Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

randyjawa Dump Finds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

randyjawa Dump Finds...

Old 06-26-20, 04:47 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
This is a fun thread, thanks Randy. Keep it comin.
Old 06-26-20, 05:19 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts
Good thing we don't have anything like that here in So Cal. If we did I'd be in a world of trouble. I'd probably be wearing a tool belt and pulling spares off of just about anything...
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 07-05-20, 01:00 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Wednesday, July 1, 2020 proved to be OK and not OK. Not OK because there was nothing worth noting at the dump. However, I got an old Peugeot just before it went to the dump...

While looking in Kijiji a few days ago, I saw a new posting go up for a Peugeot, a black Peugeot Super Sport according to the picture, and the price was $50.00 CND. I emailed the seller immediately and got an answer back in short order.

The lady I was communicating with (Suzy) was in the middle of moving (happened last Fall with a Pinarello) and was looking for a fast sale. I explained that it was evening and, living out of the city, I offered to come the next morning. She agreed, but...

A few more emails went back and forth until, she finally told me that she would leave the bike on the front porch (see her picture that she sent me) for me to pick up in the morning. I said OK and thanked her...

Then she emailed me back again, worried that someone would steal the bike. Before I could respond, she sent another email, telling me that I could have the bike for free. Great and that opened up an option or two.

I immediately called a friend in the city, who I recently gave a bike to, and asked for him to pick the Peugeot up. He said he would and then he did. I let the lady know that the bike had been picked up and thanked her for her kindness.

So, does this one count as "found at the dump"?

As for the Pinarello, same sort of story. Bike was left on the front porch and I was to put the money in the mail box if I chose to buy the bike. For the incredibly low price, I agreed and first thing next morning (I do not drive at night since hitting the black bear with the car) I drove to the city, dropped a few bucks in the mail box and brought this home (it was not on its way to the dump), just thought to mention it because of the similarities in acquisition...

And this weekend, not much to mention except for today. Arriving at dump number one, these two old road bikes presented themselves. Needless to say, I have little or not interest in such machines but I had to admit that the mixte, at least, was in good shape...

Old 07-05-20, 03:14 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
randyjawa Did you at least get the bell?
Old 07-05-20, 03:21 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

randyjawa Did you at least get the bell?
No, didn't grab anything, but if you want it, I would be happy to snap it up for you. That said...

I really do have to be careful dragging stuff home. I already have two Peugeot frame sets that just might be on their way to the scrap yard. I just have no where to put them and no way to market lower end bikes, due to cost to ship. The wheels, or wheel rims to be more precise, are also piling up. Guess I will give those to the guys at the local bike shop. They help me a lot.
Old 07-05-20, 03:32 PM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by randyjawa
No, didn't grab anything, but if you want it, I would be happy to snap it up for you. That said...

I really do have to be careful dragging stuff home. I already have two Peugeot frame sets that just might be on their way to the scrap yard. I just have no where to put them and no way to market lower end bikes, due to cost to ship. The wheels, or wheel rims to be more precise, are also piling up. Guess I will give those to the guys at the local bike shop. They help me a lot.
If it’s still there, sure. Looks like it will clean up nice. I wonder what the medal in the center has on it.
Old 07-05-20, 03:46 PM
randyjawa 

If it’s still there, sure. Looks like it will clean up nice. I wonder what the medal in the center has on it.
I always keep a small tool box in the car. The dump will be open on Wednesday afternoon. If it is there, when I go, I will grab the bell, unless it looks really bad. There is also one of those alloy racks on the man's bike. I might grab that also even though I will never use it.
Old 07-05-20, 04:52 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked 2,025 Times in 1,243 Posts
Looks like a 3" Lucas or Pacific rim imitation, like a Phoenix. Great chalice bell and good eye.
Old 07-06-20, 03:47 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Some of those bikes you showed recently had nice copper colored bells that I'm sure some of us would be interested in, maybe a few other ancillary parts. However, I don't really know how much you want to be fidgeting around pulling parts off bikes - a lot of time and effort for you to go back after posting pics days before.
Old 07-06-20, 08:18 PM
TheRodeWarrior

