Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Energy supplement alternatives

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-15, 02:28 PM
Photogshooter14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not entirely sure where this question belongs so forgive me if it should be posted in a different section...

For whatever reason, sugar and caffeine have zero effect on me (110% absolute immunity to their intended effects). I've even used those max strength energy shot drinks while doing night (vehicle) driving and no effect. So my question is this... Are there any other types of energy boosts for biking that might work well for me? I rarely use them but I'm more curious for those super long endurance type rides where that extra bit of energy might help.
Old 01-01-15, 02:37 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you don't need a boost, you need appropriate nutrition for duration and effort. sub 3 hr., water is appropriate if you have a reasonable diet. beyond that or if you are training those types of hrs day after day, water to drink, and 200-300 cal./ hr. of food. check out "feed zone portables" by skratch labs, great nutritional information.
Old 01-01-15, 02:43 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
+1 for portables. the cinn/apple rice cakes are my go to for centuries for a good mid ride snack. supplemented by gels and gummies while riding
Old 01-01-15, 03:11 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
couple lines and a monster drink, I'm good.
Old 01-01-15, 03:34 PM
Gyrine

Bikes: Pinarello ROKH, Raleigh POS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple of ideas:
1) you don't need to buy the sugar scratch labs sells ... it's just table sugar that you already have at home.
2) if sugar and caffeine truely don't do anything for you then ...
3) you need more conditioning to get in shape for the long endurance tides
Old 01-01-15, 03:43 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
^^^ +1

Also up the dose of caffeine. It takes 200mg+ to have significant effect. If you're inured to it from drinking lots of coffee, it takes more, like 400mg. Even with that, and feeling amped up from it, the effect is subtle.

Sugar itself does little except help replace glycogen you consume during vigorous exercise. It doesn't amp you up but rather prevents or delays bonking.

Last edited by Looigi; 01-01-15 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-01-15, 05:15 PM
Jakedatc

Originally Posted by Gyrine
A couple of ideas:
1) you don't need to buy the sugar scratch labs sells ... it's just table sugar that you already have at home.
2) if sugar and caffeine truely don't do anything for you then ...
3) you need more conditioning to get in shape for the long endurance tides
we weren't saying to buy the Skratch products but to make the home made snacks designed by pro tour chefs. they are more complex than just sugar

Portables | The Feed Zone Cookbook and Feed Zone Portables

can find many of the recipes for free and also tweek them for personal tastes.
Old 01-01-15, 06:31 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I bring along a LaraBar or two on my rides.
Old 01-01-15, 10:24 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
you don't need a boost, you need appropriate nutrition for duration and effort. sub 3 hr., water is appropriate if you have a reasonable diet. beyond that or if you are training those types of hrs day after day, water to drink, and 200-300 cal./ hr. of food. check out "feed zone portables" by skratch labs, great nutritional information.
I think this was the primary point of the reference.
Old 01-01-15, 11:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
As above, you don't need an energy boost. You just keep riding and eat enough so that you can do so. Your energy is between your ears. The main effect of caffeine in cycling is to spare glycogen, so even if you don't feel anything in particular, it's still doing you good.
Old 01-02-15, 12:47 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Real food. Keep eating small amounts early on. I like peanut butter and honey on a wrap type of bread.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-02-15, 06:43 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
You guys are all FOS. There is only one proper food for energy maintenance and replenishment on the bike: Snick, Snick, Snickers. Nuts, caramel, nougat, and that TdF favorite, chocolate. And nowadays they come in almost as many flavors as the stupid synthetic gels. What's not to like. Oh man, if it weren't such nasty weather here in the Big Easy today (and I had brought my bike) I would go out for a ride just so I could justify a little energy replenishment. The only downside is keeping them from melting in hot weather. That's why it is better to eat them before you start riding instead of during the ride.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-02-15, 08:56 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
You guys are all FOS. There is only one proper food for energy maintenance and replenishment on the bike: Snick, Snick, Snickers. Nuts, caramel, nougat, and that TdF favorite, chocolate. And nowadays they come in almost as many flavors as the stupid synthetic gels. What's not to like. Oh man, if it weren't such nasty weather here in the Big Easy today (and I had brought my bike) I would go out for a ride just so I could justify a little energy replenishment. The only downside is keeping them from melting in hot weather. That's why it is better to eat them before you start riding instead of during the ride.
the only way to eat chocolate on a ride is to stop at a shop. I have taken snickers in the back pocket on a hot day before. It was very difficult licking it off my back. My talents do not extend to contortionist.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-02-15, 09:12 AM
Jakedatc

I also don't like things that are super chewy while riding... i even moved from Clif bloks to Honey stinger gummies because they are less sticky and i can eat them and breathe at the same time. This is important in a group because you can eat and not get dropped.. though i usually do gel in groups unless there is a stop like on centuries.
Old 01-02-15, 12:29 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Ma Huang & Guarana. Responsibly!
Old 01-02-15, 12:54 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
the only way to eat chocolate on a ride is to stop at a shop. I have taken snickers in the back pocket on a hot day before. It was very difficult licking it off my back. My talents do not extend to contortionist.
Regular M&M, peanut M&M, almond M&M, dark chocolate M&M, pretzel M&M.....melts in you mouth not in your jersey-