Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking for a bag

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Looking for a bag

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 01:00 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Looking for a bag

Ok so I am looking for a bag for my bike. I have a rear rack (some cheap Ascent model) FWIW. My goal is to be able to get what I need where I am going.

Simple right?

Here is my issue I need to carry a fully inflated volleyball and my court shoes. So I wear size 11 running shoes and the ball is ~7.5" in dia. Is there a trunk rack that will fit this? Panniers? Just stick with my back pack?

Thanks
Old 01-24-05, 01:05 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Try a bungy cord for the shoes and a cargo net for the volleyball.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-24-05, 01:22 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Originally Posted by RonH
Try a bungy cord for the shoes and a cargo net for the volleyball.
I would really like to get them covered up a bit due to the weather. Currently there is a bunch of snow so melting snow and salt and stuff on the leather ball and in/on my shoes is not a welcome addition. I could stick them in a plastic bag or something I suppose but I was hoping for something a bit more elegant.
Old 01-24-05, 01:27 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
How about a bowling ball bag? You might be able to get the ball and shoes in the bag, then bungie it to the rack.
Old 01-24-05, 01:27 PM
super-douper
Powered by PB&J

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once carried a soccer ball on top of my rack using velcro cable ties, my u-lock and a cable lock.

Put the soccer ball in the middle of the rack, velcro the straight bar of the u-lock to the front of the rack and lean onto the ball. Looped the cable lock into a small circle about 8" in diameter, velcro'd the circle lock to the rear of the rack and leaned it onto the back side of the soccer ball. Then I velcro'd the ulock to the cable lock where they met on top of the soccer ball. Worked pretty good. You might be able to do something similar, and put your shoes underneath the ball or something.

I didn't have any bungee cords with me, but if I did, i would have used them to secure the ball. You can hook one bungee at the front of the rack from right side to left side making a U shape. Then do the same on the rear, but run the rear bungee through the U of the front bungee. Might work.

Or deflate the ball and take a needle. If there's a gas station with free air near your destination, just pump it up there and ride a block with the ball under your shirt. You'll look pregnant, but it'll get the job done.
Old 01-24-05, 01:30 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by supcom
How about a bowling ball bag? You might be able to get the ball and shoes in the bag, then bungie it to the rack.
Hmm now there could be the answer. It would look a little goofy walking into the gym with the bowling ball bag but that is a bit of my style anyway.

So now I need some yard sales or something so I can fine a crappy bowling ball bag.
Old 01-24-05, 01:35 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Anyone have one of these? I am wondering if the ball would be secure on the top under the bungee strap. I would hate to have to replace a $40 VB because it went bouncing down the street and under a car when I hit a bump.
Old 01-24-05, 01:43 PM
super-douper
Powered by PB&J

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Anyone have one of these? I am wondering if the ball would be secure on the top under the bungee strap. I would hate to have to replace a $40 VB because it went bouncing down the street and under a car when I hit a bump.
I use that trunk bag every day. You won't be able to get a volleyball under the bungee on top. And when you put stuff on top, it makes the whole thing unstable and sway back and forth. I have had to run straps to the seatpose to secure this thing and keep it from swaying like crazy when I put even a loaf of bread on top.
Old 01-24-05, 01:46 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by super-douper
I use that trunk bag every day. You won't be able to get a volleyball under the bungee on top. And when you put stuff on top, it makes the whole thing unstable and sway back and forth. I have had to run straps to the seatpose to secure this thing and keep it from swaying like crazy when I put even a loaf of bread on top.
Well thanks for that, we will write that one right off the list. LOL
Old 01-24-05, 01:53 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Not sure which way to go on the bowling ball bag. There are several retro style options.
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...128836402&rd=1
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...128750817&rd=1
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...128837495&rd=1
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...128861144&rd=1

Or there is the newer style:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...129022055&rd=1
Old 01-24-05, 02:25 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I'm partial to the Pooh bag myself. For large items(VB) try a kayak dry bag. I alway use 'em for big stuff. They have them in all shapes and sizes. Here's some from Sierra trading
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...st_display.htm
Charlie
Old 01-24-05, 02:34 PM
KleinRider

Bikes: '95 Klein Attitude and Quantum, '92 Trek 830

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AFA the kid's bags, I would double check to make sure your shoes would fit. I would guess if they do, it would be really close.
Old 01-24-05, 02:40 PM
Mr_Super_Socks

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Ok so I am looking for a bag for my bike. I have a rear rack (some cheap Ascent model) FWIW. My goal is to be able to get what I need where I am going.

Simple right?

Here is my issue I need to carry a fully inflated volleyball and my court shoes. So I wear size 11 running shoes and the ball is ~7.5" in dia. Is there a trunk rack that will fit this? Panniers? Just stick with my back pack?

Thanks
I have a set of vaude panniers. they are pretty big and are expandable. you won't will style points since it's not campy or slick, but it will easily fit your shoes and whatever else -- and the expandable top portion, which works like the expandable tops of most internal frame backpacks, would easily accomodate your ball. it has a built in rain cover, too.
Old 01-24-05, 03:18 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I've seen duffle bags designed to mount on bike racks. I'm sure that'll work.
Old 01-24-05, 09:06 PM
junioroverlord
Better than you since 83!

Bikes: Fixed Gear 79 Schwinn Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.baileyworks.com/products/SPRO.php

Nuff said.
Old 01-25-05, 09:41 AM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Check your local SPorts Authority or similar store. They often have bowling supplies and may have several styles of bags for you to check out.
Old 01-25-05, 01:16 PM
skord
Commuter Nut

Bikes: 05 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm really partial to messenger bags, and I just tested a soccer ball, shoes, and a two changes of clothes in both of my bags. My wallet, keys, soap, washcloth, tools, lube, rags, tube, and emergency inflator were already in the smaller bag.

Smaller bag is a Patagonia Critical mass, I really like it for a few reasons. The cross body strap works on either side, and works as a cross-chest or waist strap. It's got a LARGE reflective strip on the back, and it holds a heck of a lot more than it appears to. OOO, nearly forgot about the built in laptop pouch. It fits on my body the best, provides better balance than any other thing I've tried (racks, backpacks, etc), and it's REALLY tough.

The bigger bag is a Chrome Kremlin. I could probably write novels about how much I love the thing, but I still think the patagonia (while smaller) is designed a bit better. You could fit all the previous stuff listed and a team member or two in it.

The reason I think a messenger bag would work well for you is that you can put all your stuff in it and take it everywhere. IMHO, I think they work better than backpacks at distributing weight. Stablizers are a MUST, which is why I didn't go with a Manhattan Portage bag for my #2 bag. You can even get a lot of use out of it when you're not on your bike, like I am now while I'm on crutches.
Old 01-25-05, 01:22 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Thanks I will look into the Patagonia CM. There is nothing terribly wrong with the back pack I am using now but with a rear rack I was hoping to get the bag off me and onto the bike.