Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Burning out

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Burning out

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-13, 08:01 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burning out

Hello! Do you guys ever feel extremely tired? Do you ever feel like you are startving, the skin in your face is pulling your eyes down and even standing up straight hurts? I have a feeling these things are not normal. I am drained... I think.

I've been training for a few months now and I have to say it is TOUGH! I only train about 10-12 hours a week but that seems to be enough with all the intervals and such. Putting down a good 150-200 miles a week on very hilly terrain seems to be my max.

My eating and sleeping habits have changed in order to accomodate this training. I sleep less because I have less time to sleep when I should actually be sleeping more to recover from the hard efforts. I eat about 1800 calories a day in an effort to lose weight. I have done it successfully and I am on my way to reach my goal soon enough. I quit smoking and drinking a few months back.

It seems like it is time to start taking things to the next level and putting up a more strict module or "lifestyle" around my training. I started getting weekly massages every monday to heal my torn up joints and muscles. I am about to start with sport nutrition coaching, this way I wont fill up on 1800 empty calories a day when I need actual nutrition so I can exercise without killing myself. I am going for a refit, my but, hammys, and knees hurt.

Sleep... this is a tough one. The times I am doing nothing I am sleeping. Unfortunately there is not enough time of me doing nothing. after spending 9 hours at work, 1.5 hours in traffic, 1.5hr on the bike and an 2 hours feeding myself + misc & significant other stuff it barely leaves 6-7 hours of sleep. I cant complain I know some people live with 4-5 still I feel that with the amount of working out I should be sleeping more.

All in all, I look and feel I am in great shape strength wise, aged a bit with the weight loss. I weigh almost 50 pounds less than a year ago and I can consider myself a strong recreational rider and soon enough racer (if it matters to anybody). However; do not necessarily feel healthy.

Should I address my concerns or just HTFU!? I know Katy Perry says "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" but I am not sure this isn't quite killing me.

Peace!
Luis
Old 10-30-13, 08:25 AM
Cyclelogikal
An Average Joe

Bikes: '13 Orbea Orca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have a annual physical and get a blood panel done? If not I would to check all your readings. Just a start to see if it is a serious issue or just something else.
Old 10-30-13, 08:27 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
"Should I address my concerns or just HTFU!?"

Do you have a specific goal that you're working towards? If not, you should seriously consider setting one or more. If so, then how are you progressing towards said goal?
What's your age?

Personally, I must have a specific goal and timeline set to put in the kind of dedication and effort that your exhibiting. I can train for Six Gap, cyclocross season, or just to keep up with the fast group on group rides, but I need to have a reason to put in all that work. There also needs to be some benchmark, some way to measure progress towards the end goal.

It sounds like you have made tremendous progress that you can be extremely proud of (50 frigging lbs), but what is it you want? Where do you want to go?
Old 10-30-13, 08:28 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
You need time off the bike for your body to recover and rebuild. Constantly pushing it, breaking yourself down and never recovering is counter-productive. You'll be faster and in better shape if you take a couple of days off. Also, time off the bike makes you hungry to do more.

Another option is cross training. Try running or swimming. Mix it up a bit.
Old 10-30-13, 08:30 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
1800calories is probably not enough. the nutrition person will probably tell you that even with trying to lose weight. since 2000cal is the baseline for just normal life, adding hard riding on top is giving you a pretty big debt.

take a week off.. then see how it feels after. even the pro guys take chunks off to just chill out and let their body recover. you can't be on 100% all of the time.
Old 10-30-13, 08:36 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Is it possible to ride to work? This will save you time since you're commuting
and training at the same time. Giving you more time to sleep and recover. Also,
losing weight and training hard at the same time is stressful on the body. Try
adjusting your calorie intake and training intensity to see if you feel any better.
Old 10-30-13, 08:41 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclelogikal
You have a annual physical and get a blood panel done? If not I would to check all your readings. Just a start to see if it is a serious issue or just something else.
This is something I always say I want to do and always forget to make an appointment. I've been having some wierd issues with my numbing on my limbs and I think I should go get checked. I'd understand if it was really cold and my fingers / toes went numb but not at 75 degrees walking to the office.

