Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vitus 992 appreciation thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 10:04 AM
Mushrooom

Bikes: Marinoni Ciclo 1999, Marinoni Fleur de Lys 1979, Conti Designer 84, Look 585 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts

Hey guys!

Lots of you helped me at different moments of the building process in finding the right parts or answering my newbie questions, so I'd like to thank you all by sharing my appreciation for what came out of this effort.

It's been a while since I started gathering the parts and whatnot. Almost a year ago to be exact. The frame was shipped to me by a friend in France and came with the original Shimano 600 groupset, all in pristine shape. The rest of the parts came from all kinds of different places. I know some of you will think I'm crazy for putting a threadless stem in there, but I wanted a compact handlebar and there weren't a thousand ways to do that. It's obviously an assault on its vintage vibe, but it's comfy, light, and I was ready to make that compromise.

Overall, this bike is the most responsive bike I've ever ridden. It's fast, it accelerates like crazy and it's not too prone to quivering over small road imperfections. Haven't abused it yet nor tried it under extreme conditions. But I'm in love already.

Here's how it's all set up:
Frame: Vitus 992 52cm (not sure of the year, would be grateful for any insight here)
Groupset: Campagnolo Chorus 2nd Gen 10sp
Wheelset: Campagnolo Eurus G3 (with Gatorskin tires)
Pedals: Shimano Ultegra 6800
Stem: Zipp Service Course SL 110mm
Handlebar: VNT Element 40cm
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite TT

How do you like your 992? Let's get this thread going!

Last edited by Mushrooom; 04-11-22 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-07-22, 07:17 PM
diomekes

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '88 Basso Loto, '89 Panasonic MC-5500, '92 Vitus 992

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Might as well add mine:

Mine came with a mix of 7400, 6400, and Mavic hubs, but the previous owner did not take care of the components (ground the finish off of the brake levers and rear derailer apparently). Today I switched the handle bars because I thought I didn't like the style that was on there (66), but when i took them off I noticed someone had cut part of the drops off, so they were shorter and that's what I didn't like about them. I put 64 style on there now.

The components and wheels I got from a 2000 Cannondale are in great shape, a bike that has now given me another purchase to look forward to (this was supposed to be it, but now I want one of those Cannondales in the right size). I know the wheels match, but it's almost a little too much red for me. I really wanted a purple frame, but I took what I could find...

I like it. Wish I could fit 25mm tires, but even the 23s look tight.

Last edited by diomekes; 04-11-22 at 12:50 PM.
Likes For diomekes: