Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Great pic of Greg Lemond

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Great pic of Greg Lemond

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 07:25 PM
ed073

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
your brother in law is Tony Cruz???

Cool.....
Old 06-16-05, 07:28 PM
sunninho
Go Titans!!

Bikes: '04 Eddy Merckx Team SC - Record - Rolf Prima Vigor; Andy Hampsten Cinghiale - Dura Ace 7800 - Rolf Elan Aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grew up admiring Lemond. But, I don't know, that grin kinda reminds me of Freddy Kruger.

Old 06-16-05, 07:36 PM
G-Unit
I Am Online Now!

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, LeMond Poprad, Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you read the latest Lance interview in Outside magazine?

He said when he retires, is isn't going to let himself go like Greg LeMond, like 40lbs overweight. Then he said, "I thought about that before I said it"

I thought it was hilarious!

I guess my LeMond will be a collector's item after Trek changes the brand to Armstrong bikes.
Now please excuse me, I gots to get my tree fed.
Old 06-16-05, 07:37 PM
G-Unit
I Am Online Now!

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, LeMond Poprad, Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought taht was a picture of Ostuni!
Now please excuse me, I gots to get my tree fed.
Old 06-16-05, 07:38 PM
jsliderc

Bikes: SyCip/Campy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sincitycycler
Sports Illustrated 1990. Great look of determination!
thats the tightest I've ever seen him..... Maybe those were his doping days. LOL

On the heavier side here he is a couple years back at Ramrod

Old 06-16-05, 07:39 PM
redal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I've mentioned him by name on here before. If I don't put his name some people don't figure it out, which is fine. However, people that know the sport know who I'm talking about. It is pretty cool, I've raced against Tony since we were juniors. When I first started racing at 16, he was a last year junior on Plymouth-Reebok. He was a god here in SoCal, I think he had almost as many fans then as he does now. I didn't get to race against him that much then because I started racing toward the end of the year, but I would hear stories about it for years.
Old 06-16-05, 08:41 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by skydive69
Then I put it back to you. How can someone diss Lance Armstrong, 6 times tdf champion (soon to be 7), etc., etc. Lemond did and does. Great champion with incredible accomplishments, but that doesn't give his mouth a free ticket to bleat whatever it pleases. And bleat he does.
Okay okay...isn't it time all of this nonsense stopped? I think Lance is more than capable of defending himself in this matter. I think Greg has as much a right to say whatever he pleases as you do to say that he sucks. Why is it that only when someone says something we dion't agree with is that person an ass.

Lance is a big boy, ands also a great cyclist. I have asked many times in posts like these, what will you people say IF (and I do mean IF) Greg is proven right? I also never heard Greg say that Lance is dirty. I do recall him sayuing that if Lance is clean then his 6 (7?) TdF titles are the greatest feat in cycling history, and IF (!) he isn't then it is one of the biggest frauds. Wouldn't that, indeed be the case?

― Bruce Lee
Old 06-16-05, 08:48 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by redal
I have read Lemond's comments about Armstrong and agree that he should keep his mouth shut. However, I have met Greg Lemond twice and both times he was the nicest guy. In 1999, my brother-in-law won the USPRO criterium championship. In 2000, I was at a bike shop in Redlands during the Redlands Classic when my father-in-law and I were approached by Warren Gibson, who was Lemond's business manger at the time. Warren managed a high profile junior team in the late 80's that my brother-in-law had ridden for. Greg was with Warren and introduced himself by saying, "Hi, I'm Greg." Believe me, I knew who he was. He went on to offer congratulations and gave my father-in-law an enthusiastic thumbs up when we were leaving. Later that year we ran into Greg Lemond again at the Nevada City Classic. This was after my brother-in-law had won the Olympic trials. Greg Lemond was without Gibson this time but again introduced himself as "Greg" and offered congratulations and said that the Olympics were one thing he was sorry he never got a chance to do. The whole family was with us this time and he happily posed for numerous pictures. I am a fan of Lance's riding, however, having encountered him on numerous occasions both pre and post cancer I would have to argue that Lemond is a much friendlier person. It is unfortunate that Lemond has made the comments that he has.
He is one of my idols...I guess being 44 I am part of that generation, and I have heard many more stories like this. I always thought (and still do think) that it is possible to be a fan of BOTH of these men. And, while Greg's comments were unfortunate, he certainly has the "right" to say them. And, though he may (does) sound bitter, he sounds no more bitter than many other athletes who are no longer in the game.

