training.
Old 03-13-19, 01:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
2.5 hour endurance ride along the coast yesterday via Rose Canyon to Swamis. For the locals, Del Mar is a construction mess. I did a sprinters warmup, accelerations and some jumps. I threw in a couple of 90" ANO2 intervals. I am back at VSC tomorrow. We never know what the workout / racing will be until we show up and see who is there. Whatever the routine is, it will be a hard and a blast and I popped all the systems yesterday. My ATP-PC and ANO2 are my best power producing systems. However, I still can't race with Bahati.
Old 03-13-19, 03:50 PM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quick 70TSS VO2 ride this am on the trainer. Whether was nice out, but no time to fuss around getting out on the road. Just jumped on the trainer, put in a solid hour of hard work, and called it a day. Planning for a bit more volume in the next few days, whether permitting.
Old 03-14-19, 09:11 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I can't determine whether to be concerned or not. Yesterday walking around on a site tour I almost had to excuse myself back to the office area from about feeling off. That low sugar feeling. Got back to office once tour over, and within 5 minutes was fine. Almost like a switch. I've done a more VO2 biased work set recently in the past week or two. I don't eat badly. A few bad habits, like cereal breakfast and night time red wine. Otherwise it's pretty healthy stuff. I don't do anything diet wise I'd think would cause me to feel that way. Especially since it was a rest day, and well after lunch also. Unless my leftovers at lunch wasn't enough. I can usually fast and even ride Z2 without much input just fine.

I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 03-14-19, 09:26 AM
chicagogal

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I can't determine whether to be concerned or not. Yesterday walking around on a site tour I almost had to excuse myself back to the office area from about feeling off. That low sugar feeling. Got back to office once tour over, and within 5 minutes was fine. Almost like a switch. I've done a more VO2 biased work set recently in the past week or two. I don't eat badly. A few bad habits, like cereal breakfast and night time red wine. Otherwise it's pretty healthy stuff. I don't do anything diet wise I'd think would cause me to feel that way. Especially since it was a rest day, and well after lunch also. Unless my leftovers at lunch wasn't enough. I can usually fast and even ride Z2 without much input just fine.

I'll keep an eye on it.
I tend to get that now and again when standing for long periods of time. A site tour would be a time when I could see that happening, if there is a lot of standing in one place with no idea of when the group will get going again. It usually just takes me a few minutes of sitting down and the feeling passes, like it did for you. This doesn't happen to me often enough for me to really worry about it - maybe once a year .... and I am talking about days when nutrition has been good. I am not talking about those times when life interferes with a recovery meal and the blood sugar crashes fast. That was me yesterday - not good.
Old 03-14-19, 10:30 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Ahhh, ok. Yeah, this is super rare. So, since it is super rare it would tend to get my attention. We were on foot for quite a while, meandering, standing, looking. Just like you say there.

Looks like nobody wants to join me on my hilly vanilli route tonight. Like 2100 ft in 21 miles using hill repeat loops for intervals. Posted up in all our local groups, initially got a few interested replies. I fully plan to be by myself. I guess I'll challenge myself to big-ring the entire ride. It's possible. Possible if I don't VO2 each hill but do threshold instead.

I like the farting around on the local A ride/hammer, it's a good challenge. It's just that there aren't very well defined segments. And there are so many bloody turns and lights you can't get a good flow going. So inevitably, 4 of us have a little "break" going and people complain they are running red lights to catch up. OK, define segments or sectors and we'll stop at the end of each. Define a sprint zone or hill sprint. Or use your God given vocal skills to call out gaps that are forming.

That's what I did on the hilly route. You do intervals on the hill segment and Z2 pace on the loop-back. So you can get in your hard work fun and then also keep it all together otherwise.

Oh well. I'm just different I guess. The hammer ride I enjoy better is the one out of town with less turns and stops. It isn't hilly, so doesn't tend to my strength of lower weight, but is a lot better flow.
Old 03-14-19, 03:37 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I rode outside and my knee didn't explode i'm so happy woooooooooooo
Old 03-14-19, 04:07 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Bro you want a direct drive smart trainer. It has completely changed riding indoors for me, I don't mind it at all, and the difference between what I can do outside vs what I can do inside is soooooooo much lower. 100% worth the money!
this is similar for me. it's embarassing, but smart trainer, good fans, a good desk, and now mesh wifi so I have good connection in my garage... all serious improvements to indoor training.
Old 03-14-19, 04:10 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
my kids are about to turn 3 and being 3 yo boys they love snot and generally gross stuff. I was hacking my lungs out at breakfast and spit some neon gunk into a kleenex. Nearest boy says "want to see!" so I show him and he says "ooooooh. That's a poh-tay-tah" which is how he hilariously pronounces potato. Anyway, other than a very productive cough I feel generally well. Still makes hard efforts on the bike suck, but I shouldn't be doing them with lung **** happening anyway.
Old 03-14-19, 08:23 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
First ride on the new bike today! Went out with 2 friends and drafted as my ex-pro cx racer did intervals on the front. Was a good day out. Either my road bike power meter is reading high or my gravel bike pm reads low, I'm not sure. I'll need to play around a bit and figure it out. Unfortunately both are are through axle and I don't have the adapter to use that on my trainer and get a quick answer.
Old 03-15-19, 06:19 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I got two suckers, oops people, to come try out the first attempt at a more hilly A/A+ route as an option. This is the one where it's a big Tu/Th group where some A's/A+ bust up the group and make folks mad sometimes. So this is an outlet for some fun to do some hill intervals.

