Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Route 2 for Bikepacking?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 06-06-20, 12:52 PM
ricrod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I own this bike (route-2-r141) and am considering prepping it for bikepacking / touring. I replaced the handlebars with a Jones H-bar and will be upgrading the saddle as soon as I decide which to get. Questions I have:

1. Is this bike even suitable for this purpose (with upgrades?)?

2. Should I convert it to 650b or just replace the 700x47c with something meatier?

3. Any other upgrades that I should consider before putting it through the abuse?

Thanks in advanced for the help! Love this site!

-ricrod
Old 08-01-20, 11:52 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I'm gonna bump this, because I'm in the market for a bike and have similar questions about how much bikes like this can do on gravel and dirt.

Or are you out bikepacking right now?!
Old 08-03-20, 08:22 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Isn't this a hybrid bike? If so your riding position will be very uprigt with most of your weight on the seat in a fairly inefficient riding position for touring... These bikes tend to get harder to ride after 15 miles or so due to the riding position that does not make best use of a lot of your leg muscles... No one is saying you cannot do it of course, but you sould ride a good touring bike for 10 miles to feel the differene...
Old 08-03-20, 08:44 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Yes, you probably can. It’s just backpacking with a bike. I think most people imagine more single track than would really suit this bike but you can plan to stay out of the steep and rough or just walk it if you need to at that point.

Is this a current model? My wife’s from about 5 years ago is much more upright than the current model. Here is very much a bike for riding to the store at the KOA.
Genesis 49:16-17