Originally Posted by Bikedud
"Should I address my concerns or just HTFU!?"

Do you have a specific goal that you're working towards? If not, you should seriously consider setting one or more. If so, then how are you progressing towards said goal?
What's your age?

Personally, I must have a specific goal and timeline set to put in the kind of dedication and effort that your exhibiting. I can train for Six Gap, cyclocross season, or just to keep up with the fast group on group rides, but I need to have a reason to put in all that work. There also needs to be some benchmark, some way to measure progress towards the end goal.

It sounds like you have made tremendous progress that you can be extremely proud of (50 frigging lbs), but what is it you want? Where do you want to go?
My goal right now is to drop an addtional 7 pounds down to 165 for December 31st. Be ready and in shape to do a 375 mile 3 day tour on January 23rd in Puerto Rico on the "B" group.

Further down. Get into racing and have a solid season hopefully having enough races under my belt to upgrade to cat 4 in points or cat 3 if I dream big. 6 Gap in a good amount of time, probably around 6.5 hrs total time. Keep the 165 or maybe lower down to 155 if ideal and healthy. I am 5'11" and started at 219#s on July 23rd, 2012.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
You need time off the bike for your body to recover and rebuild. Constantly pushing it, breaking yourself down and never recovering is counter-productive. You'll be faster and in better shape if you take a couple of days off. Also, time off the bike makes you hungry to do more.

Another option is cross training. Try running or swimming. Mix it up a bit.
I'll see if I can plug in some cross training. Wanted to start running but training for a specific event in January makes me a little worried that it might detract from my cycling. Funny thing is I have a century this saturday I am however not really timing myself in this one. Just going to enjoy the ride, it is supposed to be gorgeous weather and beatiful country roads!

Originally Posted by Jakedatc
1800calories is probably not enough. the nutrition person will probably tell you that even with trying to lose weight. since 2000cal is the baseline for just normal life, adding hard riding on top is giving you a pretty big debt.

take a week off.. then see how it feels after. even the pro guys take chunks off to just chill out and let their body recover. you can't be on 100% all of the time.

I am sure the nutritionist will mop the floor with me once I tell her what I've been doing for a diet. I find myself eating junk out of extreme cravings and hunger.

Thanks all for your advice
Old 10-30-13, 08:46 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Is it possible to ride to work? .
This has been in my head for a while. There are a few problems though. One of them being that commuting to work can be extremely stressful due to horrific traffic in Atlanta + being unable to have a structured ride. I know this sounds like bogus but interval training is a big part of my riding and somehow I think that riding with a backpack on 7:30am traffic could be tedious and hard to enjoy. Also not having accesible showers at the building when I get there (need to pay $100 a month for gym membership) means I can't. Plus I wouln't leave my beautiful steed in the parking garage, so I'd need to get a beater.
Old 10-30-13, 08:52 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Luis I believe you have a coach (not sure who, you can PM me) BUT one of the functions of a truly good coach is not only to write you a good training plan but also to manage some of the issues you have outlined. As my guys will attest to I manage a good part of their lives
Coaching/training is not just about writing a training plan.
As I have said many times you can get fast or get lean, can't do both at the same time
Old 10-30-13, 08:55 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Not getting enough calories and sleep is a bad combination. I can see wanting to lose weight; however, being sleep deprived isn't the answer to anything. Sounds to me that you'd be better off with a half hour more sleep and a half hour less riding.

Take a day or two off and get some sleep. See if you feel better.

I use to commute 2 hours a day and it was cutting into my riding. I took a lower paying job with only 40 minutes of commuting on a bad day. Never regretted it.
Old 10-30-13, 08:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
recognition is the 1st step to recovery. good luck
Old 10-30-13, 08:58 AM
DaveWC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
I am sure the nutritionist will mop the floor with me once I tell her what I've been doing for a diet. I find myself eating junk out of extreme cravings and hunger.
It's a really bad combination to A) limit your calories and B) eat crap food in lieu of healthy foods for whatever reason. What you're doing is similar to the Twinkie diet. And I'm not assuming you're actually only eating garbage, but I've seen my teenaged son do this. He doesn't want to put on weight so he eats small meals but then he's hungry later on so he eats garbage food. Better to satisfy your hunger with healthy food and eat small treats for your emotional needs.
Old 10-30-13, 09:06 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
Luis I believe you have a coach (not sure who, you can PM me) BUT one of the functions of a truly good coach is not only to write you a good training plan but also to manage some of the issues you have outlined. As my guys will attest to I manage a good part of their lives
Coaching/training is not just about writing a training plan.
As I have said many times you can get fast or get lean, can't do both at the same time
^I did not know that, seems like an important point.

