Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Kickr

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-17, 01:09 PM
Ironump

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Kickr

Hey all. New to this forum. I just got a Wahoo Kickr (figured it was time after CompuTrainer decided they didn't want to support their product anymore).
For any Kickr users out there:
  1. Do you leave it plugged when you're not riding?
  2. What would you recommend for an app? I'm looking for courses (or something else to make me stop thinking about how long I've been on the bike and how much longer I need to go), with a lot of data feedback.
  3. I just did my first ride and used the Wahoo Fitness App, which is OK, except I couldn't get it to recognize my Garmin HRM. It also didn't show cadence. Any ideas about that?
Thanks!

Last edited by Ironump; 12-23-17 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-24-17, 04:17 AM
PaddleFoot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang, lost my post! Retyping...

Hello,

I unplug my KickR, even if I am taking a break during a long ride. I use a power strip and just flick the switch. To ride again, you just go menu/pair (in Zwift) and you are all set. Be sure to do a spin down regularly for best results.

I recommend Zwift. It is wonderful for what you are asking for. I use it with my gradient control set to 90%. This gives me the closest feel to riding my bike outdoors. You will learn more about bike fit and form than you expected. I ride 1000+ miles a month and do not get bored. With the gradient setting I now use, they aren't BS miles either. If you want to run Zwift on your PC, you need an Ant+ or Bluetooth dongle. Using BT through the phone is too buggy for my liking.

I don't have Garmin, but here is a link that might help.

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/...p-Instructions

Most important tip I have is a bit silly, but get some desiccants for your shoes. They will remain soaked if you don't. My shoes still smell new using the desiccants.

Welcome to the site!

Last edited by PaddleFoot; 12-24-17 at 04:37 AM. Reason: had the wrong link. now corrected.
Old 12-24-17, 09:45 PM
qajaq

Bikes: TREK Domane 5.2 Giant Defy Wilier Triestina Cento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm using my Kicker with Zwift running on an iPad. Your Garmin HRM is likely transmitting data via Ant+ while most computers, iPads, phones are looking for a Bluetooth signal. If you're running your software, Wahoo Fitness app or Zwift, on a PC etc you need an inexpensive adaptor (dongle) to let the device read the Ant+ signal. I'm using a Wahoo HRM that sends both Ant+ and Bluetooth with no issues. I unplug the Kicker when I'm done using it. The LBS has an demo setup, Kicker running Zwift, and I've never seen it unplugged. Probably doesn't really matter.
Old 12-25-17, 11:36 AM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep my Kicker and fan plugged into a power strip. One click and everything is off.
The Kicker transmits on both ANT+ and BLE. Your HR strap is probably ANT+ only and is not registering. Also, you need a compatible cadence sensor to see cadence.
My four year old IPad Mini2 is not supported by Zwift, so I am force to use laptop with an ANT+ dongle. I have also experimented with using my Garmin 1000 and following one of my previous local rides. Not as much fun as a group ride on ZWift though. I have not tried TrainerRides yet.
Old 12-25-17, 04:26 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have to ask, why is it a bad thing to have to use a laptop for smart trainer use. More than once I've noticed posts with someone lamenting having to use their laptop rather than their phone or iPad. Just curious.
Old 12-25-17, 05:23 PM
PaddleFoot

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You want the largest screen possible. Can't imagine looking at a tiny screen (for Zwift).
Old 12-26-17, 07:48 AM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ddub
I have to ask, why is it a bad thing to have to use a laptop for smart trainer use. More than once I've noticed posts with someone lamenting having to use their laptop rather than their phone or iPad. Just curious.

For me, I just have one laptop so it's me being lazy & not wanting to carry the laptop into my trainer room. Need to not be so cheap and buy another laptop or set up apple TV to a monitor.
Old 12-26-17, 02:21 PM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have had my Kickr plugged in for months now with no ill effects. I use a spare Macbook Air laptop and HDMI into a large 55" TV. When my session is done I close and log off Zwift, leave everything else as is. Its only a double-click away from being ready at all times.
Old 12-31-17, 07:38 AM
Da Reef

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Highly recommend Trainer Road. I also use Zwift. I use a Microsoft Surface with no issues. Screen size for TR doesn’t really matter. For Zwift I have the Surface attached to a 23” monitor under my 75” TV. I can’t watch Zwift only.