Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is the most awesome wheelset I could buy with $500.00??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What is the most awesome wheelset I could buy with $500.00??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 02:52 PM
StalkerZERO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StalkerZERO
Nice stuff. If I were to buy them I would go with the m28 aeros. But their spokes are stainless steel. How do they compare with the kysyrium SLs being aluminum?
And also, why are the neuvations so cheap?
Old 05-04-06, 02:55 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all parts sourced from china. look at his website. he explains.

www.neuvationcycling.com
Old 05-04-06, 03:01 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Bladed spokes are heavy and kitey in a crosswind. If you use a normal amount of 'em you end up with a heavy windsail of a wheel. If you use less you mitigate that effect somewhat but you have to put them under a lot of tension. If they break the wheel usually goes waaay out of true and is unrideable.
I never noticed a problem with crosswinds on bladed spokes in my limited experience with them, but I agree that they are very heavy and don't get enough aero to compensate for the weight in my opinion.
Old 05-04-06, 03:05 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I never noticed a problem with crosswinds on bladed spokes in my limited experience with them, but I agree that they are very heavy and don't get enough aero to compensate for the weight in my opinion.
So bladed spokes are overrated in your opinion? Perhaps the blades were too wide? Who else has had experiencs with bladed spokes? Also, why do u think your set were too heavy urbanknight? Which wheels did you have again?
Old 05-04-06, 03:11 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've ridden Neuvation M28 Aeros, Ksyrium Elites, and Topolino AC29's. All had bladed spokes. The wind would really tug at the Elites and Topo's. The Neuvations weren't as bad but they are extremely low spoke wheels.
Old 05-04-06, 03:20 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would that be true of the campagnolo zondas as well?
Old 05-04-06, 03:22 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

So bladed spokes are overrated in your opinion? Perhaps the blades were too wide? Who else has had experiencs with bladed spokes? Also, why do u think your set were too heavy urbanknight? Which wheels did you have again?
That's my opinion, although there are tons of time trialists who disagree, but then again they don't seem to give a @#$% about weight. The only bladed spoke wheel I ever rode more than 10 miles on, however, was a Shamal which had 16 spokes. All others I only tested out for a few miles by trading with friends.

My bike came with Veloce hubs, 32h 3X double butted spokes with Fir Net97 rims. The fact that the Net97 rims alone weigh 570 grams each is why I say they're too heavy. 1100 in just rims, you know there's no way to make a set under 1800! That's why I'm willing to do such a silly things with it, because even if I snap a spoke, the rim should still hold up (it's a mid V design) so I can limp home and tear the wheels apart to sell the hubs.
Old 05-04-06, 03:37 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok then I think I've narrowed them down to........

campagnolo zonda's versus neuvation m28 aeros.

Which would you get between the two and why. :|
Old 05-04-06, 03:38 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Although a custom job is not totally out of the question yet.
Old 05-04-06, 03:41 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Fair enough. If you decide to go custom, let me know and I'll let you know some great rim choices. Aside from that, I don't have a preference between those two, but I'm sure plenty of people will chime in in 3... 2... 1...
Old 05-04-06, 03:42 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so that white power thread was disturbing :| ..............

Anyways, although custom designed and built wheels are tempting I feel I just might go the lazy route and get one pre-made. So its the zondas vs the m28 aeros. I'm still wondering which though.

Also, I think I'm tough enough to handle the crosswinds if the benefits of wheelsets like these are appealing enough.
Old 05-04-06, 03:43 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fair enough. If you decide to go custom, let me know and I'll let you know some great rim choices. Aside from that, I don't have a preference between those two, but I'm sure plenty of people will chime in in 3... 2... 1...
....1......1......1..... still no opinions yet.

But let me know about some great rim choices anyway man! If they are creative and attractive enough I'll drop the zondas and neuvations like a pair of old cycling shoes.
Old 05-04-06, 03:53 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Velocity Deep V

https://velocityusa.com/rims/road-rims.php
Comes in Black, Bright Gold, Bright Silver, Bubble Gum Pink, Chocolate Brown, Electric Blue, Electric Red, Eggplant Purple, Lemon Yellow, Lime Green, Tangerine Orange, Ti Grey, and White

Got a pic of your bike? We can then decide what color rims would look good on it, and I can even show it to my fiancee (graduate of Pasadena Art Center) and get her color theory opinions. I have to go see her in 10 min to help her move out of her studio (she just finished her 3rd degree, this time in interior architecture).
Old 05-04-06, 03:56 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I wish I still had a pic of my GT. I put Velocity Deep Vs on it, but this was before they offered them in so many colors, so I had actually taken my brother's and my BB races, cranks, seatposts, and rims to be custom anodized medium blue. Looked great on a polished aluminum frame with yellow saddle and tires, matching the blue and yellow GT stickers.
Old 05-04-06, 03:57 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NICE! :|
I'll update this thread tommorow gotta run to the time clock. Peace til lata
Old 05-04-06, 08:21 PM
burtonbiker

Bikes: Spec Allez Sport '04

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the Velomax listed at $779 at my LBS for a cool $500 - seems they loaned them out for one day and dude put a very small chip in one of them (rock or curb?) they sanded it off a bit, always back up their work - I figured what the heck and like them alot. Felt like a different bike.
Old 05-04-06, 08:35 PM
CCFISH81

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Bontrager Race- My father the Race lite's - So naturally i've tried them both on my bike the difference- not 100 bucks worth go with the bontrager Race- and still have money left over -

https://www.bontrager.com/Road/Wheelw...heels/5774.php
Old 05-04-06, 09:25 PM
craign04
Fahren auf den Autobahn

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, 2004 Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice stuff. If I were to buy them I would go with the m28 aeros. But their spokes are stainless steel. How do they compare with the kysyrium SLs being aluminum?
Originally Posted by Mavic.com
ZICRAL
What is it ?
Aluminum alloy with very high strength characteristics

Benefits :

* At equal weight, a Zicral spoke is 10% stronger than a stainless steel spoke
* A Ksyrium or Crossmax profiled Zicral spoke is more lightweight than a traditional round steel spoke
^^^
Old 05-04-06, 09:40 PM
jdcowboy
Just born yesterday

Bikes: Giant TCR SL, Trek SuperFly 100

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the R28 Aeros and they are great. No problems except for needing to replace the stock rim strip because they pinch flatted alot. Easy to clean and they look great. Had them over 1800 miles and have done several centuries, with LOTS of climbing. Still true. Incredible customer service from John at Neuvation. That in itself it worth more than most of us know. I've emailed him about stuff and the owner personally answers the emails!! I think they are reasonably light and a very good buy, but only $399, about $424 with shipping. Spend the other $75 on some good tires.
Old 05-04-06, 10:36 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
I went with R28SL2 because I did not want to take a chance on the bladed spokes causing me problems in the wind. Very windy where I live. Also a LBS had the R 28 SL2 in stock so I had them the same day I decided to buy.
Old 05-05-06, 12:25 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

probably the zondas, but the reynolds alta you really should take a look at. top quality parts in that one. I'd definitely choose a reynolds wheel over a chinese parts neuvation.
Old 05-05-06, 06:04 AM
rruff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Aero spokes are *not* heavy... CX-rays, Aerolites, XE14s and AE15s are about the lightest you can get. Rims are heavier, though... usually 50-100g each. If you are looking for speed, the aero benefit out"weighs" the weight issue in almost every circumstance. You have to be climbing a 10% grade before a 200g heavier aero wheelset gets beaten.

In any case it is a small difference in speed, though.

Aero rims are also radially stiffer which reduces the cyclic stress on the spokes... and that's a good thing.
Old 05-05-06, 07:22 AM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by burtonbiker
I got the Velomax listed at $779 at my LBS for a cool $500 - seems they loaned them out for one day and dude put a very small chip in one of them (rock or curb?) they sanded it off a bit, always back up their work - I figured what the heck and like them alot. Felt like a different bike.
Basically what I am trying to achieve with a purchase is noticing a different "feel" with my bike. A good one. I want to gain some power or speed. Yes yes, I know its all in the "engine" but I'm working on that.
Also, I want to gaze upon the bike after a long ride and have my mouth water. Yes I think the looks are important too.

Ok, I'm back at work with nothing to do again so I'm updating the thread. Urbanknight those rims you showed me are nice but do you have any other sources that have rims with cool designs on them as well as different colors?
Old 05-05-06, 07:25 AM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by craign04
^^^
So we're talking about strength to weight ratio? I can't remember what the weight of the neuvations are vs the kysyrium SLs. But I guess this means the SLs are lighter than the neuvations but have the same strength?
Old 05-05-06, 07:28 AM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdcowboy
I have the R28 Aeros and they are great. No problems except for needing to replace the stock rim strip because they pinch flatted alot. Easy to clean and they look great. Had them over 1800 miles and have done several centuries, with LOTS of climbing. Still true. Incredible customer service from John at Neuvation. That in itself it worth more than most of us know. I've emailed him about stuff and the owner personally answers the emails!! I think they are reasonably light and a very good buy, but only $399, about $424 with shipping. Spend the other $75 on some good tires.
The savings over other wheels is because of the use of steel and the fact that putting on tires with this wheel is a pain? Would that be the general assessment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.