Yes I am getting extremely good help. I have improved what I feel is 1000%. I just havent been able to really say anything because I am afraid I might show lack of commitment. I am pushing myself VERY hard. I also feel like taking time off would be a step backwards. Yesteday did 5x10 minute threshold intervals in the trainer... that was absolutely brutal. Spent about 5 minutes gasping on the floor afterwards and took a lot just to get back up. I ran short on the last interval and I felt disappointed, it is much harder to keep threshold power for that amount of time on the trainer. Considering I started feeling not so well I can't say I am too sad about it. I actually pulled through and did the intervals and suffered for real. I think the biggest thing I learn from all this is the HUGE amount of punishment I can take.

So taken it is that I am afraid to say anything about dialing back since I might just show that I am not willing to take a beating. At the same time I am not sure if it is normal or not to be this beaten since I have not trained for anything before in my life.
Old 10-30-13, 09:09 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say... caffeine. I always feel like riding after a redbull. Seriously though, when I feel tired and don't want to ride, I don't. Cycling is supposed to make you happy, not feel guilty and crappy.
Old 10-30-13, 09:10 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
Not getting enough calories and sleep is a bad combination. I can see wanting to lose weight; however, being sleep deprived isn't the answer to anything. Sounds to me that you'd be better off with a half hour more sleep and a half hour less riding.

Take a day or two off and get some sleep. See if you feel better.

I use to commute 2 hours a day and it was cutting into my riding. I took a lower paying job with only 40 minutes of commuting on a bad day. Never regretted it.
Kudos to you on doing that change. My commute is a fun 45 minutes each way but that is the Atlanta way. It'd be hard to find a similar job near where I live. Next week is recovery week so I may be able to push through.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
recognition is the 1st step to recovery. good luck
Thanks, I am however not sure if I am recognizing it or looking for an excuse to keep doing more.

Originally Posted by DaveWC
It's a really bad combination to A) limit your calories and B) eat crap food in lieu of healthy foods for whatever reason. What you're doing is similar to the Twinkie diet. And I'm not assuming you're actually only eating garbage, but I've seen my teenaged son do this. He doesn't want to put on weight so he eats small meals but then he's hungry later on so he eats garbage food. Better to satisfy your hunger with healthy food and eat small treats for your emotional needs.
Not exactly the twinkie diet but I do snack on chocolate a lot. Specially since the office is full of candy bowls (which should be illegal!). then I've wasted my intake on bad food, when it's time for a meal I have to limit myself greatly on the good stuff. Also, when you are time crunched it is much easier to opt for the always available unhealthy options
Old 10-30-13, 09:11 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^I did not know that, seems like an important point.

Yes I am getting extremely good help. I have improved what I feel is 1000%. I just havent been able to really say anything because I am afraid I might show lack of commitment. I am pushing myself VERY hard. I also feel like taking time off would be a step backwards. Yesteday did 5x10 minute threshold intervals in the trainer... that was absolutely brutal. Spent about 5 minutes gasping on the floor afterwards and took a lot just to get back up. I ran short on the last interval and I felt disappointed, it is much harder to keep threshold power for that amount of time on the trainer. Considering I started feeling not so well I can't say I am too sad about it. I actually pulled through and did the intervals and suffered for real. I think the biggest thing I learn from all this is the HUGE amount of punishment I can take.

