Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Are European bikes worth it?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Are European bikes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20, 02:45 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by The_NinthWave
Thanks!

Honjo hardware is of better quality ?
Nah, just prettier. I really like their Dove stay rear instead of the standard L-bracket or VO's L-bracket or crimp-on bracket.
Old 02-24-20, 05:57 PM
The_NinthWave

Bikes: Raleigh Carlton (commuter, all-rounder) || Xprezo Wuuu 2011 (XC) || Poliquin Randonnée 90 (ongoing process) || CCM Nevada (winter commuter)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
JaccoW Thanks, I'll get this as well!
Old 03-11-20, 04:49 PM
The_NinthWave

Bikes: Raleigh Carlton (commuter, all-rounder) || Xprezo Wuuu 2011 (XC) || Poliquin Randonnée 90 (ongoing process) || CCM Nevada (winter commuter)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Gilles Berthoud 700C x 50mm long version stainless steel. With Simworks by Honjo hardware and fender flap.
I prefer stainless steel over aluminum, even though it is slightly heavier, and they are cheaper than VO aluminum fenders over here.
On Simworks by Honjo, all the "small parts" are sold separately.

I myself want to buy a set of Berthoud fenders and the Honjo parts like you did. I think I need:
  • U stay set
  • 4R clip Set
  • Dove Stay Front
  • Dove Stay Rear
Is anything else needed?
Old 03-13-20, 06:53 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by The_NinthWave
On Simworks by Honjo, all the "small parts" are sold separately.

I myself want to buy a set of Berthoud fenders and the Honjo parts like you did. I think I need:
  • U stay set
  • 4R clip Set
  • Dove Stay Front
  • Dove Stay Rear
Is anything else needed?
The Berthoud fenders come with a fork crown daruma bolt and fender stays, so I wouldn't bother with the Dove stay front or the U stay set. R-clips are a nice addition though the plastic variety that's included with the Berthoud's works just as well.
Everything else looks good.
Old 03-13-20, 07:26 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
It's all perceived quality rather than real quality. Most US and European brands have bicycles either fully made in Asia or just assemble mainly Asian parts including frame and forks. I've seen Hambini on youtube show how terrible a Canyon frame was, utter garbage, a CF frame full of voids and creases and the frame had terrible tolerances for the bottom bracket area. Also because the EU have put tariffs on China before the US many frames and forks are coming from Cambodia (the biggest exporter of bikes to the EU) which don't match the quality of mainland China bikes on average. If you look at frame warranties and weight limits you will normally find EU brands have lower limits than US brands on average and thats because they are generally weaker frames made lighter to appeal to the weight weenies. If you are a light rider fine but if you are a heavier rider or want to do bicycle touring perhaps not ideal. The best quality for price is buying an Asian brand like Giant who manufacture themselves and offer high weight limits and a long warranty plus come from perhaps the highest quality factories of mass produced bikes in the world. US and European brands are mainly importers, they sell themselves as manufacturers but at best they are assemblers and at worst full importers nothing more. Of course at higher end prices you get actual US or European manufactured frames and forks but that is at the very top of pricing.
Likes For Bonzo Banana:
Old 03-14-20, 06:01 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
All I know is when I visited Europe last year most bikes had Dynamo lights with low beam reflectors and they just looked cooler and more functional for commuting. Wish we could get stuff like that in the US easily.
Old 03-17-20, 04:33 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I am going to make 2 suggestions to the OP who seems to be intent on buying a belt drive internal gear bike. First:
​​​​​​https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5040-0...Steady-Bicycle
This bike is sold by a rock solid Canadian retailer with incredible after sales service(US members, think REI). The stores can provide great advice on outfitting the bike for Canadian winters.
next: https://www.amazon.ca/KMC-Buster-Bic.../dp/B000AYFRV8
These chains don't rust and they are a viable alternative to very expensive drive belts. Do they last as long? No. but they cost a tiny fraction of the cost of a drive belt and also offer the advantage that they work on a much larger variety of frames than belts which require a frame specifically designed for a belt. I would say that one of these chains would be more cost effective long term than a belt given the low price
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-27-20, 08:14 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I can recommend German Diamant - brand owned by Trek out of Chemnitz. Been producing bicycles since 1885.

VSF Fahrrad is also a respected value brand as is Puch out of Steyr, Austria.
Old 07-28-20, 05:21 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
DeVinci builds their aluminum bikes in Canada.

Looks like DeVinci Cartier Nexus might be what you're looking for.

Last edited by Viich; 07-28-20 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 08:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
3rd hand ,, NL brand , Taiwan frame & fork , German hub, brakes seat post mudguards and racks French cranks & rims, Italian stem & handlebars
Swiss Spokes.. had an XT hub , I rebuilt the wheel .

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-28-20 at 08:29 PM.