― Bruce Lee

Last edited by baj32161; 06-16-05 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-16-05, 08:57 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sat_cycle
not related but did anybody see the latest issue of Outside mag . . . I forget the exact quote but something like: Lance claims that after he retires he will NEVER gain 40 LBs and become a fatso like Lemond

Heh, easy to say now. Just thought I'd throw that in there for those ragging on Lemond for trashtalking.
The current issue of "Outside" has several really good cycling related articles. I noticed that Lance made it very clear: his dig at LeMond's fondness for ice cream and pizza was an intentional (though mild) response to LeMond's constant belittling of Lance's accomplishments.

According to LeMond, he never lost a race "fair and square". The other teams ganged up on him. His own team conspired against him. His doctors failed to properly treat some health problem or another. It was too hot/cold/wet/windy on his side of the road (but not on the side of the road the "winner" was on).

He had three or four GREAT races during his life, but his decades of whining, complaining, and generally being a big, fat crybaby have greatly diminished his standing among many of his FORMER fans.
Old 06-16-05, 10:08 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had the pleasure of meeting Greg in the mid 90's. He was appearing at a bicycle shop in New Jersey prior to the CoreStates / First Union / Wachovia USPRO Championships. I admit that I was a bit nervous, since I had gotten in to cycling in the early '80s and he was an idol of mine. In the back of my mind I wondered if I would be disappointed by finally getting to meet him in person. After all, how could the real person live up to the legend that had been created by winning the World Championships in a solo breakaway in 1983; fighting with Hinault in '85 and finally winning the Tour in '86; coming back from a near fatal hunting accident to win the Tour by just 8 seconds in '89; outsprinting Sean Kelly to win the Worlds again in '89; etc. etc...

There were several people in line ahead of me when I arrived at the shop, and it was pretty cool to see the man in person that went with the voice I had heard on TV for all those years. What was even more amazing, however, was listening to him talk to everyone. It didn't matter if they were talking about frame materials, or climbs that people had ridden up from the Tour Du Pont, Greg gave each and everyone the same undivided attention and courtesy. After a while he ceased to be the embodiment of an American cycling legend, and he was just a guy named Greg hanging out in a shop and talking with other biking enthusiasts. At one point, a guy cornered Greg and gave him a very detailed description of his own personal training program for mountain bike racing, down to heart rate information. I looked at some of the guys who worked at the shop, and they were snickering in the corner. I suppose the guy was a shop regular, and they had all heard that lecture several times over, and now the guy had cornered Greg. Here was a three time Tour winner, and multiple World Champion... listening with the same intensity and enthusiasm that he gave to people who asked him about his own exploits in Europe. Imagine that... I've met a lot of Cat 4, 3, and 2 racers who had bigger egos than Greg.

When I finally got my chance to talk to Greg, I asked him to autograph a caricature drawing my sister had given to me as a Christmas present years before. It was a cartoon drawing of me in a La Vie Claire uniform, standing next to Greg in his Yellow Jersey. Greg's first question was, "What if I mess it up?" The thought that he might smear it had never crossed my mind until that point, but I told him to go ahead and try any way. Fortunately he carefully autographed it without damaging it, along with a La Vie Claire jersey that I brought along. During the rest of the night I watched him sign item after item, including a dozen cycling caps that someone had brought as prizes for a charity ride. Greg signed everything presented to him, and spoke to everyone without the slightest trace of being condescending, impatient, or holier than thou. During the hour-long drive home, I couldn't help but repeat over and over, "Greg's THE MAN!!!"

