Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How old is Vintage, and where the bar for Classic?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How old is Vintage, and where the bar for Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-19, 08:40 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
If you want to post your bike - post it...you’ve been around long enough to know the deal. If someone wants to talk about it, they will. If not, they won’t. You know the standard for “vintage” is commonly 25 years, or 1983. You know that very few people will be interested in that bike here. You also know that if you post it, no one will complain..r likely care. We’ve had countless define c/v threads.

Post your bike. Or don’t. I think I speak for most when I say few will care either way.

No one here will complain if you post that, or any other bike, here...but you also don’t get to be upset if no one is interested.
Yes, but where's the bar? I'm not getting on my bike until I know where I'm going. Be nice to know who'll be there, too.
Old 09-16-19, 10:00 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I just realized that my original commuter bike is about 12 years old now, and since it's the first bike I purchased personally I'm still fond of it. Is that old enough to be "vintage"? Can I call it a "classic" GMC Denali?
Basically, no.
Likes For Loose Chain:
Old 09-16-19, 10:09 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Basically, no.
It's only 10 1/2 years old anyway, I miscounted. But some respondents said I could call it a classic if I wanted to, so I reserve that option.
Old 09-16-19, 10:11 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by rhm
Yes, but where's the bar? I'm not getting on my bike until I know where I'm going. Be nice to know who'll be there, too.
Right, kind of what I'm doing here if you think about it. You wouldn't want to associate with barflies that would put down your ride you know.
Old 09-17-19, 01:20 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Semi-incorrect... aero brake levers allowed in Eroica California.

https://eroica.cc/en/california/regulation

In the bigger picture, Classic/Vintage is mostly about looks and materials, not dates.
Not so in 2016. Here's what Eroica emailed me about my Dura Ace AX brake levers.

"
Thanks for contacting us.Yes, if the brake cables are placed along the handlebars and taped to hide the housing then your bike will not qualify for the ride.However, many of the early aero brake levers were capable of routing the cables from the top of levers and routed them over the handlebar.Another easy way to make your bike qualify is to get an extra set of handlebar/stem with traditional brake levers. Many of our participants do this modification on their bikes and switch back to the aero after the event.If you would like to know how to do this modification we are happy to give you a step by step instruction.Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.Thank you and hope to see you in April."The Shimano AX brake levers can NOT be routed the way Eroica suggested.It's nice that they changed that rule.Cheers
Old 09-17-19, 04:43 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 603 Posts
Dammit, we're out of popcorn!
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 09-17-19, 06:07 AM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Hi, long time lurker but not frequent poster here, does anyone know if there's a mid school forum, or if there would be any demand for one? I started riding in the mid nineties, and most of my bikes would be roasted out of the 41/road forum, but don't quite fit here either (2001 and 2007 Cannondale, 2001 Avanti, Kinesis 7005 Apollo from around 99). I love checking out what everyone is working on, restoring and riding, and it is similar to my experience, and the reasons I like these bikes are similar to other forum members with their older bikes, but I don't want to dilute this forum with bikes that certainly miss the c & v cutoff.
Old 09-17-19, 06:51 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
Hi, long time lurker but not frequent poster here, does anyone know if there's a mid school forum, or if there would be any demand for one? I started riding in the mid nineties, and most of my bikes would be roasted out of the 41/road forum, but don't quite fit here either (2001 and 2007 Cannondale, 2001 Avanti, Kinesis 7005 Apollo from around 99). I love checking out what everyone is working on, restoring and riding, and it is similar to my experience, and the reasons I like these bikes are similar to other forum members with their older bikes, but I don't want to dilute this forum with bikes that certainly miss the c & v cutoff.
Interesting. Certainly plenty of viable bikes from that era (when aluminum and 9sp were all the rage).

Maybe we need an "Obsolete" forum to fill the gap.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 09-17-19, 08:03 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Nah. We don’t need that forum. C&V forum members are inclusive, not exclusive.

Post away!
Old 09-17-19, 08:35 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill

Post away!
If not a Forum for 8/9/10, then we NEED at least a Sticky Thread.

But does it go in Road or C&V???
Old 09-17-19, 09:38 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 603 Posts

Post away!
I have found the folks here in C & V to be quite forgiving when I've pushed the boundaries with my posts. At least no one here has found me to be "distasteful and easily trggered" yet. If they have they haven't let on.
Old 09-17-19, 10:07 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
what the heck...
Old 09-17-19, 11:44 AM
RokLenart

Bikes: OPEL Vintage

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Opel from somewhere in between 1890 - 1927.

Any threads regarding old Opel bikes?

Best,

ROk
Old 09-17-19, 11:47 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Originally Posted by RokLenart
I have Opel from somewhere in between 1890 - 1927.

Any threads regarding old Opel bikes?

Best,

ROk
It's from 13 years ago but here you go. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...litz-bike.html
Old 09-17-19, 11:56 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
I'm so confused. I keep expecting to see a picture of a pickup truck.
Old 09-17-19, 12:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I think “pejorative” is a pejorative word.
That's the pejorativest thing I ever heard.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-17-19, 01:03 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Not so in 2016.

