Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adjusting Hubs/Cones without Axle Vise?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-16-20, 07:55 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts

Without an axle vise I always seem to work extra hard to get that "perfect" adjustment since it seems that the opposite side will loosen due to axle rotation while tightening the other side. I always seem to have to initially set the cones a little tight, and then when I do the final 1/16th of a turn to tighten the cones it sets them where they should be. I always keep thinking there's got to be a better way when not having access to an axle vise.
Old 05-16-20, 08:28 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 45 Posts
I only use a axle vice for taking a hub apart that I don't want to lose any bearings on, I reassemble them and adjust them by feel, using a axle vice to adjust the hub would be way to hard.

Glenn
Old 05-16-20, 08:33 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Without an axle vise I always seem to work extra hard to get that "perfect" adjustment since it seems that the opposite side will loosen due to axle rotation while tightening the other side. I always seem to have to initially set the cones a little tight, and then when I do the final 1/16th of a turn to tighten the cones it sets them where they should be. I always keep thinking there's got to be a better way when not having access to an axle vise.
I’ve been adjusting bearings for decades and I don’t even know what an “axle vise” is...
Likes For Litespud:
Old 05-16-20, 08:40 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
I only use a axle vice for taking a hub apart that I don't want to lose any bearings on, I reassemble them and adjust them by feel, using a axle vice to adjust the hub would be way to hard.

Glenn
What is frustrating me and what I can't get around is that the the gaps between cup and cone increase ever so slightly due to the axle rotation while I tighten the opposite side.
Old 05-16-20, 09:35 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Not an expert, but I aim for slightly overtight, and keep trying until it comes out about as good as it's going to get. A bit frustrating, but two or three tries usually does it. Slightly crunchy often loosens up to just right if you have quick release squewers, as they squeeze things a bit.
Old 05-16-20, 09:37 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
I’m pretty picky about adjusting my hubs and spend way too much time trying to get them exactly right. When I have a NDS locknut that doesn’t thread as smoothly, I make the final adjustment with the NDS cone. I hold the DS locknut while I thread the NDS locknut and get things snug. I make the final adjustment backing off the NDS cone, or turning the NDS cone and locknut, or whatever I need to do.

As long as can I remember I’ve adjust hubs sitting down. For me there is just a certain feel or connection, so I just get comfy and work on it. I can’t imagine adjusting hubs standing up with the wheel in a vise.

John
Old 05-16-20, 09:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Not an expert, but I aim for slightly overtight, and keep trying until it comes out about as good as it's going to get. A bit frustrating, but two or three tries usually does it. Slightly crunchy often loosens up to just right if you have quick release squewers, as they squeeze things a bit.
Wrong direction. The quick release does compress the bearings. If they are tight, they get tighter. That’s not the right direction. The bearings should be a little loose so that they tighten just enough when squeezed by the quick release.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-16-20, 09:54 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
I've only done it a couple of times in years (mostly sealed bearings now), but the "too tight" method works fine. Years ago John Barnett (of the Institute in OR, now closed I think) had a method in which the wheel was placed in a truing stand, rotated until the hole for the tube was at 90 degrees and allowed to swing back and forth (which it would do because the hole location was lighter) . When it went the requisite number of swings, it was adjusted correctly. Worked great at the time.
Old 05-16-20, 10:01 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4

