Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bikesdirect Mini Velo upgrade thread

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Bikesdirect Mini Velo upgrade thread

Old 06-17-20, 07:03 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
My mini velo currently snoozes in the closet of my new loft apt. Waiting for the sunshine.

So much more room even has the Dahon Boardwalk in there.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 06-18-20, 10:53 PM
cadeluxe

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I've made a number of "upgrades" to my bike the last week. It's turning into a real money pit!

So far, I've removed the two front chainrings and replaced it with one narrow wide 50 tooth chainring (Qik brand from Amazon) and removed the front derailleur. I attached the new chainring to the inside position. I think I read on the thread that a 54 tooth chain ring could fit attached to the inside position, though even with the 50t, it seemed close enough to the chainstay.

For a few days I tested out a $10 45 tooth chain ring (Meijun brand from Amazon) that attached to the outside position. The chainring was cnc'd to be offset so when it's bolted to the outside position, it actually centers the teeth between the outside and inside positions. Unfortunately, anytime I shifted to the largest rear cog, the chain would drop off the chainring. With the 50 tooth narrow wide and attached to the inside position, I did not have the chain drop problem. Two other observations: I discovered that the stock chainring bolts work with a single thicker narrow wide chainring. Second, with the Meijun chainring (maybe with the stock chainrings) I noticed that when the bike was on the largest rear cog and I back pedal, the chain would drop from the largest rear cog to the next gear down. With the inside positioned narrow wide, I don't have this problem. I guess the inside position of the chainring is the natural optimal chainline on that Nano.

I changed the cassette to a sunrace 11-32t. Another couple of observation: There seems to be enough grease on the rear hub. Grease was spilling out from inside the spindle. And the old cassette was not very tightly installed. The 50t and 11-32t cassette seems like a good combination for me. I'm just riding around for fun and not trying to keep up with road bikes.

I installed SKS 20 inch B53 fenders. It fits perfectly. The fork's fender mounts was crookedly tapped on one side. Or maybe I just cross-threaded and inadvertently retapped. It was hard to screw in in the first place because of the threads were painted.

I also rigged a Wald 137 basket to the front of my bike with some Tubus rack mount parts and hardware from McMaster Carr.

Unfortunately, the first upgrade I planned on making I'm still waiting for which was Dimensions Urban cruiser handlebars. That should be arriving tomorrow.

I also should be getting a Sunrace M96 8 speed indexed thumb shifter soon. I just can't do the downtube shifters. I feel like I'll crash into a parked car.

I'll try to post some pictures after I complete this first round of upgrades.
Likes For cadeluxe:
Old 06-20-20, 05:48 PM
3speedslow

cadeluxe

Please do add pics when you can. I want to see the fenders attached! What size tires are you running? As luck would have it I have so many parts saved up I really did not have to spend bucks for my upgrading. The stem was one exception.

Rain went away finally so with the weekend free from messenger duty it was time to mini velo play! The Mercier in front of one of the theater shows I caught when I was racing in Germany.

Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 06-25-20, 12:26 PM
cadeluxe

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Regarding maximum tire sizes, where is it on the bike that the clearances will be tight when we go near 1.75 inches and above?

Top of the fork, brake calipers, chainstay, chain, some other area I'm not considering? From what I can tell, there is at least an extra 1/2 - 3/4 an inch of clearance on each side with my stock 1.5inch Kendas.

Thank you!
Old 06-30-20, 09:31 PM
cadeluxe

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Here's the bike after a few but time consuming updates.

My Nano.

In summary my upgrades are:

50 tooth narrow wide chainring from Amazon (Qik brand? The chainring has no writing at all on it.) Removed front derailleur.
11-32t sunrace cassette.
Dimension Urban Cruiser 70mm rise 50 degree sweep.
Wald 137 basket attached with Tubus (320mm) rack hardware and p-clamps, spacers and hex bolts from McMaster Carr. And T bracket from home depot to mount to the fork brake crown.
Sun race 8 speed indexed thumb shifter. The 1x and thumb shifter is a total game changer.
Tektro FL750 brake levers
Random budget brake and shifter cable sets from Amazon
Shimano downtube shifter stop converters
SKS 20 inch bluemels 53 fenders

I just received a Selle Royal Ondina saddle which I installed after I took the picture of the bike.
I'm expecting to receive a pair of Tioga Powerblock 1.6 inch tires soon.

