Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
??
Speaking of extended public works projects, they've been working on that stretch of Sart foreeeeever.
I always check for cars and move to the left far enough to give the oncoming cyclist room.
I haven't been out to the SART in maybe three years so not sure what to expect when I get back out there... I'm back to riding outdoors...
Old 05-12-20, 08:46 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 960 Posts
FWIW: K-rail at the beach, across the asphalt connector between the SART and Huntington State Beach's bike path, was gone on Saturday morning (May 9), and lots of walkers/joggers/bicycle riders were on the beach path at 6AM. The restrooms just off of the SART were still closed, not sure if those get opened later in the AM.
Old 05-21-20, 10:30 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts
I rode from the Beach up to Taft yesterday. Clear sailing the whole way. Only 3-4 homeless but they weren't the type to be setting up camp. Just ones with nowhere else to go. I think they were under the bridge just for the shade.
Old 05-26-20, 08:53 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Surprisingly quiet yesterday morning (Memorial Day) between 5:30AM-7AM on the southern end (beach to the Stadium area), even fewer folks than you'd see on a weekend morning. Not even one surfer toting his/her board down to the beach (the waves were pretty poor). A few homeless sleeping off to the side of the trail in a few places, but looked like they were just sleeping for the night, not 'setting up housekeeping.' Overall a nice way to start the day.
Old 05-29-20, 09:24 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 66 Posts
Once you get out of the SART at the beach, if you follow the road northbound, take a look at the side of the road. First sign is some trash and as you look near the inlets near the two bridges, you will see even more trash. You almost have to turn your head to the right and look-back and there the evidence grows stronger.
Old 07-05-20, 08:26 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

SART Closure from July 6-12 Costa

The SART will be closed from July 6 - 12 where it goes under the 405 freeway, about 4.5 miles inland from the beach. Can't find anything on the 405 freeway construction website (oc405partners), I just saw the signs this morning while on a ride.

I-405 Improvement Project
Likes For skidder:
Old 07-05-20, 12:16 PM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by skidder
The SART will be closed from July 6 - 12 where it goes under the 405 freeway, about 4.5 miles inland from the beach. Can't find anything on the 405 freeway construction website (oc405partners), I just saw the signs this morning while on a ride.

Very timely info for me. I was going to be riding that section this Tuesday with a couple of Friends. We'll have to plan for the detour.
Old 07-07-20, 03:00 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I rode the Sart (Green River to Beach and Back) for the first time since the homeless issue became a problem a couple of weeks ago. I got a little confused as to where the entrance was, and rode parralel to the trail for a little while but eventually found it. On the way back I realized that the trail starts at the very end of the parking area. We started really early so I was really confused when I got to Katella and didn't see the restrooms. The trail was nice and didn't see any homeless folks. Made it back to the car before it got warm (9AM) and home just in time for breakfast. I'm going back out in two weeks.
Likes For Genaro:
Old 07-08-20, 02:34 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts

I rode it on 7/7 and there's a 4 mile (my guess) DG path you must ride between MacArthur and Adams. It's pretty hard packed but there are some shallow soft spots ready to take out skinny road tires. The steep dips under the crossroads are especially sketchy and loose. I mountain bike when I'm not road biking and it was all nerves on it--I went from 22 mph down to 8-10 mph. If you've got gravel skills and are on fatter gravel or road tires like 32-35s that will help some. I was relieved when it turned to pavement again.
Old 07-08-20, 08:17 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by bikeme
I rode it on 7/7 and there's a 4 mile (my guess) DG path you must ride between MacArthur and Adams. It's pretty hard packed but there are some shallow soft spots ready to take out skinny road tires. The steep dips under the crossroads are especially sketchy and loose. I mountain bike when I'm not road biking and it was all nerves on it--I went from 22 mph down to 8-10 mph. If you've got gravel skills and are on fatter gravel or road tires like 32-35s that will help some. I was relieved when it turned to pavement again.
I'm guessing that's on the opposite side of the river, starting at the concrete plant where Macarthur crosses over the river/down past the sewer plant in Fountain Valley/end at the Adams Ave bridge? That's about 2.5 miles, but it'll seem like more on a skinny-tire road bike due to the packed gravel/sand surface. Usually the gates are closed along there, I'll have to try it sometime this weekend 700 x 35s on my roadie or my street-converted MTB with treaded 26x 1.5s.
Old 07-08-20, 02:10 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I'm guessing that's on the opposite side of the river, starting at the concrete plant where Macarthur crosses over the river/down past the sewer plant in Fountain Valley/end at the Adams Ave bridge? That's about 2.5 miles, but it'll seem like more on a skinny-tire road bike due to the packed gravel/sand surface. Usually the gates are closed along there, I'll have to try it sometime this weekend 700 x 35s on my roadie or my street-converted MTB with treaded 26x 1.5s.
Howdy, yes--probably is shorter. It is on the opposite (West) side of the river. They weren't clear you take it and the posted signs of Do Not Enter (valid any other time) cast further doubt to take it. I just happened to be in a gap of no other cyclists to confirm easily. Further down, I saw many headed to and from PCH. As I was riding my thoughts were, "So this is why there's gravel bikes" LOL.
Old 07-14-20, 11:05 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
We rode it M-Thur and I only went down twice and the old woman once. I don't see how they can finish the 405 crossing without more !@#$ closures.
Old 07-14-20, 12:10 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Earlier this year I would have time to ride it during the week, and they'd occasionally have brief (5-10 minute) closures of the 405 underpass so they could take building materials from the north side boneyard to the south side. An inconvenience, but not a big deal. But yeah, I can see them closing it down in the future for some week-long periods to widen the freeway. Maybe a big concrete pour event, asphalt paving, or other stuff.
Old 07-17-20, 09:37 PM
RandomlyWest

