Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rattle Noise Emonda DI2 R8070 Disk

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-19, 07:11 AM
Fergp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I am trying to isolate and fix an annoying rattling sound on my 2019 Trek Emonda Project One with R8070 DI2 disk. All was well for the first 6 months, but it has recently developed a loud rattle sound when I hit any sort of rough or semi rough surface. I ride a local bike path with many wood slat bridges and I sound like a machine gun when I cross – rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat… This is my third DI2 road bike, so I am familiar with rattles from the shift levers that could be muffled by putting light pressure on the paddles over rough surfaces. I cannot figure out the source of this sound. I try light and firm pressure on the bake levers and shift paddles. I try braking slowly or moderately. I try clamping down on the brake cables with my hand. I try pulling on the brake cable and shifter wire where it enters the down tube. Nothing I do changes the tone or cadence of the sound. It seems to be coming from the handle bar area. Anybody know what else I can try before I make a trip to the LBS? Thanks!
Old 10-06-19, 11:24 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Loose headset? Put on the front brake and rock the bike forward and back to see of there is play in the headset.
Old 10-06-19, 11:30 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Check the bottle cage bolts. They are sometimes to blame when bumpy surfaces triggers the rattling. Happened on my Madone. Was sure it was internal cabling, but it was the simple lowly cage bolt.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 10-06-19, 12:36 PM
katyjcrow

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Inturnal cables rattling? Considering the cost of a Project One bike, I’d take it back to the shop where I bought it. They should bend over backwards to make sure you don’t have a problem with a very expensive bike. I know my Trek dealer would.
Old 10-06-19, 07:53 PM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 162 Posts
Where's your Di2 junction box? Strapped to the underside of the stem? That's where mine is, and it rattles going over washboard grates.
Old 10-11-19, 10:27 PM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Fergp
I am trying to isolate and fix an annoying rattling sound on my 2019 Trek Emonda Project One with R8070 DI2 disk. All was well for the first 6 months, but it has recently developed a loud rattle sound when I hit any sort of rough or semi rough surface. I ride a local bike path with many wood slat bridges and I sound like a machine gun when I cross – rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat… This is my third DI2 road bike, so I am familiar with rattles from the shift levers that could be muffled by putting light pressure on the paddles over rough surfaces. I cannot figure out the source of this sound. I try light and firm pressure on the bake levers and shift paddles. I try braking slowly or moderately. I try clamping down on the brake cables with my hand. I try pulling on the brake cable and shifter wire where it enters the down tube. Nothing I do changes the tone or cadence of the sound. It seems to be coming from the handle bar area. Anybody know what else I can try before I make a trip to the LBS? Thanks!
How about an update?
Old 12-30-19, 07:02 AM
Fergp

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Finally figured out the problem! The battery inside the seat tube was not adequately secured. Since this bike has a seat mast and not a seat post, you can't use the normal Shimano seat post mount hardware. The battery was only secured at the top by a plastic spreader collar and it was not tight. This allowed the bottom of the battery move back and forth when I hit a bump ( kind of like a bell clapper). My solution was to center the battery on the plastic collar and tape it so it won't slide down. This is far from a professional fix, but the noise is gone and I'm happy!
Likes For Fergp: