Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Umm.. how much do you weigh?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-04, 09:18 PM
RGee

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper and Cannondale road warrior 400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually how much do you figure your fully loaded commuter weighs? I just weighed mine (out of curiosity..no weight weinie here ) and it came out to about 37lbs. I don't think that's much but started to wonder about others? Obviously there's probably a lot of variation considering all of the different kinds of bikes/equipment everyone is using. I'm riding with pretty minimum stuff..at least i think so. Cannondale with rack and trunk bag.
Jay
Old 12-17-04, 12:41 AM
RedHairedScot
So say we all.

Bikes: Gary Fischer Wahoo, upgraded Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My laptop is the heaviest part of my gear: 7.9lbs. (Plus the power brick -- make it an even 8.5lbs) Book + notebook + spare clothes + backpack weight generally puts me around 20-22lbs. (Graduate student, 12-mile commute.)
Old 12-17-04, 12:50 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
One of my commuters weighs about 30 pounds, without personal daily stuff added. I load it up, its pushing 40 plus. It's the most fun to ride, if not the fastest steed in the stable. I think it's the steel rims and basket...
Old 12-17-04, 01:52 AM
junioroverlord
Better than you since 83!

Bikes: Fixed Gear 79 Schwinn Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With me included....probally about 200lbs.
Old 12-17-04, 06:01 AM
andygates
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My loaded winterised commuter? An easy 38lbs. And then you stick my 230-lb plus clothes arse on top of it. Gotta be three hundred pounds of pain on the road.
Old 12-17-04, 06:39 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My old commuter was heavy enough but my new Jamis Nova with Jandd heavy duty rack weighs about 4-5 pounds more. I think heavy duty really means heavy weight for stupid people to haul around on the backs of their bikes. I haven't weighed it yet but I'm guessing close to 40 pounds fully loaded.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-17-04, 06:56 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Bike is 25 lbs as ridden with pedals, lights, Jandid Mtb saddle bag, trailer hitch for trailerbike and 700c x 28mm tires. I don't have a rack or fenders or any of that stuff though. My ride is only 3.54 miles each way so no big deal, honestly can't wait until my company opens it's new factory next fall (hopefully) as it will at least double my commute.

I do plan on getting a rack for the back.

Oh and the rider is 220 which I plan on getting lower (was 255 this time last year..I guess I don't get to say that for much longer huh?)
Old 12-17-04, 10:00 AM
Anthony King

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't want to know what mine weighs. The bike is 29 lbs stock (w/o rack, fenders, u-lock). The last time I was at my LBS I was tempted to use their scale, but I felt I would be psychologically handicapping myself to know exactly how heavy my beast is. I'm guessing its usually around 40 lbs. I carry plenty of tools, just in case, and I always have some books, which can get heavy. It's heavy enough that the last time a bike shop worker picked it up he asked "What do you have in there?" looking at the bag. I was packing light that day. I'd rather truck around a few more pounds everyday than break down once and not have a tool needed to get back on the road.
Old 12-17-04, 10:08 AM
Corsaire
Dancing on the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Volpe fully loaded to work: panniers with clothing and lunch, lights, tools bag, etc. is almost 30 lbs. plus me at 154.5 lbs (naked) fully clothed perhaps 158 so brings me to: 188 lbs total weight on the road.
Corsaire
Old 12-17-04, 10:18 AM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is about 22lbs, the bag usually weighs at least 15lbs...
Old 12-17-04, 11:15 AM
billh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can't we make this a poll so can answer anonymously? Geesh, I feel like such a woman being self conscious about weight (no offense to females). Cyclists are worse than fashion models when it comes to weight.
Old 12-17-04, 12:24 PM
super-douper
Powered by PB&J

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
havn't weighed my new bike yet, but I weighed my old setup one day before I went to work. 45lbs. Mountain bike (suspension forks), rack, panniers, laptop, clothes, towel, toiletries, tools, ulock and cable lock. I don't think i had my headlight at that time.

