Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tuning NuVinci N380 gears - tight top end

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-27-20, 02:01 PM
Fandomii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi everyone. I'm trying to tune a NuVinci N380 which gets tighter at the top end of the gears and needs extra force to turn and shift.

I played with the barrel adjusters but they seem to behave quite erratically. From online material about the N360 I understand that one of the two cable adjusters is tight when at one end of the gear range (overdrive) and the other is tight at the other end of the range (underdrive). However mine seem to be both tight and loose at the same points. Is the N360 different to the N380 in this regard, and the cables are tight and loose at the same range?

Also, one of the cables is really loose (3mm or so) when on one end of the gear range, but rock solid tight at the other end of the gear range. I'm afraid of tightening it more due to that extra tightness on one end. What do you recommend?
Old 03-06-20, 10:01 AM
Fandomii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey guys, no one around with some NuVinci experience? I could use some light

​​​​One guide says that the cable slack should be 0.5mm or less. However the cable slack changes between shifting from the low to the top end. So I am not sure at what point that 0.5mm slack should be.

The park tool guide for the N360 that can be seen on the image below (note, not the N380, not sure they are different in this regard) is talking about 1-2mm slack on either end,depending on whether we are at low or high gear (underdrive and overdrive). Should I be following this guide for the N380?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-20, 04:48 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
At its loosest position. If your shifter is pulling tension on the cable, then there is no slack.