I know that since then, some of Greg's comments have made him appear bitter, frustrated, and washed up. I admit that I have cringed and shaken my head too. Without proof, his comments certainly make him sound jealous at best and slanderous at worst. I also realize that these comments may have been taken out of context, or may have been repeated over and over and somewhat diluted from what he originally said. However, I also must say that considering how careful Greg was in dealing with the media during his career, I doubt that he would let something slip carelessly. When he first went to Europe, he struggled with being quoted out of context, or having something misinterpretted in a foreign language. I think he even went as far as recording some of the interviews he gave, so he would have his own record of the conversation. Considering that, I would be very surprised if he was just shooting off his mouth recklessly without something to back it up. I respect Lance tremendously, and I will believe he is innocent until proven guilty. He works his butt off, and I'm sure that staring death in the face has given him a perspective on life that very, very few of us can relate to. I don't think it is contradictory to be a fan of both riders - they were each incredible in their own ways. However I don't think LeMond is simply a washed up, bitter old man who can't deal with sharing the spot light. Time will tell, I suppose.
Old 06-16-05, 10:51 PM
Sincitycycler

Bikes: 2005 Scott CR1 Pro - 1992 Panasonix Fixed Conversion 60tx20t

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsliderc
thats the tightest I've ever seen him..... Maybe those were his doping days. LOL

On the heavier side here he is a couple years back at Ramrod

That is not Greg Lemond, is it???
Old 06-16-05, 11:19 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sincitycycler
That is not Greg Lemond, is it???
It is Lemond. And is he wearing some cheap, knock-off version of a LiveStrong bracelet?

All of the great cyclists get a tad chunky after retirement (remember Merckx fom a few years ago?).
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 06-17-05, 01:17 AM
lilHinault

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Merckx only got chunky because of health problems, you should see him lately.

I met Greg LeMond once, after he'd returned from a Coffee Crew ride, whee-oof, some B.O. lol! I dunno, seemed like a nice guy but any prominent athlete in their right mind learns how to smile and hang-out with the crowd and sign all the little kids' autograph books etc. that's just part of the business.

LeMond seems to be a real sour-grapes whiner, meanwhile other great riders like Hinault and Merckx are not trying to eat their way into a Drew Carey lookalike contest. I can't imagine Lance ever letting himself go like that. And Lance fought his own way up, then had to fight all over again against the big C, and will have to fight harder than ever if he is able to win #7. Lance is a typical rich-kid, Daddy 'n' Mommy decided what they were going to do by the time they were 12, bought 'em everything, made them everything they are, yadda yadda and what you see is this whining attitude. You don't see that among European bike racers because that's a working-class sport, like boxing is here. Lance went out and decided what he was going to do, and carried his mom's weight too as soon as he could, not the other way around.

To these parent-made athletes, someone who finds out they're good at something and climbing up on their own, is considered some sort of a cheater. How dare they?? It's inconcievable that a person might determine their own way in life instead of it being set out in front of them all pre-planned by wealthy (or at least comparatively wealthy) parents. I've seen this personally.

Here Greg! Have another slice of chocolate cake!
Old 06-17-05, 01:18 AM
lilHinault

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh crap I mean "Greg is a typical rich-kid...." etc.
Old 06-17-05, 01:49 AM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
after being a fan since i was a teenager, i finally got to meet greg at -- of all places -- the long beach grand prix. he was in the paddock hanging out with greg moore(who died later that year in a crash). on that day they were both really friendly guys who were more than willing to stand around and talk about cars or bikes with a couple of regular fans. for a number of reasons, it still bothers me that i didn't ask to take a picture with both of them.
Old 06-17-05, 02:33 AM
Lectron
Made in Norway

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben Cousins
Because Armstrong's a big ass?

