Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Buying a Dual Sport - 2 options

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-16, 10:47 AM
gmacintyre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All

1st post....45YO / 220lb looking to buy a Dual Sport bike...largely for road with light trails, occasional stuff a but rougher.

I'm looking at 2 bikes...2016 Crosstrail Comp ($1100 on sale from LBS) or the new DS 4 from Trek ($1149 MSRP).

Ridden the Crosstrail and a current year DS....happy with either geometry so wanted to see if there are any opinions out there on either of these options....is one better components that the other etc?

Was also looking at the new Crosstrail Carbon Elite but not sure if this is worth it?

Links to the bikes (and the Carbon) are below:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bi...17#buying-zone

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...mp-disc/106349

Carbon
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...-carbon/115132

Cheers, appreciate any feedback.

Gregor

Last edited by gmacintyre; 09-10-16 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-10-16, 06:44 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
These bikes are so close to each other on equipment, ride quality and with it fitting you, that it may come down to which color you like better and which LBS treated you better or offered you more.

When I shopped for my bike nearly 2 years ago, I had the same dilemma between the Crosstrail Sport and the DS 8.4. I ended up getting the Crosstrail, silly of a reason, but because I used to want to own a Specialized when I was younger and I've already owned a Trek. Either bike would have been fine. So which bike would you be happier with?

I've also always wanted to own a Bianchi.....hmmm, wonder if that should be my next bike...n+1........probably not.
Old 09-11-16, 04:19 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by gmacintyre
All

1st post....45YO / 220lb looking to buy a Dual Sport bike...largely for road with light trails, occasional stuff a but rougher.

I'm looking at 2 bikes...2016 Crosstrail Comp ($1100 on sale from LBS) or the new DS 4 from Trek ($1149 MSRP).

Ridden the Crosstrail and a current year DS....happy with either geometry so wanted to see if there are any opinions out there on either of these options....is one better components that the other etc?
Incredibly tough choice.

It literally could come down to the crankset.

Is the lowest gear on the Crosstrail, low enough for you?

Do you want a trouser guard?

Was also looking at the new Crosstrail Carbon Elite but not sure if this is worth it?

Cheers, appreciate any feedback.

Gregor
I'm struggling to get my head around the new front suspension system that Specialized is using with their "Brain" system and I don't see carbon as the natural choice of frame material for this class of bike, so it is an easy pass for me on the Carbon Crosstrails.
Old 09-12-16, 05:53 AM
gmacintyre

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks both, appreciate the feedback.....was reflecting on this last night and I'm leaning to the Trek....say some pics on the DS threads and it also look good. Now back to the LBS to see what they can do for me!
Old 09-13-16, 10:50 AM
jmohme

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently was in your position and just went to the LBS and test rode until I got on the DS 8.4. For me, everything just fell into place with that bike, so that is what I now ride.
Old 09-13-16, 11:52 AM
king_boru
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Take it from me. The SR Suntour shocks are not very good. Your body weight wont help the matter either (no offence, I'm the same size). You would be better off investing your hard earned into something with a decent front carbon fork. Cannondale have a few as does Giant and other manufacturers. If you are 90% road then that is what I would do. The weight savings will be beneficial as well.