I'm considering a new stem because I'd like to get my handlebars a little higher. It looks like the Nitto Technomic is the goto option. Does it get higher than the stock stem? I also saw a "hiland" brand stem that goes pretty high. Are there any opinions on that one? $12.99 is pretty tempting.
https://smile.amazon.com/Hiland-Bicy.../dp/B082HP2SKD
Likes For cadeluxe:
Old 07-12-20, 07:41 AM
3speedslow

cadeluxe

The Technomic is a great choice. The one I went with on mine. I could have stuck with the original but wanted the option the Nitto gave to lower or raise the stem as I wanted for fast or tour riding.

Nice bike work on your mini velo! How does the basket ride on that? Is it low enough to not cause a load weight problem?
Old 07-12-20, 11:40 AM
cadeluxe

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
cadeluxe

The Technomic is a great choice. The one I went with on mine. I could have stuck with the original but wanted the option the Nitto gave to lower or raise the stem as I wanted for fast or tour riding.

Nice bike work on your mini velo! How does the basket ride on that? Is it low enough to not cause a load weight problem?
I ended up ordering and installing the cheap Hiland stem. It seems ok except for the branding laser etched on. I like the more "aggressive" look of the technomic because of the angle of the stem, but it seems like the only sizes in stock are 50, 60, and 70mm. What bugged me most about the original stem was the tightening bolt was super recessed so the dust cap is sort of necessary.

The basket rides pretty well. I had the same basket installed to a front rack on my Trek FX. When I carried stuff in it, the steering definitely felt sluggish, floppy and heavy. With the basket loaded and installed low on the Nano, the steering feels like the trek fx without load on the front. I can see why many cargo bikes use a 20 inch wheel in the front with the rack mounted low. As far as installation, originally I mounted the daruma brackets closer to the front of the basket, but that made the rear corners of the basket super flexy because it was only being supported by the center T bracket bolted at the brake. I moved the daruma brackets closer to the middle and that distributed the entire weight of the basket and contents over to the two aluminum stays. There is still some flex, but it's more of a springy flex instead of the flex where it feels like it will permanently deform the metal.

The Tioga Powerblock 1.6 inch tires are super light compared to the stock Kendas. There's still a little bit more space on the sides of the tires. Maybe 1/2 inch from the chainstays. I'm not sure how close it is to the top of the fender though.

I finally was able to build up the courage to take apart the wheel hubs and check the grease. The hubs was slightly tight so it was nice to be able to adjust that. The rear freehub had grease spilling out, but when I actually looked inside there really wasn't much grease inside like everyone else has mentioned.

Next things I have to build up more courage to do is greasing bottom bracket threads and greasing headset.

This has been an overall pretty fun learning experience. One day I might be confident enough to rebuild a steel thrift store bike!
Old 07-19-20, 08:51 PM
3speedslow

Long day out with the Mercier. Left the loft at 9am, back 8 ish. Everywhere.

Pedals are platform cause I want street shoes when I use this mode of transportation.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 07-31-20, 12:03 AM
Timbeau

Bikes: Schwinn Panther Alfine 8 speed klunker MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Long day out with the Mercier. Left the loft at 9am, back 8 ish. Everywhere.

Pedals are platform cause I want street shoes when I use this mode of transportation.
Good looking bike.

I'd be sweating bullets using that lock.
Old 07-31-20, 08:10 AM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by Timbeau
Good looking bike.

Thanks! I used the OEM components for awhile but always like to change out my bikes how I like them. Most everything I had already except the Nitto Technomic stem so it was a cheap upgrade.