I like Lemond. The first Tour I followed was '86 and I always associate that era with great, dramatic cycling.

Nothing Lemond has said about Armstrong is more offensive than stuff Armstrong has said about a bunch of people and on a bunch of subjects.
Hear hear.
Old 06-17-05, 02:33 AM
Feltup
Pain Cleanseth

Bikes: On*One Imbred (commuter), Specialized Rockcombo(commuter)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lemond sucks
Old 06-17-05, 02:40 AM
cryogenic
Campy or bust :p

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey commuter build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seriously must be the only person that doesn't give a flying flip about any of it. They're both great cyclists as far as I'm concerned. I'm not picking sides and frankly I don't care what one thinks of the other.
Old 06-17-05, 02:45 AM
wannaride
Toughen the pluck up!

Bikes: 1990 KHS Sled; 2004 Specialized Sirrus Pro; 2005 Cannondale Saeco Replica

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LeMond went from hero to a big fat zero.

He would be alot better off all around if he learned to keep his mouth shut.
Old 06-17-05, 05:30 AM
spackler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Admire their accomplishments, not the individual. Idolize what the individual can do, not who the person is or what they do/don't say, think, or feel. I don't think any of us know anything about how they live their lives on or off the bike so how can you look up to someone that you know nothing about? What if their beliefs and faiths and morals are the complete opposite of yours? Would you not watch the TdF? Would you not think that 6 (or 7) TdF wins wasn't amazing? Would you not admire someone for being the first non-European to win the TdF (keeping in mind that was what, the 83rd TdF) and then to go on and win it two more times after a serious injury and with only 3 teammates for one of those?

"I am not a role model." -- Charles Barkley
Old 06-17-05, 07:07 AM
jsliderc

Bikes: SyCip/Campy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by celticfrost
It is Lemond. And is he wearing some cheap, knock-off version of a LiveStrong bracelet? .
Ride event wrist band, please don't give Greg the credit... LOL
Old 06-17-05, 07:12 AM
Feltup
Pain Cleanseth

Bikes: On*One Imbred (commuter), Specialized Rockcombo(commuter)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
His comments about a fellow American rider make him a shatbag. Armstrong had nothing but good things to say about Lemond before Lemond started crying. Lemond's comments show his character.
Old 06-17-05, 07:39 AM
spackler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Feltup
His comments about a fellow American rider make him a shatbag. Armstrong had nothing but good things to say about Lemond before Lemond started crying. Lemond's comments show his character.
So we're comparing what we perceive one person's character to be based on a snippet of a comment to another person's character that is based on the lack of comments?

What if a horribly bad but famous and accomplished person made no comments? Would you pick to favor that person over someone else?

Could LA's comments directed back not show a lack of character? Why should he stoop to Greg's level if Greg is such a bad guy?

Hey, I'm not trying to disrespect either one, I think they are/were amazing cyclists. But I'm not going to idolize or look up to either one or live my life differently b/c they are/were amazing cyclists. And I'm not going to pick one over the other based on some comments made to a liberal media when I don't know what the actual comment was or the context behind it.
Old 06-17-05, 08:11 AM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Greg's looong career as a bitter crybaby did not start after he retired. He was a nasty, bitter crybaby at the peak of his career. In 1987, Greg and Kent Gordis wrote his "Complete Book of Bicycling". In his book, he makes several points over and over:

- he is the most talented cyclist ever, and anyone who does not see that INSTANTLY is a moron

- everyone in the world except his father and his wife are enemies, out to get him

- he never lost a race unless (he was sick, the other teams ganged up on him, his OWN team ganged up on him...fill in as many excuses as you can think of).

Typical Greg "thoughts": "I was confused, angry, frustrated and depressed...I felt suspicious of Hinault's motives...I felt misled...was Hinault my teammate or my rival?"

