Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to mount SPD-Road to Speedplay shoe?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How to mount SPD-Road to Speedplay shoe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-20, 09:32 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mount SPD-Road cleat to Speedplay shoe?

I have a shoe drilled for 4-hole Speedplay cleats. But I have Shimano Road pedals. Is there an adapter?

I've seen a couple Chinese adapters out there with both 3-hole and 4-hole set-ups -- but I'm not sure which way they're designed to adapt. Hopefully both ways!

Any other trick or method out there? Link? All Chinese mail orders are of course a month wait. Anyone have a US online shop link to something that would work?

THANKS!
Old 04-05-20, 09:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,852 Times in 2,302 Posts
I hadn't known that Speedplay was in the shoe business

Some shoes were specifically designed for only Speedplay or Time cleats. At least one of these shoe companies did make an adaptor. The last one I had my hands on was about 25 years ago. If you do find an adaptor that works expect the need to raise your seat a tad as the adaptor will add thickness top the shoe/pedal height. Also revisit the adaptor and cleat mounting bolts after a few rides to insure they are all still tight. I always lube the cleat bolts (just mounted new X2 cleats to new Shimano shoes last night and used Chain L oil as the lube). Andy
Old 04-05-20, 10:25 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
You could just use the standard base plate that comes with the Speedplay cleats and run a T-nut in the 3 hole slots from the sole side to screw the Look Cleats into. Example of base plate and some used plates are on Ebay from US sellers. https://www.ebay.com/itm/301797295065 Some drilling to enlarge the 3 slots would be needed to fit the T-nuts and making adjustments would be a PITA due to having to remove the 4 plate mounting screws and holding the T-nuts as I think the T-nuts will just spin if trying to screw/unscrew them. Could end up being a bit of a challenge to make it work but I'm not aware of any other ready-fit options.
Old 04-05-20, 01:16 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
You could just use the standard base plate that comes with the Speedplay cleats and run a T-nut in the 3 hole slots from the sole side to screw the Look Cleats into. Example of base plate and some used plates are on Ebay from US sellers. https://www.ebay.com/itm/301797295065 Some drilling to enlarge the 3 slots would be needed to fit the T-nuts and making adjustments would be a PITA due to having to remove the 4 plate mounting screws and holding the T-nuts as I think the T-nuts will just spin if trying to screw/unscrew them. Could end up being a bit of a challenge to make it work but I'm not aware of any other ready-fit options.
Are you saying that all Speedplay cleats come with plates that have 3 slots in them? That wd be great!

OK, it looks like Speedplay Zero cleats come with, or can be bought with, plates to attach to 3-hole shoes. I'm going the other direction. Seems like it might be possible to flip em over... ?? Unless the threads won't work turned upside down?

SPEEDPLAY : HIGH PERFORMANCE PEDALS

Wait... cleats are $55? the "under" base plates alone are $36! Yow! ...Maybe I can just, um, drill my carbon sole. Make holes based on cleat location on my old shoes... Yikes, risky... That's how much I paid for my shoes! I'm not a $roadie.

I do see a used grab-bag set of parts. THINK FLIPPING OVER A BASE PLATE WILL WORK?

Last edited by JeffOYB; 04-05-20 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-05-20, 02:22 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Forgot to mention that you would need to remove the 4 threaded nuts on the sole side of the baseplate, they just push out with a finger....easy. Every set of SP cleats I've purchased comes with the baseplates identical to the photo. You could flip them over to mount and would have a groove already to fit the 3, T-nut heads into. Like I said scour Ebay and the internet for anyone selling used or unused base plates for cheap. Plenty of people in the US probably have them lying around. NOTE: I've never tried to do this but if you can find the plates for cheap it might be worth a try otherwise you may be looking at buying some new 3 hole shoes.
Old 04-05-20, 03:19 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I think the adapters could be flipped and t-nuts epoxied in place.

So did you find what appeared to be a screaming good deal on shoes, only to later find out that they were designed for speedplay? I've done that and have a bag of parts that knows my shame. Shoes, speedplay pedals, new Ti axles, and I didn't like any of it.
Old 04-05-20, 04:32 PM
JeffOYB

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I think the adapters could be flipped and t-nuts epoxied in place.

So did you find what appeared to be a screaming good deal on shoes, only to later find out that they were designed for speedplay? I've done that and have a bag of parts that knows my shame. Shoes, speedplay pedals, new Ti axles, and I didn't like any of it.
Oh yes. I wanted to try carbon shoes and found a good deal. I dont even know if they mentioned the bolts. I had no idea there was a potential dead-end that way.
Old 04-05-20, 08:48 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
[QUOTE=JeffOYB;21402068]Are you saying that all Speedplay cleats come with plates that have 3 slots in them? That wd be great!

OK, it looks like Speedplay Zero cleats come with, or can be bought with, plates to attach to 3-hole shoes. I'm going the other direction. Seems like it might be possible to flip em over... ?? Unless the threads won't work turned upside down?

Wait... cleats are $55? the "under" base plates alone are $36! Yow! ...Maybe I can just, um, drill my carbon sole. Make holes based on cleat location on my old shoes... Yikes, risky... That's how much I paid for my shoes! I'm not a $roadie.

I do see a used grab-bag set of parts. THINK FLIPPING OVER A BASE PLATE WILL WORK?

[

You'd have to remove the four-hole nuts, fit washers and nuts in the slots currently occupied by the cleat bolts that were thin enough to fit flush, bolt the adapters to the shoes upside-down, thread the Shimano cleat bolts into the hidden nuts, and hope the nuts don't turn as you tighten the cleat bolts. Maybe if you welded the nuts to oval-shaped washers first. You might also need washers to fasten the adapters to the shoes.
Old 04-05-20, 08:52 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
[QUOTE=JeffOYB;21402068]Are you saying that all Speedplay cleats come with plates that have 3 slots in them? That wd be great!

[

You'd have to remove the four-hole nuts, fit washers and nuts in the slots currently occupied by the cleat bolts that were thin enough to fit flush, bolt the adapters to the shoes upside-down, thread the Shimano cleat bolts into the hidden nuts, and hope the nuts don't turn as you tighten the cleat bolts. Maybe if you welded the nuts to oval-shaped washers first. You might also need washers to fasten the adapters to the shoes.

Might be easier to just drill 3 holes into the shoe after first finding threaded inserts that won't turn when you tighten the bolts an then poke your foot through the insole.