Bikes: CCM of all sorts, Kona AfricaBike, Kuwahara Apollo Mount Shasta, Peugeot Hurricane Creek, Barracuda A2B, Raleighs of all sorts mainly 3 speeds, Norco Kokanee. Rocky Mountain. Mongoose Maneuver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you ever get back to the dump with the Hiawatha I'll buy it from you Randy. Curtis
Old 07-07-20, 01:18 AM
randyjawa 

If you ever get back to the dump with the Hiawatha I'll buy it from you Randy. Curtis
Buy? Your money is no good with me my friend. I will go and get it for you when that dump, dump #4 , is open...
Old 07-07-20, 08:57 AM
TheRodeWarrior

Bikes: CCM of all sorts, Kona AfricaBike, Kuwahara Apollo Mount Shasta, Peugeot Hurricane Creek, Barracuda A2B, Raleighs of all sorts mainly 3 speeds, Norco Kokanee. Rocky Mountain. Mongoose Maneuver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you sir, a gentleman and a scholar.
Likes For TheRodeWarrior:
Old 07-08-20, 01:07 PM
randyjawa 

OK guys and gals, it is Saturday, July 8, 2020 and I have achieved two things, one bicycle related one rock related.

Rock related - went to my secret amethyst mine today, to get some semi precious gems for a friend in the USA. Got one piece, a single point of deep purple amethyst and it will soon be headed south in thanks for a simple virtue - his kindness and concern for helping others. Anyway, give me a minute to climb down off of my pulpit (ever wondered why something that is high up is referred to as a pulpit?).

OK, Curtis you are the new owner of an old Hiawatha...

The two Rampars did not fare well since I first saw them three days ago, on Wednesday. The bulldozer made a pass and the two bikes did NOT make it. You can see the dozer tracks in the foreground...

But, at a fellow forum members request, the bell(s) managed a last minute "Hail Mary", thanks to Don Randolfo, my new alias...

And, tomorrow I am off to the city again, to do the Torpado frame, drop off a Hiawatha and check out what looks to be a Campy equipped Bianchi. Oh oh!
Old 07-08-20, 02:57 PM
3speedslow

Wahoo!
Old 07-08-20, 05:19 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Love this thread. "Velomechanical archeology".

Yeah, that's it.
Old 07-08-20, 11:29 PM
TheRodeWarrior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yay, a Hiawatha similar to my first bike. Now I've gotta scrounge through my pile of goodies for a Simplex front derailleur and some Universal brakes for trade material. Thanks Randy.
Old 07-09-20, 01:01 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
OK guys and gals, it is Saturday, July 8, 2020 and I have achieved two things, one bicycle related one rock related.

Rock related - went to my secret amethyst mine today, to get some semi precious gems for a friend in the USA. Got one piece, a single point of deep purple amethyst and it will soon be headed south in thanks for a simple virtue - his kindness and concern for helping others. Anyway, give me a minute to climb down off of my pulpit (ever wondered why something that is high up is referred to as a pulpit?).

OK, Curtis you are the new owner of an old Hiawatha...

The two Rampars did not fare well since I first saw them three days ago, on Wednesday. The bulldozer made a pass and the two bikes did NOT make it. You can see the dozer tracks in the foreground...

But, at a fellow forum members request, the bell(s) managed a last minute "Hail Mary", thanks to Don Randolfo, my new alias...

And, tomorrow I am off to the city again, to do the Torpado frame, drop off a Hiawatha and check out what looks to be a Campy equipped Bianchi. Oh oh!
I wonder if those panniers have internal plastic frames and/or a pocket on the rear of them? If they do, I'd be quite interested in getting them.

Cheers
Old 07-09-20, 04:02 PM
3speedslow

Made my day to receive this from our Thunderbay randyjawa it will hang proud on the fridge until it takes the wheel on my Sekine build!

Old 07-09-20, 05:45 PM
randyjawa 

@3speedslow - you made my day. Thanks for the picture. And, for what it is worth, a Sekine spoke protector adult story...

Years ago, coming to a stop near the curb at a red light, I waited patiently for the light to change. While stopped, a lady walked up to me and boldly asked, "Are you looking for sex ?" I said yes which is true, but not necessarily with just anyone. Anyway, it turned out that she saw the spoke protector, partially covering a letter or two and she though the spoke protector read Seeking Sex. True story.