"I felt there was going to be a war between Hinault and myself..." (Hinault was his team leader, NOT his bitter enemy...hard to tell that in Greg's telling.)

"shackled by team tactics, I had finished second to Hinault"...(Greg NEVER finished less than first without treachery on someone's part.)

"...I had to fight my own team most of the way."

"I had to play the team game. Hinaualt was TECHNICALLY still the leader." (Greg demands the team be loyal to Greg. But Greg saw teamwork as a "game" where your leader is only "technically" your leader - feel free to think YOU are the real leader).

"...where I finished ninth desite a flattish course that never broke up the bunch". Greg would often complain about the course, the weather, the wind when he lost. The winner seems to have been riding on a different course, riding in different weather, and had a different wind.

"...the mechanic fumbled with the wheel, costing me more precious time...I took the bike and flung it at the car and quit the race." (My eight year old nephew threw a tantrum like this in basketball game. I told him his NEXT tantrum means he was going home...but I've never had to "coach" a two year old like Greg.)

"...the weather turned out to be despicable...the longer I stayed in France the more out of shape I became." (It was the weather's fault Greg got fat in the winter. The skinny guys had different weather.)

"I finished second in the world championship...a surprising performance...I had had a stomach virus that left me completely exhausted". (When you can't blame the weather, blame a stomach virus.)

"the rain in Spain was relentless and when it wasn't raining, it was cold. My riding contine to deteriorate." (It is never rainy or cold on the winner's side of the road, according to Greg.)

"I couldn't believe how fast Simon was riding and I simply couldn't keep up anymore...I finished in second place...a few days later...it was announced Simon had been caught using a substance called Micorene." (If someone beats me, he must be on better drugs than I am on.)

As you read Greg's book, you will become an expert on excuses. Even an excuse for why you signed a contract with "Team A", jumped to "Team B", and while under contract to "Team B", negotiated a contract with "Team C". In Greg's world, everyone is a snake, but someone has to be the "top" snake.

So, if you really want to know what a fat whiny crybaby sounds like, just read Greg's own book. No one in the world could give you a better insight into his "charm" than Greg himself.

But, the WORST of Greg's offenses: he has now made a full-time career out of spreading false rumors about Lance. Saying something like "Winning the Tour seven times in a row would be GREAT, if you really could do it without using illegal drugs" is a bit like saying "Your wife would be a charming lady and a wonderful mother, IF that wasn't her I saw dancing nude at a Las Vegas strip club".

The "IF" that Greg likes to use when he smears Lance is there NOT because Greg likes using the word "IF". That word is there because Greg has been involved in many, many lawsuits, most of which HE filed against people who did business with him. Greg thinks you can smear someone's reputation, damage their ability to get sponsorships and endorsements, and the word "IF" will save your rear down at the courthouse.

I kinda hope that after Lance retires, they are both at the same event. And Greg starts running his mouth. Because a "retired" Lance will be able to do some things that "racing" Lance is not allowed to do. Give Greg something to REALLY cry about.

Last edited by alanbikehouston; 06-17-05 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-17-05, 08:26 AM
spackler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so we've established that Greg may/may not be: currently overweight, egomaniacal, not to bright (per what he wrote in his book), whiny, ahole, not a big fan of LA, nice to everyone he meets, and quick to respond w/ an autograph.

But, does this mean that he was not a great cyclist when he was riding pro?

I've heard people say a lot of bad things about LA as well... he may/may not be cheating, not a fan of Greg's, egomaniacal, extremely difficult to work with, extremely hard on his teammates and others, anal retentive, whiny, and giving.

I think we all agree that he is a great (the greatest?) cyclist though. Correct?

So what is the real issue w/ Greg? Is it just that the majority of us "know" LA better due to the media blitz and the fact that he's currently riding vs Greg that rode back in the late 80's/early 90's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.