Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Research Dynamics RD

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Research Dynamics RD

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 03:01 PM
concordino

Bikes: Miyata, Koga Miyata, Giant Cadex, GT, Trek, Bianchi, Legnano, Alpinestars, Cannondale, Kastle, Schwinn Paramount, Sakae, Marin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Research Dynamics RD

I recently bought a Research Dynamics Coyote vintage mountain bike on eBay. Am still to see the bike live as it is in storage at the moment but wanted to gather information on the brand.

A web search on RD returned that it was a ski brand based in the Rockies selling bikes in the 80s and 90s. Their bikes being good value for the dollar at the time. The Coyote might have been the name of their MTB line with different annotations to each model in the line.

the bike I got is in charcoal matt finish. Thinking initially of steel, the seller later stated “Rolled fiber tubes into steel Lugs and butting masterfully tig welded”. It is Deore DX equipped with Araya RM17 wheels and Pedersen cantilever brakes. The other thing to be confirmed based my research Is the 1 1/4 oversized headtube.

Would appreciate more info on the brand, its history, the model lineup. Catalog scans or pictures of members’ bikes would also be great.
Old 02-03-20, 03:10 PM
concordino

Bikes: Miyata, Koga Miyata, Giant Cadex, GT, Trek, Bianchi, Legnano, Alpinestars, Cannondale, Kastle, Schwinn Paramount, Sakae, Marin

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Coyote
Old 02-03-20, 05:28 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Shimano Deore DX would place it 1990-1993. As you've noted all the models were Coyote variants. The model with Deore DX was the Coyote Pro-4. I have price lists for 1991-1993, showing it being TIG welded Tange MTB. Prices vary from $650 -$850. Position in the line-up varied.,depending on the year. There was a full line from hi-tensile models up to Tange Prestige models with XTR in 1993. There was even an aluminum framed model but no carbon models until 1994, when they also introduced a titanium model. In 1994 the Pro-4 went to Deore LX but got a suspension fork while the carbon-fibre framed model, the Carbon 5, was Deore XT. That certainly looks like steel to me based on the fitting attachments. Price lists show the company being from Ketchum, Idaho.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 02-03-20, 05:40 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 192 Posts
I can tell you they were sold at large sporting goods stores in the 90's. I can't remember the company though, it wasn't Galynn's or MC Sports but it was something like that before Dicks was across the country, 90's bikes. It was a mid level bike brand. I think all MTB.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 02-03-20, 05:48 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
The 1 1/4" headset can be hard to find at a good price. If you like the bike, set up some online searches.
Likes For clubman:
Old 02-03-20, 05:49 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I can tell you they were sold at large sporting goods stores in the 90's. I can't remember the company though, it wasn't Galynn's or MC Sports but it was something like that before Dicks was across the country, 90's bikes. It was a mid level bike brand. I think all MTB.
They appear to have gone fully ATB for 1991 but the 1990 price list shows one road model and one hybrid model. I don't believe that I have anything prior to that.
Old 02-03-20, 06:23 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I have that exact stem on my 1992 StumpJumper FS. All of the design cues on that bike bring back good memories. Needs a bit more purple, however.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 02-03-20, 06:28 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
I had RD Coyote ski's..... but I am sure that is no help at all

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-04-20, 12:04 AM
concordino

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Shimano Deore DX would place it 1990-1993. As you've noted all the models were Coyote variants. The model with Deore DX was the Coyote Pro-4. I have price lists for 1991-1993, showing it being TIG welded Tange MTB. Prices vary from $650 -$850. Position in the line-up varied.,depending on the year. There was a full line from hi-tensile models up to Tange Prestige models with XTR in 1993. There was even an aluminum framed model but no carbon models until 1994, when they also introduced a titanium model. In 1994 the Pro-4 went to Deore LX but got a suspension fork while the carbon-fibre framed model, the Carbon 5, was Deore XT. That certainly looks like steel to me based on the fitting attachments. Price lists show the company being from Ketchum, Idaho.
Thank you for your info. I was hoping you would respond since you have references on lots of bike brands.

I also share your opinion on the frame being chromoly, at least that was my expectation when I bought it.

Would providing the serial number help to more accurately date the year ? I am thinking 91-92 based on the components.
Old 02-04-20, 12:07 AM
concordino

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
The 1 1/4" headset can be hard to find at a good price. If you like the bike, set up some online searches.
You are right about that. I have an ongoing Alpinestars Al-Mega XT build in 1 1/4 that’s been dragging because of that. Off the top of my head, Haro and Gary Fisher also used that size.

Last edited by concordino; 02-04-20 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-04-20, 12:09 AM
concordino

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Thank you for expanding... the amount of knowledge on here is simply great.
Old 02-04-20, 07:49 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by concordino
Thank you for your info. I was hoping you would respond since you have references on lots of bike brands.

I also share your opinion on the frame being chromoly, at least that was my expectation when I bought it.

Would providing the serial number help to more accurately date the year ? I am thinking 91-92 based on the components.
The serial number may allow us to determine the exact manufacturing date but I have yet to see any from Research Dynamics, so I can't say for sure. However, we can safely eliminate 1991 from the mix, based on the front derailleur which is the top pull FD-M651 that first appears in the 1992 Shimano catalogue. Furthermore, the shift levers appear to be Rapidife, as opposed to Rapidfire Plus. The latter, were introduced for the 1993 model year but Rapidfire was still catalogued. Still, I'd think there's a higher probability of them going with the new Rapidfire Plus for 1993, so I'm leaning towards it being a 1992, though I wouldn't rule out 1993.

Edit: I just went back to double check the 1993 price list and all the models except the Coyote Pro-4 say RP (Rapidfire Plus). Given that it's an upper mid-range model, this seems strange and I suspect it's a typographical error. This has me leaning even more towards a 1992 model.

Last edited by T-Mar; 02-04-20 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-04-20, 07:59 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
(Totally cool vintage MTB!!)