I'll have to set the new bike on the scale soon. I no longer carry the laptop every day, but I do have a headlight and heavy battery.
Old 12-17-04, 12:30 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
When I was commuting, my full-rigid steel MTB wieghed in at around 27lbs. Add in the rear rack, seat-bag and panniers and it was probably pushing close to 30lbs. Add in the lights, clothes, small "toiletry kit", shoes and other essentials (lock, spare tube, repair kit, etc) and it's jumped up to close to 40lbs. I didn't carry around a laptop in those days. Add in me plus a backpack full of school/work stuff and the whole package was around 175lbs. Of course these days it would be closer to 190lbs. I guess since I'd probably lug around a laptop and have gained about 10lbs. since then.
Old 12-17-04, 02:34 PM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with what i ride, i would not be surprised if our combined total topped 250 lbs... as I said in another thread, I carry too much $#it!
Old 12-17-04, 02:40 PM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is 30 pounds (recumbent), add another 15-20 for backpack, lunch, and tools. I weigh about 140. Probably close to 200 pounds loaded on the road.

'bent Brian
Old 12-17-04, 03:28 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the bike is about 14kg. I weighed the panniers I drag with me every day and they weighed in at about 16kg.
Old 12-17-04, 04:39 PM
Rogerinchrist

Bikes: TREK-520 & 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthony King
I don't want to know what mine weighs.
Ditto.

Empty bike is 30 lbs, in colder weather the bike + load probably goes around 80.
Old 12-17-04, 09:14 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike is 30 pounds stock.

I carry very little because I commute in my street clothes and shoes. I have a very light Old Man Mtn rack and plastic fenders. When I go to the farmer's market then I think the rear end of the bike finally weighs as much as the front. It's a recumbent.
Old 12-17-04, 09:25 PM
TrevorInSoCal

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure about my gear. I carry a Timbuk2 bag stuffed with a powerbook in a protective sleeve/case, clothes, tool-pouch, ipod, lunch and, during the winter, a nite-rider battery. Probably about 15 lbs. total. Heavier when I forget to charge the NiteRider and have to throw the charger in too. That thing adds at least another pound.

I seem to be in the minority here as far as bike weight. My commuter is actually pretty light, at just under 18 lbs. Get rid of all those extra gears and related hardware and it's not too hard to make a bike light .

I'm right around 160.

That brings the total to slightly under 200 lbs.

-Trevor
Old 12-17-04, 10:51 PM
cryogenic
Campy or bust :p

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey commuter build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, my bike weighs 32 lbs, my light weighs 2 lbs.. I don't have a rack or panniers, but I carry a backpack that ranges between 5 lbs and 12 lbs. I weigh 130. Figure a 10 lb bag on average + 34 lbs for bike & light. 176 lbs total. I'm a lightweight.
Old 12-18-04, 03:20 PM
clevernamehere

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I just weighed my bike (2004 Marin Larkspur hybrid) - about 31-32 pounds including:
- rear rack
- freddy fenders
- studded tires
- kick stand

I typically ride with one panier weighing between 3 & 8 pounds depending on the day.
I would guess my total weight with winter gear would be around 195 to 200 pounds.

So... if I filled my tires with helium, what would be the effective weight reduction? Or if I rode around with 10-20 helium balloons, would the reduced weight be offset by the extra wind resistance of the baloons?

Old 12-18-04, 05:04 PM
cogdriven 

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Karate Monkey, Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My track bike weighs 20 lbs. Besides that I carry a water bottle, a uni tool and a surly wrench. I'm fortunate to have a place to shower and store spare clothes at work and a way to get them there without carrying them on the bike. I recommend trying to pare your load. It really adds to the quality of the ride-running this light.
Old 12-18-04, 05:11 PM
cryogenic
Campy or bust :p

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey commuter build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm debating on getting a new wheelset for my bike... it'll knock a couple pounds of rotating mass off, plus they're better hubs so they should stand up better than my cheapie joy-techs that came on the bike.
Old 12-18-04, 05:26 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Rotating mass isn't as important as what people think it is.
Old 12-18-04, 05:52 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by clevernamehere
So... if I filled my tires with helium, what would be the effective weight reduction? Or if I rode around with 10-20 helium balloons, would the reduced weight be offset by the extra wind resistance of the baloons?
You might want to consider the fact that decreasing weight by increasing bouyancy is not the same thing as decreasing mass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.