So taken it is that I am afraid to say anything about dialing back since I might just show that I am not willing to take a beating. At the same time I am not sure if it is normal or not to be this beaten since I have not trained for anything before in my life.
Welcome to cycling...
It doesn't show a lack of commitment rather shows that you are in tune with what is going on. Looking on a very simple level I would say your calories are low given the effort you are putting out. Not having seen your training plan I would just be careful that 5x10 at this time of year may be overkill but I am not your coach
There is nothing wrong with bringing concerns to the attention of your coach, my guys email me a lot
Old 10-30-13, 09:12 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
I say... caffeine. I always feel like riding after a redbull. Seriously though, when I feel tired and don't want to ride, I don't. Cycling is supposed to make you happy, not feel guilty and crappy.
Yesteday I stopped at the gas station on my way home, picked up a 20oz can of monster energy drink and got on that trainer as soon as I got home. Not the healthiest of feelings but it pushed me through.
Old 10-30-13, 09:19 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
You are in a hole, stop digging. Recovery is what makes you stronger and faster not more intervals. Without proper rest you can't really push hard enough for further gains and illness and injury will further limit your training.
Old 10-30-13, 09:20 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
Welcome to cycling...
It doesn't show a lack of commitment rather shows that you are in tune with what is going on. Looking on a very simple level I would say your calories are low given the effort you are putting out. Not having seen your training plan I would just be careful that 5x10 at this time of year may be overkill but I am not your coach
There is nothing wrong with bringing concerns to the attention of your coach, my guys email me a lot
God! Never thought it'd be this painful when I was riding around my neighborhood as a kid on my fixie. I wish I could show you the analysis of the ride yesterday, the first 4 were great, the 5th looked like that thing geologists use to measure earthquake intensity. I got kinda pissed and at minute 6 (I think) of the last one I just cranked it up to z6 for about one minute. That was the end of the day for me haha

I think I bother him too much! He's been great have to give him Kudos for being so patient with me.
Old 10-30-13, 09:29 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
1800 calories holy **** that's insane! I try to eat 3000+ calories. Imo, what you eat is more important than how much. I'm not a nutritionist or trainer or anything, but my hypothesis is that eating less food (especially junk food) kinda tells your body to slow the heck down and conserve what little nutrition it is getting.

Good news is you are almost at your goal weight and don't have to feel guilty eating a more sane amount of food!
Old 10-30-13, 09:32 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
1800 calories holy **** that's insane! I try to eat 3000+ calories. Imo, what you eat is more important than how much. I'm not a nutritionist or trainer or anything, but my hypothesis is that eating less food (especially junk food) kinda tells your body to slow the heck down and conserve what little nutrition it is getting.

Good news is you are almost at your goal weight and don't have to feel guilty eating a more sane amount of food!
Bad news, my goal weight seems to keep dropping.. . It's like chasing the majic dragon... you just never seem to catch it.
Old 10-30-13, 09:47 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello! Do you guys ever feel extremely tired? Do you ever feel like you are startving, the skin in your face is pulling your eyes down and even standing up straight hurts?
I've been having some wierd issues with my numbing on my limbs and I think I should go get checked. I'd understand if it was really cold and my fingers / toes went numb but not at 75 degrees walking to the office.
Your profile says you live in Atlanta. Isn't that where The Walking Dead takes place?

You might be zombifying.
Old 10-30-13, 09:49 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Why pursue pointless goals? Riding to be healthy and having fun with friends/family is more than good enough.
Old 10-30-13, 09:50 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Wait, back in late August you were superhuman...

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...n-!?highlight=

Now, two months later, you have burned out? It took Batman like 30 years to get all dark and jaded. Superman is still going strong. I'm not going to mention those Marvel guys, because Spiderman can't get past his stinking origin story on the big screen.

Wasn't it like two weeks ago you had the "I am staying in bed with cereal" thread?

Here is a solution: if you don't feel like riding, don't ride. Also realize that the world didn't end, you have not abandoned your goals, you are not on the slippery slope to doom, and you don't need to start a thread about another non-apocolyptic event.

If you see a meteor coming at you, while riding, please let us know.
Old 10-30-13, 09:53 AM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
Wait, back in late August you were superhuman...

If you see a meteor coming at you, while riding, please let us know.
I was, I guess it caught up!

I'll let you know. Hopefully by then I'll be able to outrun the meteor on my bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.