Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wave Cell helmets by Bontrager

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 06:43 AM
GaIslander

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.0 DI2, Trek Domane 4, Trek Marlin 6, Trek FX 7.5, Electra Townie Path

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am curious to know what others experience is with the these helmets. I purchased a Specter Wave Cell Helmet which looks and fits great. I have found that the helmet is so poorly ventilated it is unusable here in warmer weather and higher relative humidity. I am thinking of cutting out sections of the wave cell material blocking the vents to improve the air flow.
Old 09-17-19, 08:58 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Don't do that. Your helmet is designed carefully to protect your noggin, and cutting stuff out will leave you unprotected in unpredictible ways. But doesn't Trek/Bontrager have a 100% satisfaction guarantee? If the guarantee applies, trade the thing in for a MIPs model (the Bontrager Circuit MIPs is the same price).

The research seems to show that the Wave Cell and MIPS technologies both do a good (significantly better than non-MIPS and non-Wave Cell) job of protecting your noodle.

Thanks for sharing this data point, in any case.
Old 09-17-19, 09:39 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I read several similar complaints about the wave cell helmets...poor circulation. I bought a MIPS helmet instead. I guess a wave cell helmet would be great in the winter when you don't need cooling?

Definitely don't cut out the lining material, that would be negating the benefit of the wave cell protection.
Old 09-17-19, 10:38 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Any chance of returning the helmet and getting a different one?
Old 09-17-19, 02:08 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I’ve been using a Specter Wave cell helmet since April with no issues. Many 90°+ and high humidity days. I guess ventilation is subjective.
Old 09-17-19, 04:06 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Any chance of returning the helmet and getting a different one?
Any Bontrager product can be returned within thirty days for any reason.
Old 09-17-19, 09:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Save it for cooler weather. Several friends got WaveCel helmets this year and wear 'em even in Texas summer heat. But the helmets looked hot and felt heavy to me.

I got a POC Omne Air Spin. Best ventilated helmet I've worn -- the design really scoops air across my scalp, and I can feel it even through my hair, which is long and thick. Other folks with POCs say the same of their Octal and Ventral helmets. POCs have thicker EPS foam than most helmets and should offer good protection.

The POC Omne Air Spin is their lowest priced helmet, more of a commuter style helmet but with excellent ventilation. The Octal and Ventral are more roadie oriented. But I'm pretty satisfied with the Omne Air Spin, although I can see the overhanging brow at the top of my peripheral vision when I'm in the drops on my road bikes.
Old 09-17-19, 09:38 PM
GGreenhorn

Bikes: Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was going to buy a different helmet (Bell Z20) than OP from Trek and asked about return policy. The lady said 14 days to return and it cannot have been worn, unless it was just around the house for fit and sizing. So it would seem they have a diffident return policy between Bontrager or other brand products... I did not use, returned and bought a Specialized Tactic III from a different place. Reason being the Bell Z20 was a bit much bubble head and I wanted something with a small visor.
Old 09-18-19, 10:21 AM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 162 Posts
I've been using a Specter WaveCel helmet since mid June and I don't find it to be heavy or hot. (shrug)
Old 09-18-19, 11:30 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I'm pretty happy with this helmet. I have not found it "hotter" at all and i use it all the time in hot weather. I am bald and clip my (remaining) hair short, which apparently makes a difference when it comes to ventilation with this helmet. It does weigh 50-100g more than a comparable MIPS helmet, something I don't personally notice but others might. I will say it's very comfortable for me and has a very good retention system. Also, the magnetic clasp is very easy to use. Turn your glasses upside down and the helmet can retain them well in the vents.

Two relatively minor complaints I do have:
1. The helmet is cut fairly low in the front, likely for impact reasons. This does not impinge on the glasses I wear but it gets close, especially with a cap on underneath the helmet. I would check fit with glasses and a cap before buying this.
2. The chin strap loosens too easily. I have to re-tighten mid ride every once in a while. Hardly a deal killer but annoying.
Old 09-20-19, 10:30 AM
GaIslander

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.0 DI2, Trek Domane 4, Trek Marlin 6, Trek FX 7.5, Electra Townie Path

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Returned the Wavecell Specter for a Circut MIPS

After reading all the replies, I still felt the helmet did not have enough ventilation for me and my area. I took the Wavecell Specter to the my local Trek Dealer - LBS and they quickly exchanged it for a Bontrager Circuit MIPS helmet. All is good. Thanks.
Old 09-20-19, 11:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Igotdibs
I've been using a Specter WaveCel helmet since mid June and I don't find it to be heavy or hot. (shrug)
It's almost like OP lives in Georgia and you live in Washington state.
Old 09-21-19, 10:04 AM
Theycallmegio

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have wave cell helmet.

i definitely feel less ventilation. What irks me more is not being able to scratch my head through the vents when I get an itch.

I also like to dump water on my head periodically during a ride, wavecell kinda sucks for that.

Otherwise its a fine helmet