Then the light changed.
Old 07-09-20, 05:46 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
I'm enjoying this too, and now can we please see a pic of this secret Amethyst mine of yours??... promise I won't tell
I just bought I nice chunk of Amethyst, hopefully it won't be in the mail system for too long.
Old 07-10-20, 04:51 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRodeWarrior
Yay, a Hiawatha similar to my first bike. Now I've gotta scrounge through my pile of goodies for a Simplex front derailleur and some Universal brakes for trade material. Thanks Randy.
If you can't find a front derailleur I have one you can have for postage. It is pristine but missing the proper cinch bolt.
I am in S. Ontario.
Old 07-10-20, 05:50 AM
randyjawa 

I'm enjoying this too, and now can we please see a pic of this secret Amethyst mine of yours??... promise I won't tell
I just bought I nice chunk of Amethyst, hopefully it won't be in the mail system for too long.
These are of my grand kids, some of them, at the secret mine. I take them there every summer when they all come to hang out with Nana and Papa. Anyway, this mine, sort of.

I have to keep at this guy to put his goggles and gloves back on...

The way that his big sister does, Dad, however, is not fond of gloves either, but does wear eye protection...

Rock hunting, in Northwestern Ontario, is great fun for any kid. They bring their treasures home, clean them up and have something cool for "show and tell" when the next school year starts. I kinda like it too, and we never know what will show up when we turn the next rock over, figuratively and literally speaking. This creepy-crawler was about six inches long. We gently put him back...
Old 07-10-20, 12:28 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
These are of my grand kids, some of them, at the secret mine. I take them there every summer when they all come to hang out with Nana and Papa. Anyway, this mine, sort of.

I have to keep at this guy to put his goggles and gloves back on...

The way that his big sister does, Dad, however, is not fond of gloves either, but does wear eye protection...

Rock hunting, in Northwestern Ontario, is great fun for any kid. They bring their treasures home, clean them up and have something cool for "show and tell" when the next school year starts. I kinda like it too, and we never know what will show up when we turn the next rock over, figuratively and literally speaking. This creepy-crawler was about six inches long. We gently put him back...
Many years ago I gave my young nephew a number of small mineral and rock samples that were extras in my collection. I also took him to a store here in town that sold small mineral samples and let him pick out some. Sad t hat the store is long gone. Then I took him to a hardware store and bought him a brick hammer and safety goggles. Later we went to an abandoned limestone quarry in town and close to where I live and got a few samples of freshwater coral. I also gave him some books on geology and mineralogy. the result was that he became a volcanologist.

It's amazing where a youngster's early interest may lead if it's encouraged. You grand children might be future geologists.

Cheers
Old 07-11-20, 09:50 AM
randyjawa 

July 11, 2020 - went to the dump today and also a few days ago, on Wednesday. On that Wednesday, I picked the Hiawatha up for a fellow forum member and upon delivery, it turned into this nice old in need of cleaning Nishiki International. Though I have little interest in the bike itself, the wheel set, 700c Araya in great shape are going into the stash. Anyway, the International...

Today, Saturday, I went to two dumps. Dump number one presented these items.

A couple of old CCM single speed Mixte bicycles...

A not too rough department store Venture mountain bike...

Some odds and ends including those big pedals on an alloy crank set...

And, at the request of another forum member, I went back to the Rampars, at the second dump, to check out something on or in the panniers. What I was looking for was not there, but this Bicycle Tool Set was in one of the panniers. Funny that I missed it the first time...

Last edited by randyjawa; 07-11-20 at 10:09 AM.
Likes For randyjawa:
Old 07-11-20, 10:00 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,174 Posts
@3speedslow - you made my day. Thanks for the picture. And, for what it is worth, a Sekine spoke protector adult story...

Years ago, coming to a stop near the curb at a red light, I waited patiently for the light to change. While stopped, a lady walked up to me and boldly asked, "Are you looking for sex ?" I said yes which is true, but not necessarily with just anyone. Anyway, it turned out that she saw the spoke protector, partially covering a letter or two and she though the spoke protector read Seeking Sex. True story.

Then the light changed.
Stories from the 'red light' district, lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.