Bikes: 2021 Batch Mountain Bicycle, 1989 Schwinn Impact, 2018 Micargi Avant, 1985 Asahi 790, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2021 SE Lager

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Here's some news: HB Velo Cyclery is reopening just off the SART's Atlanta Avenue "offramp", right at the corner of Brookhurst and Atlanta. Just saw the sign announcing the new location for the shop, which used to be over by Trader Joe's at Brookhurst and Hamilton.
Old 08-06-20, 10:59 AM
popeye

Five in custody

They killed a man for his bike at the RR bridge construction site last week.
Old 08-06-20, 02:49 PM
ilichzuniga

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did you did you find the information about suspects being in custody? I saw the CBS2 report online. I would post a link but I'm not allowed just yet.
Old 08-06-20, 04:54 PM
popeye

Originally Posted by ilichzuniga
Where did you did you find the information about suspects being in custody? I saw the CBS2 report online. I would post a link but I'm not allowed just yet.
https://patch.com/california/orange-...cle-police-say

That's Ftroup hood. I'm going to ask the patrol when I see them what they can tell me.
Old 08-06-20, 05:49 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
^^^^At 6:00 AM I imagine the victim was riding to work? Rode through there two weeks ago around noon and there was an unmarked SAPD Patrol Unit on SART and a marked unit right off the path further north. I can see at the construction area how they could have coordinated an ambush. Glad they arrested the POS's.
Old 08-07-20, 07:44 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

I rode through there the following morning and noticed there was still yellow police tape on the dirt path leading through the small Sturgeon park area south of the schoolgrounds. I regularly ride through there in the morning 6AM-7AM and never had an issue. Since it was in the park a little ways off the SART I wonder if there was more than just a bicycle theft involved (drug deal gone bad?). Even though that area of Santa Ana is known for gang activity **, the SART has always seemed safe to me and I'll still ride through the area. I'm always watching for crap on the path (bottles, broken glass, uneven pavement,etc) and people unaware of their surroundings (walking/talking groups of females are the worst!!!), so not too concerned.

** = 17th street footbridge (propane yard) to Edinger (soccer fields at Centennial Park).
Old 08-07-20, 04:26 PM
popeye

Today some clown in the same area was breaking the irrigation water valves flooding the trail in numerous spots.
Old 08-07-20, 07:13 PM
TakingMyTime

Keep us posted on that murder. I'm not riding right now but I have friends who travel that area a lot.
Old 08-08-20, 09:59 AM
popeye

We ride NB to Yorba Linda Regional Park M-F and will check with my homies. I consider the SART as safe as you could expect on a MUP. Peds and dogs are your biggest worry. The Tapia landscapers are always willing to help out cyclists if you have a problem.
Old 08-08-20, 07:19 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

I rode through the Spurgeon Park area this morning @7AM & 7:15AM (turned around at the 17th street footbridge) and it all seemed quiet, police tape gone, too. The only change was the chain-link fencing separating the park from the SART has had its gates closed up. When I got home I looked on google earth and the park looks like a great place for night-time criminal activity - The SART on one side, Spurgeon School's empty buildings on another, and a public storage & retail shopping center across 5th street, so no residential around it making it nice an secluded. I'm still thinking it had to be more than just a bike theft if a murder happened and gang members were involved, so it wasn't directly related to the SART and recreational bicycle riders. I'll keep riding through the area.
Old 09-04-20, 12:11 PM
popeye

I now have confirmation that the 5 perps in jail are indeed ftroup FTx. They are as bad as it gets and 5 more wasted lives.
Old 09-04-20, 01:18 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
In lighter news, the northern SART is now uninterrupted from Hidden Valley to Waterman, as construction somehow magically finished the pipework along the 10 corridor before the posted November date (but still well after than the originally promised July 1 date.)

There's still about 20 feet of trail missing east of E St. (so it's just dirt, but easily ridden) which will probably get fixed at some point. Not having to enter/exit the trail at Mt. Vernon or La Cadena is always nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.