Route ended up being really good. Some pavement issues in one sector, but nothing worse than the normal non-hilly Tu/Th route. In fact, this one flowed a lot better IMHO.

All of us got in solid work, didn't lolly gag in between but could still chit chat a bit.

The motivating factor of like skilled riders is awesome. I got in a great amount of VO2 work on the hills. Those hills at that power/weight are still a little short for 3-4min VO2. These are about 2 1/2 minutes each.

I thanked them for coming out. Good riders. Skilled and strong.
Old 03-15-19, 10:27 AM
furiousferret

That bikes tight af @Ttoc6
Old 03-15-19, 11:07 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

my legs hurt.
Old 03-15-19, 11:17 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Sticking with the gym, adding in some riding for now to see how I feel about bikes.

Yesterday I did front squats, back squats, deficit deadlifts, bodyweight hamstring curls, and 8x6ish at 260w on the bike. Core is tired.

Today did bench press, overhead press, and a bunch of cable pulls mimicing still rings (cross, Maltese, and planche).

Plan on riding a bit longer tomorrow, and checking out a free trial powerlifting class at the gym in the afternoon. Maybe add in some rows and pull ups to balance all the chest work today.

Sunday should be a nice sunny recoveryish day. Maybe the park, or a hike or something.
Old 03-15-19, 11:18 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Of course as the nice weather finally rolls around and I have a chance to get back on the volume work, I come down with a cold/flu and now I'm sick as a dog.

I even had an open day Saturday! 0-5 hours

My volume was pretty low since team camp due to weather and then due to race weekends, so depth of fitness was kind of lacking. I was hoping this week and next I could get some extra hours in before San Dimas. Now I'm almost considering skipping it, since next weekend I'm out of town for a wedding as well. Might be better for me to just train and get ready for BWR and Cascade
Old 03-15-19, 11:29 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

you're doing Cascade? nice.

Also re: weather and racing. I've had the same thing, but I worked out taking a few days off mid-week since January so I could get 6 hr rides in. It's been helping quite a bit. I haven't done a group ride in ages so it should be fun to see how all the plebs on the SDBC A ride are faring.
Old 03-15-19, 02:09 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Track workout at VSC last night. No racing but pedaling drills. Three different styles of pedaling and how and when to use them. Interesting workout consisting of 6x750meter accelerations starting at race pace and increasing to max on the last lap switching pedaling techniques between laps 1-3.
Old 03-15-19, 03:30 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Gym this morning, some GRE intervals, then a chill ride out just to enjoy the sunshine. Was a little chilly (low 40's) but I'm glad I got out.
Old 03-15-19, 03:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
No ride today. My office soccer team's first game. I'm getting really serious: I bought cleats!
Old 03-15-19, 05:12 PM
chicagogal

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tough 250TSS ride (4.5hrs) today. Taking advantage of some great weather and a light work-week.
Old 03-15-19, 08:45 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Shoot, it's been almost a month since I last posted here!

I've been busy, 6-7 days/week either on the bike or running (recovery days are runs). Big rides have been split between long-distance ones and threshold intervals, with some climbing thrown in.

One of the distance rides was with a guy who was about equal to me last year. As we headed out, he mentioned that his doctor had prescribed him testosterone since the last time we rode together...so I'm riding with a guy 25 years my junior who's been juicing. It wasn't pretty. I finally gave up about 50 miles into the ride and turned around, my legs in bloody tatters. He did a 200+ mile solo ride last weekend and averaged 20.4 mph. I guess that stuff does work.

Yesterday was my biggest climbing day since Lotoja, 5400 feet in 76 miles. The only way you get that much elevation in Louisiana is hill repeats - lotsa hill repeats. Three different climbs, eight times each, with the first two climbs ten minutes apart separated by more hills so not much recovery. I was pretty hammered after the second set, luckily I had about ten miles and a convenience store before the last climb. I think Snickers bars have magic in them, I was pretty much recovered when I hit the third climb.

45 minute run today, an hour recovery ride tomorrow, 3x20' threshold intervals Sunday, then it's taper until Saturday and my first goal event of the year, the Texas RAAM Challenge.

Demain, on roule!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.