Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fixed Gear Freestyle
Reload this Page >

Home-made 26" freestyle fixie bikes..........

Search
Notices
Fixed Gear Freestyle Trickbikes and Freestylers, here's your home! Here, you can discuss the ins and outs of building and riding these bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-23, 02:46 AM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts

Thinking of building a 26" fixed-gear freestyle bike using an old 90s Diamondback MTB frame, even if I have to braze in some track-style dropouts. This way I can have a light double-butted frame for cheap. It seems all the ready-made single-speed 26" bikes out there are either heavy or really expensive, so not for me. All I need to get me going is a fixie hub that is a nice fit in the Diamondback frame, and some track dropouts to braze in. Also since the frame is bare right now, I will need a nice light front fork to use with it. The rest will be easy.
Old 10-26-23, 05:41 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Your fork will need to be a straight blade, fork. Pay attention if your donor frame originally had a suspension fork or not. If it did, you will need to find a suspension corrected, straight blade fork. By the time you have your correct fork and your track fork ends brazed in the frame, you're approaching the cost of a used purpose-built bike.

Last edited by PhilFo; 10-26-23 at 05:45 AM.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 11-05-23, 06:49 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Some 80s ATBs have horizontal forward facing drop outs.
my RockHopper does and a HardRock that passed through my hands did.

and those are CHEAP now days.

of course track drop “backs” work better, but note you’d just be after wheels.