Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Setting up Center Pull Brakes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-22-20, 11:07 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts

I've been doing a light restore on an old '72 Super Sport with Center Pull brakes. But I've reached a point where I need to seek some advice. I've looked at Schwinn manuals and a hundred photos of similar bikes but I have not been able to determine if anything needs to be fixed or replaced. I believe that I've got assembled it correctly, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for the cable to travel. As it stands, I can apply the brake and still have a little more than 1/4 inch of free travel before the cable would bottom out against the adjuster. I'm afraid this may bottom out and not allow the full force of the lever pull to apply the appropriate braking, and cause a problem for the rider. The pictures show the brakes in a relaxed position with no force applied.

Old 06-22-20, 11:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
a cable housing stop you clamp around the seat post it self, higher up, may be an approach...

a roller and stop can redirect the cable routing for what appears us a step thru small frame..

Old 06-22-20, 11:36 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Wow, that doesn't seem like enough room, although if your brakes are adjusted close to the rim, it may be enough. You could gain a smidgen more by moving the seat post clamp up slightly. You should take a look at seatpost-mounted cable hangers, like the Paul Funky Monkey, which costs more than you probably paid for the bike. There may be some cheaper alternatives.

Old 06-22-20, 11:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Another cheap shop hack option ... drill as small hole for the cable only to pass thru, into the seatpost.

and a bigger one opposite it for the housing to pass thru. the housing stopping against the smaller hole..

seems like the seat post is steel, chrome plated, so those 2 holes wont be an issue...

Or get a side pull brake that has the housing stop on the bottom arm, the cable pulls downward..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-22-20 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-22-20, 11:58 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
TakingMyTime I would change it to a Schwinn Approved side-pull caliper, actually, I would do both front and rear They are readily available on ebay for very little money.
Old 06-22-20, 12:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
I'd try taking the hanger off, disassembling it and reinstalling with the hanger portion aimed up at the seatpost. That will gain you good height (and for free) but the cable and housing alignments may not be good enough. (This only a rear brake, not a front, so considerably lower standards is OK and this is a very visible part of the bike so keepng an eye on the cable for a kink and early wear is easy.)

Ben
Old 06-22-20, 01:14 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by fietsbob
a cable housing stop you clamp around the seat post it self, higher up, may be an approach...
... what appears us a step thru small frame..
It is a small women's frame. After lowering the seat to a height which is comfortable for my wife there really isn't going to be a lot of post showing.

I did loosent the seatpost clamp and raised it about 1/3 of an inch and that seems to have doubled the amount of cable that is exposed and usable. We'll see how that works out.
Old 06-22-20, 01:16 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by branko_76
TakingMyTime I would change it to a Schwinn Approved side-pull caliper, actually, I would do both front and rear They are readily available on ebay for very little money.
I am considering this option. For right now I think by raising the clamp a little bit I have made it usable and safe, although not perfect. I got this bike for free and I'm trying to only invest some elbow grease, but if new brakes are what it's going to take I may have to go that route.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-22-20, 01:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

other hacks are possible but not a shopping cart easy thing..

following a straight line from the brake, the cable can pull thru the seat tube and the seat post..
V noodle on front directing it downward,

Weinmann/DiaCompe, had some brakes made, back then, with housing stop and the clamping bolt interchangeable..
so the top pull type can be made bottom pull..

Ebay or the parts bin in old bike shops..

Old 06-22-20, 04:25 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
It might be possible to put the cable stop on the top tube before the seat tube and route the cable. There are bike that have used brazed cable routings on bikes either on the bottom bracket or seat tube. I have a Trek that has a tube on the side of the seat tube for the bare brake cable to go through.

It could even be housing, or a v-brake noodle, or ??? It just has to be solid and route the cable.

John