The lock is an Arbus, great lock that I have used for years both casual and for messenger work. My area is more of a “snatch and ride off” criminal mode. I recently bought a new one, the same model and found out they beefed it up by another pound. 3 pounds lock and heavy Chrome bag has me sweating bullets in the heat!
Old 07-31-20, 04:28 PM
Timbeau

Bikes: Schwinn Panther Alfine 8 speed klunker MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The lock is an Arbus
​​​​
Ah... I thought it was one of those tiny dollar store locks.

Back in my lane...

Last edited by Timbeau; 08-01-20 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 07-31-20, 06:44 PM
3speedslow

Just found out those Evo stands which slip over the nondrive side rear does NOT allow the wheel to rest on the floor. Might have to do modification work!

Last edited by 3speedslow; 07-31-20 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-01-20, 03:28 PM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by Timbeau
Good looking bike.

Dude! Turns out you were right! I WOULD be sweating bullets if I used what I thought was my Arbus. In the pic, was my leg band! It’s the same colour as my lock...

HA!

Working lock.

Pants leg protector.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 08-03-20, 08:07 PM
3speedslow

And the Mercier Mini Velo has SOLD OUT at BD.com!

Hopefully Mike has plans for another batch.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 08-04-20, 06:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Abus, not Arbus.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-04-20, 07:26 PM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by noglider
Abus, not Arbus.
My misteak! I used to be pretty fluent in German too.
Old 08-09-20, 03:12 PM
3speedslow

Changed the saddle from a B17 narrow to a B17 standard. Another good Brooks for the slight drop from saddle to bar. Green also goes well with the black. Also installed black half cages to help hold my shoes to the MKS G-9.

For a overnight out of town visit I packed everything I needed into my longflap Carradice saddlebag. Nice to keep a bag off my back when I am not working!

Kept the bag stable with the rack carradice sells.
Old 08-10-20, 10:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
That's really nice, @3speedslow.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-16-20, 07:56 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Latest edition, DollarTree flowers. Took it to the Safeway today.

Dollartree flowers to brighten your day.
Old 08-26-20, 06:10 PM
BCATC

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
And the Mercier Mini Velo has SOLD OUT at BD.com!

Hopefully Mike has plans for another batch.
Anyone know when they could be back in stock or is it harder to predict because minivelos are much more niche?
Old 08-26-20, 08:58 PM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by BCATC
Anyone know when they could be back in stock or is it harder to predict because minivelos are much more niche?
i think there will be another order from Mike. Every time he has brought them to this shore they have sold out. When... I do not know. This Covid mess is screwing the whole order-timetable up. Last batch which mine came from was delayed.

Probably best to contact BD directly and ask.
Old 08-26-20, 09:05 PM
3speedslow

I am so ready to change out the price point headset on my Mercier. It just does not stay tight. When the time comes I will go from the 30.0 to 30.2 and open up the choices. A nice silver Tange...
Old 08-27-20, 09:03 AM
BCATC

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
i think there will be another order from Mike. Every time he has brought them to this shore they have sold out. When... I do not know. This Covid mess is screwing the whole order-timetable up. Last batch which mine came from was delayed.

Probably best to contact BD directly and ask.
I went ahead and sent an email to their customer support. According to her, they will not be restocking for 6-9 months. So... if anyone happens to be selling one in 1-2 months in the Seattle, WA area... let me know.
Old 09-06-20, 02:04 PM
3speedslow

Another long weekend to enjoy the Nano. Long solo ride followed by a coffee shop. Short grocery run till I get my BOB trailer up and running, then home.

This shows the stairs I climb hefting the Mercier, no problem here. Only change lately is attaching another Carradice saddlebag to the bike, a Junior.

Old 09-23-20, 08:25 PM
3speedslow

Noticed a lot of brake dust on the rear wheel so I thought it was time to upgrade to some Jagwire. OEM ones did okay but sure noticed the weight saving when I hefted the new and old.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.