Glenn
I use this kind of axle vise, makes adjusting the cones while under QR tension a snap. https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...ub-axle-vises/
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 05-16-20, 10:24 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Way I do it- start with a bit of extra bearing clearance. One side has the cone and the lock nut pair tightened down pretty tight, the other side not quite as tight. To tighten, wrench on each side at the lock nut, turn clockwise a hair at a time. You have to clamp the wheel into the frame to verify the adjustment. To loosen, cone wrenches on each side at the cone, turn ccw a hair. Check clamped in the frame. Repeat until satisfied. You may want to tighten up the "not as tight" cone and lock nut pair.
Old 05-16-20, 11:07 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I use a 3/8" nut to simulate the drop outs on the drive side of the axle. I install the QR and then adjust the bearings with a small amount of preload. When the QR is opened the bearings will have a small amount of play that goes away when the wheel is installed.
Likes For davidad:
Old 05-16-20, 01:34 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I use this kind of axle vise, makes adjusting the cones while under QR tension a snap. https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...ub-axle-vises/
I had made a home-brew similar device, but the Stein tool is much easier to use, and not too expensive. You can also adjust bearings without an axle vise by using the QR skewer to hold the wheel to the *outside* of a frame dropout. Again, the Stein tool is much easier.
Old 05-16-20, 01:36 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Originally Posted by grizzly59
You have to clamp the wheel into the frame to verify the adjustment. To loosen, cone wrenches on each side at the cone, turn ccw a hair. Check clamped in the frame. Repeat until satisfied. You may want to tighten up the "not as tight" cone and lock nut pair.
The axle vise allows this adjustment without taking the wheel in and out of the frame. Easier.
Old 05-16-20, 01:50 PM
sweeks

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I can’t imagine adjusting hubs standing up with the wheel in a vise.
Tech Tip: You can sit while making these adjustments to the hub!
Old 05-16-20, 07:19 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You are using a cone wrench and as locknut wrench or wrench for the locknut at the same time?

Cheers
Old 05-17-20, 08:39 AM
sweeks

Originally Posted by Miele Man
You are using a cone wrench and as locknut wrench or wrench for the locknut at the same time?
Two wrenches required: one for the cone and one for the locknut.
Old 05-17-20, 08:55 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by sweeks
Two wrenches required: one for the cone and one for the locknut.
My post should have read:
"You are using a cone wrench and a locknut wrench or wrench for the locknut at the same time?"
instead of:
"You are using a cone wrench and as locknut wrench or wrench for the locknut at the same time?"

Cheers
Old 05-17-20, 08:56 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I had made a home-brew similar device, but the Stein tool is much easier to use, and not too expensive. You can also adjust bearings without an axle vise by using the QR skewer to hold the wheel to the *outside* of a frame dropout. Again, the Stein tool is much easier.
I'm a fan of Stein tools generally, and I do own a Stein axle vise, but I have found using my Hozan axle vise in the same manner works much better. I can pass the skewer through the vise and the axle and the vise holds the axle securely so play can be detected.
Old 05-17-20, 09:05 AM
sweeks

Originally Posted by Miele Man
My post should have read...
That was for the OP in case there was any confusion. Thanks!
Old 05-17-20, 09:24 AM
sweeks

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
...I do own a Stein axle vise, but I have found using my Hozan axle vise in the same manner works much better. I can pass the skewer through the vise and the axle and the vise holds the axle securely so play can be detected.
Hi, Dan. I meant that the Stein tool works better than my home-made one.
The Hozan tool looks very nice, but seems to be relatively unavailable and costs about twice as much as the Stein tool. At the rate I service hubs (maybe 4 a year), the Stein tool works well enough.
Old 05-17-20, 10:30 AM
TakingMyTime

Thanks for all the tool suggestions and advice. For the record, I've adjusted cup and cones many times. I just kept thinking that there was maybe one "secret" trick that once I learned it I'd be a cone adjusting God. I guess a little frustration comes with the territory. Although I am going to pickup an axle vise and see if that speeds things up.

Thanks,
TMT
Old 05-17-20, 12:05 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Thanks for all the tool suggestions and advice. For the record, I've adjusted cup and cones many times. I just kept thinking that there was maybe one "secret" trick that once I learned it I'd be a cone adjusting God. I guess a little frustration comes with the territory. Although I am going to pickup an axle vise and see if that speeds things up.

Thanks,
TMT
In my honest opinion an axle vice won't really speed things up.

I think that there's a learning curve in adjusting any cup and cone setup and that includes hubs, headsets and bottom brackets. Practice and experience makes it easier each time.

Cheers
Old 05-17-20, 01:26 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I’ve been adjusting bearings for decades and I don’t even know what an “axle vise” is...
I never used one for about 35 years, until I "went pro." They make the job faster and easier, but they're not necessary.
Old 05-17-20, 06:32 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
speed things up???

My favorite method (more so now with the lock down situation) is to add more patience. And a beer. Or 2. But two wrenches and practice are effective.