Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Problem with braze-on front mech. Frame faulty?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 12:46 PM
touring_bmore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

SOLVED: I was missing the curved radius washer that goes between the bolt and the derailleur mount on the frame. Thank you for the help!

Hey everyone,

I just finished building up a Bowman Palace:R frameset with a new Ultegra R8000 Di2 groupset. But when I install the front mech, the lower end of the cage seems to be angled outwards and the upper end inwards. It's so bad that the chain rubs both at the top and the bottom. Even the teeth of the chainring touch the cage and catch it no matter how high I move it.

I can just not get the cage parallel to the chain. And the way I understand the manual, with the support bolt, I can angle the cage further outwards but not inwards. This is not the first time I am building up a bike, but the first time with Di2, so I carefully followed all the steps from the Shimano manual. Right now, the support bolt is not touching the frame so it's not responsible for it. I am also pretty certain that the cage of my brand new derailleur is not bent out of shape:

Normally, I would just rotate the derailleur clamp to align the cage but the Bowman Palace:R is only compatible with braze-on derailleurs. The only explanation I can come up with is that the braze-on bracket on the frame is mis-aligned.

Am I making a mistake or is there anything else I can try? Or do I have to send the frame back to Bowman Cycles and ask for a refund?

Thank you for your help!

front mech cage angled outwards

big chainring touches front mech cage

Last edited by touring_bmore; 04-03-20 at 11:18 PM. Reason: problem is solved
Old 04-02-20, 12:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Have you tried loosening the bolt and rotating the derailleur? You may have to get it fairly loose, and make sure the bolt actually shifts as you twist. Most derailleur braze-ons have a fair amount of up down, and twisting adjustment, although I've seen some OEM setups that are designed for a single derailleur with less adjustability.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 04-02-20, 01:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I think there is an adjustment bolt on on the portion you clamp to the braze on that controls that angle. Don't know if it's a give and take between two screws, or just one screw does it all. I've not taken them off or put them on myself. But I have one and it looks like kinda, sorta, maybe that it what I'm seeing.

Have you read the DM on Shimano's tech doc site?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-02-20, 01:24 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
So it looks like the derailleur cage is tailed out, and you can't align the outer plate parallel with the chainrings. Is that correct? Just trying to get a handle on this.

Never mind, I read more closely and I get it. It sounds like the mounting tab has a twist to it that's causing the cage to tail out when it's at the correct height. This is a defect. There are two ways you can deal with it. One, contact the warranty department for instructions on getting a replacement frame. Two, if the this is an alloy frame remove the derailleur and try to straighten it with an adjustable crescent wrench. I'd try one first. The tab is supposed align 90 degrees from the frame centerline, be more or less parallel with the seat tube, and have a slight curve that is uniformly straight top to bottom.

We had a similar problem wit a customer's Project 1 Madone a few years back. The tab was angled forward so we could not align the cage parallel to the chainrings. It angled out a little, despite our best efforts. It was carbon fiber and was not going to be bent. We should have warrantied the frame, but due to other screw ups management made an executive decision and it still shifted as well as any of his buddies' bikes. But I was relieved when he crashed it and we got him on a crash replacement, a race stock Domane.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 04-02-20 at 01:48 PM.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-02-20, 01:48 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
It sounds like you know what you are doing as this is not the first bike that you have built. Your pictures and explanation lead me to agree with you that the braze-on clamp is misaligned. In that case it is a manufacturer defect....and that can happen.
Good luck.
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 04-02-20, 06:18 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
A bit of filing on the braze-on bracket slot or the curved FD washer may get the range that you need.

Look carefully at what is preventing it from rotating enough.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 04-02-20, 08:15 PM
CliffordK

It isn't bumping on something like the wire is it?
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 04-02-20, 08:18 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
This may help.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 04-02-20 at 08:21 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-02-20, 08:25 PM
touring_bmore

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Have you tried loosening the bolt and rotating the derailleur? You may have to get it fairly loose, and make sure the bolt actually shifts as you twist. Most derailleur braze-ons have a fair amount of up down, and twisting adjustment, although I've seen some OEM setups that are designed for a single derailleur with less adjustability.
Thank you, yes I have tried that. I can move the derailleur up and down no problem. But there is no way to twist it. The mount fits the curvature of the front mech like a glove and when I tighten it just enough to secure it, it gets forced into this outward angle.

Originally Posted by Iride01
I think there is an adjustment bolt on on the portion you clamp to the braze on that controls that angle. Don't know if it's a give and take between two screws, or just one screw does it all. I've not taken them off or put them on myself. But I have one and it looks like kinda, sorta, maybe that it what I'm seeing.

Have you read the DM on Shimano's tech doc site?
Thank you, I have read the DM by Shimano. There is only 2 adjustment screws. The top adjustment bolt moves the cage parralel inwards or outwards but does not change the angle. And the support bolt can push against the seat-tube and angle the cage further outwards. But it's already too far outwards. So if I screw this bolt further in, I'm only making the problem worse.
Old 04-02-20, 08:36 PM
touring_bmore

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by woodcraft
A bit of filing on the braze-on bracket slot or the curved FD washer may get the range that you need.
Look carefully at what is preventing it from rotating enough.
Hmm... I don't really want to start filing on the bracket when it turns out to be a warranty case. And when I make the slot in the bracket wider, not only will the front derailleur be less secure in place, by twisting it inside the curvature of the mount, I will also loose this flush fit that it currently has and it will become very fiddly to adjust.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
It isn't bumping on something like the wire is it?
No I wish it was though...

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Thank you, great video. But doesn't solve my problem. I can only move the cage horizontally or change the angle with the set screw so that it kicks further outwards. But there is no way to adjust the angle to make the end move inwards.
Old 04-02-20, 08:45 PM
touring_bmore

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
So it looks like the derailleur cage is tailed out, and you can't align the outer plate parallel with the chainrings. Is that correct? Just trying to get a handle on this.

Never mind, I read more closely and I get it. It sounds like the mounting tab has a twist to it that's causing the cage to tail out when it's at the correct height. This is a defect. There are two ways you can deal with it. One, contact the warranty department for instructions on getting a replacement frame. Two, if the this is an alloy frame remove the derailleur and try to straighten it with an adjustable crescent wrench. I'd try one first. The tab is supposed align 90 degrees from the frame centerline, be more or less parallel with the seat tube, and have a slight curve that is uniformly straight top to bottom.
Thank you, this is exactly what I think. It just makes my heart bleed a little to take everything apart again and send the frame to UK for a replacement
I'm thinking of sourcing another braze-on front mech and try to fit it. Just to make sure, the new Di2 derailleur is not out of alignment for some weird reason. Then I'll probably have to contact the manufacturer about sending it in to replace it.
Old 04-02-20, 10:06 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
You do realize that the curved braze-on, curved surface of the FD the mates with it, and the wider-than-the-bolt slot

are designed to allow the FD to rotate for adjustment? Most do not have that little adjusting screw.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 04-02-20, 11:15 PM
CliffordK

You might try a shim. Perhaps try cutting a piece of soda/beer can and slip it between the bracket and the derailleur, just filling the outside half of the bracket, and nothing on the inside half. A bit crude, but if it works, you could epoxy it into place.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 04-03-20, 01:26 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Do you have another FD to try? Without pics of the braze on tab it's hard to pinpoint the issue. Is the braze on tab bendable?
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 04-03-20, 07:26 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Have the frame maker do it correctly. Mis-aligned front derailleur braze-on tabs are not unprecedented.

In the late '90's I ordered a Co-Motion S&S coupled single bike frame and specified NO fd braze-on tab as I had a braze-on fd but intended to use it with an adapter clamp. Not only did Co-Motion braze on the tab but misaligned it so I couldn't even fit the fd I had. At least they paid shipping both ways to solve the problem.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 04-03-20, 10:41 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
It's times like this that I use an open end adjustable wrench (Cresent wrench) and a pair of pliers to do the final adjustment (Bend the cage).
I actually like the Front DR kicked out just a bit. Tweak where it rubs.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 04-03-20, 12:12 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by touring_bmore
Thank you, yes I have tried that. I can move the derailleur up and down no problem. But there is no way to twist it. The mount fits the curvature of the front mech like a glove and when I tighten it just enough to secure it, it gets forced into this outward angle.

I had similar but not as bad problem.....I had to get help to hold the position when tightening........

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-03-20, 02:13 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by touring_bmore
Thank you, this is exactly what I think. It just makes my heart bleed a little to take everything apart again and send the frame to UK for a replacement
I'm thinking of sourcing another braze-on front mech and try to fit it. Just to make sure, the new Di2 derailleur is not out of alignment for some weird reason. Then I'll probably have to contact the manufacturer about sending it in to replace it.
I've never seen a Di2 front derailleur that hasn't been in a crash tweaked like that. Since the bike is alloy and the tab is thin and the misalignment is small in the overall scale of things, you might be able to bend it with an appropriately sized adjustable wrench. A disk brake rotor straightener might work, too. Just remember if you have to use a cheater bar or something stiffer than a workstand to hold the bike, or if your efforts look like they're putting stress on the seat tube itself, you might break something. If you think what you're doing might break it, do something else.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-03-20, 03:30 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Be aware that this video is over 7 years old and shows adjustment for the 2 generations old FD-6770. While some of it is still applicable, the adjustment steps referenced are not correct for the current gen. FD-8050. Once the cage is aligned (problem OP is having), the large ring adjustment (mechanical screw) is made, then the small ring adjustment (electrical using shift levers while in adj. mode) and finally the large ring adjustment (electrical using shift lever while in adj. mode). There is no small ring mechanical adjustment (limit) screw on the FD-8050. Probably better just to use the Shimano instructions which are laid out step by step and pretty easy to follow IMHO.

Shimano Di2 Dealer Manual

Shimano Manuals & Technical Documents
Likes For August West:
Old 04-03-20, 11:17 PM
touring_bmore

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all for the suggestions!!
My mistake was not using the curved washer between the mounting bolt and the derailleur mount.
It wasn't included with my derailleur and in the Dealer manual it looks like a normal flat washer. I picked up a curved washer from my bike shop and then could adjust the angle to make it work. It's still not absolutely perfect but close and shifting now works great.
Likes For touring_bmore:
Old 06-10-23, 10:11 PM
mitch.peters101

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reviving an old thread - I have the same problem like you with the derailleur cage sticking out. Can you explain how using the curved washer allows aligning the cage with the chainring plane? I'm using a curved washer, but, like you in the original post, when I tighten the screw it slides and locks into the position dictated by the brazeon tab. There's no twisting the DI2 body to make the cage align.
Old 06-11-23, 09:48 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
mitch.peters101 the curved washer goes under the bolt head.

if that's still a problem you can experiment with shims or bending the tab.

/markp