Many of our participants do this modification on their bikes and switch back to the aero after the event
Did you make the change and do the ride?

I remember when they made the decision to change that rule - I think too few people thought changing bar/stem combos was something they wanted to do for one event. Switching pedals is no biggie, but stems and cables are a hassle.

And they had the added factor of aero brake levers being relatively popular well before the example year of 1987. I think it was a righteous switch... and it affected my decision to do the ride in 2019. I barely, but definitely qualified under the 2019 rules.
Old 09-17-19, 01:09 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Did you make the change and do the ride?

I remember when they made the decision to change that rule - I think too few people thought changing bar/stem combos was something they wanted to do for one event. Switching pedals is no biggie, but stems and cables are a hassle.

And they had the added factor of aero brake levers being relatively popular well before the example year of 1987. I think it was a righteous switch... and it affected my decision to do the ride in 2019. I barely, but definitely qualified under the 2019 rules.
No, I didn't do the switch or the ride. It'd required new cables, housing and bar tape. Plus I"d have to switch back after. I Tried explaining to them that the brake levers were vintage and original and only made from 1981-1983 and sent them a magazine ad but to no avail = aero brake levers of any age were not allowed then.

I"m glad to see they changed that rule.

Cheers
Old 09-17-19, 07:29 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
@Road Fan - there are better causes to support than a 12 yo GMC Denali as C&V.

Unless we are being ..... overtly tolerant ... of troll posts by Senior Members.
Umm, it sounds like you think I am the original poster or at least the one thinking about a Denali. If so, it is an incorrect conclusion. I would not consider a Denali bike as a good example of anything, other than the cheezy-seeming marketing of an oversized guzzler. Using a bicycle to market a truck? Sheesh.

Troll? I dunno. But I didn't start this discussion.
Old 09-20-19, 03:35 AM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

Post away!
Originally Posted by Wildwood
If not a Forum for 8/9/10, then we NEED at least a Sticky Thread.

But does it go in Road or C&V???
Thanks, I'll get some pics up so I don't just kick up a fuss then slope off into the sunset.

I don't spend enough time in the road forum compared to this one, but from what I've seen there if your bike isn't five minutes old it's obsolete and your exploding bike will cause great distress. I just get the feeling an 8/9/10 speed 'rule bending' thread might be appreciated?
Old 09-20-19, 05:28 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Are you saying my Nashbar bike will never make the cut either?
A Nashbar is a bike. Neither classic nor vintage, just a bike, like many others. If it's steel, great, if you like steel. It's a better bike than a Denali, and it's quite useful, and we're glad you actually have a bike, so your 14,500 posts have some relevance.

A Denali could be classic, maybe in 50 years if all the other bikes are gone. but not "a" classic. It is a classic example of attempts to make affordable bikes that many consumers consider to be "like any other bike."

Vintage generally refers to age as a parameter. Vintage as an adjective, often put in front of clothing, equipment, vehicles, etc. 12 years old is likely not vintage, unless it was made on the 5th day after the 7th day. Then it would really be vintage.

We don't really have those kind of rules here, and we never lack opinions. Of course your post is a troll post, and we treat trolls pretty much as anyone else.

If your desire was to get a rise out of folks, well, that's pretty hard here with a Denali. We've seen them and your kind before.

Welcome to the forum. Ride a bike.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-20-19, 07:42 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
A Nashbar is a bike. Neither classic nor vintage, just a bike, like many others. If it's steel, great, if you like steel. It's a better bike than a Denali, and it's quite useful, and we're glad you actually have a bike, so your 14,500 posts have some relevance.

A Denali could be classic, maybe in 50 years if all the other bikes are gone. but not "a" classic. It is a classic example of attempts to make affordable bikes that many consumers consider to be "like any other bike."

Vintage generally refers to age as a parameter. Vintage as an adjective, often put in front of clothing, equipment, vehicles, etc. 12 years old is likely not vintage, unless it was made on the 5th day after the 7th day. Then it would really be vintage.

We don't really have those kind of rules here, and we never lack opinions. Of course your post is a troll post, and we treat trolls pretty much as anyone else.

If your desire was to get a rise out of folks, well, that's pretty hard here with a Denali. We've seen them and your kind before.

Welcome to the forum. Ride a bike.
Thanks but I think not. This thread has everything I need to know about the forum and classic & vintage, and I won't be exposing myself to it further.

Last edited by wphamilton; 09-20-19 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-20-19, 09:09 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Thanks but I think not. This thread has everything I need to know about the forum and classic & vintage, and I won't be exposing myself to it further.
Best luck in finding a friendlier crew to talk about your bike post about bike posts of your Denali. Losing such valuable content is a loss for us all.

Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 09-20-19, 10:21 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts

+1.
Old 09-20-19, 11:00 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Likes For thinktubes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.