Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What Am I Missing? (Random Performance Declines)

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 07:00 PM
Aerzon

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 4.0, Panasonic DX1000

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

I've been training up intervals and top speed runs in hour long sessions as opposed to riding for mileage these last couple months. (Basically more intensity, less distance I guess) I've noticed that lately I start very strong and then I gradually start to feel weak again. This feeling can last for a bit and then goes away for no reason at all. I'm not fatigued as far as muscles or sleep goes, not bored, and in the past I've had no problems going cycling multiple days in a row. I'm just curious if anyone else has had this feeling, or if it sounds like a common cycling problem of some kind that I can correct. If you had to take a stab at it, any guesses? I know this is a total shot in the dark, but I figured the forum is worth a try quick just in case anyone has had a similar problem. Posted here because I have a feeling nutrition could be a culprit. Cheers guys

In summary Of What I Mean: (Last week)
Thursday: Fastest sprints, not tired after even harder intervals
Friday: About the same
Saturday: Feeling weak, having to force myself to achieve 80% as much speed and intervals leave me much more fatigued.
Sunday: Like Saturday but worse, I feel very "clunky"

And then I can't get back to the Thursday/Friday feeling until it randomly just hits me again.
Old 08-08-20, 09:21 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Not a bug, it's a feature. It's how you know to rest a bit. My guess is that your return to good performance isn't random, rather is the result of taking it easier for a few days. That's what you're supposed to do. You might look at online training plans to see how workouts are usually structured. A more structured approach is usually helpful.

It's not really your muscles, it's systemic exhaustion. One can only do so much. We are purposely limited by evolution. Otherwise, we'd work ourselves to death.
Old 08-08-20, 09:53 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Aerzon
I've been training up intervals and top speed runs in hour long sessions as opposed to riding for mileage these last couple months. (Basically more intensity, less distance I guess) I've noticed that lately I start very strong and then I gradually start to feel weak again.

In summary Of What I Mean: (Last week)
Thursday: Fastest sprints, not tired after even harder intervals
Friday: About the same
Saturday: Feeling weak, having to force myself to achieve 80% as much speed and intervals leave me much more fatigued.
Sunday: Like Saturday but worse, I feel very "clunky"
To be clear: you're doing "fastest" sprints four days in a row, and half those days you're feeling "weak" or "clunky"?

The longer-term stamina at a given level of performance is one of the things that takes a darned long time to achieve. In my own experience, it comes from combining two main things: the longer/slower distance type exercise that yields a good general base of cardio and strength, plus the harder and more-focused sprints/intervals/climbs type exercise that works the muscles differently. Varying which is done, at what intensity, for how long, weaving in suitable recovery between successive "hard" sessions ... in my own experience, that's what yields improved stamina.

Definitely look at your rest and session nutrition, to ensure you're well-rested and sufficiently fueled to support such intensity. And definitely consider the amount of recovery period your own body needs given the duration and intensity of such "hard" sessions. Ensure good recovery nutrition (and nutrient-dense nutrition in general, beyond sufficient protein to aid in rebuilding). Everyone's different, with how much of all of this is needed.

Basic change I'd make, for starters: add a couple of days of recovery following each of your "hard" sprint/climb sessions, and instead focus on a different type of riding or exercise. You'll be providing more repair and rebuild time for the muscles, and you'll also be helping the body to gradually improve overall stamina levels given those harder sessions. Takes time. Longer still, as we get older, as recovery isn't nearly so effective.
Old 08-09-20, 04:08 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
You're doing too much interval training too frequently....Try doing some longer duration lower intensity rides..
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-09-20, 04:49 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
You're missing rest and recovery.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 08-09-20, 05:56 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by cubewheels

But I can recover and repair damaged muscles in just 12 hours, going a bit faster the next day. I made a huge progress hard training in just 8 weeks (since I started cycling) daily without day off.

But again, not everyone may have the same capacity or genes to repair and adapt muscles quickly.

The progress that you made is called " newbie gains " and it has nothing to do with your superior genetics or your magical recovery abilities...Everybody who starts training experiences rapid gains but those gains are only temporary. Eventually your progress will slow down and you will need to make changes.
Old 08-09-20, 07:40 AM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
You have some great guidance here.

I think with cycling or any type of fitness, you need to take a day off or dial it back after a high intensity workout like you’re doing

Last edited by CyclingBK; 08-09-20 at 10:46 AM.
Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 08-09-20, 10:03 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by wolfchild
The progress that you made is called " newbie gains " and it has nothing to do with your superior genetics or your magical recovery abilities...
It's the glutes.

It probably helps that I was born with big glutes and I only weigh 128 lbs.
Old 08-09-20, 10:53 AM
Aerzon

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 4.0, Panasonic DX1000

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
General consensus seems to be rest days. Can a rest day involve taking a long walk, or should I quite literally not do much at all?

My rest days in the past I just took walks instead of getting on the bike.
Old 08-09-20, 10:58 AM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
General consensus seems to be rest days. Can a rest day involve taking a long walk, or should I quite literally not do much at all?

Do some upper body strength training ; )
Thats what I do on days off the bike. Hey, it’s a “rest day” for your legs, right? 😃
Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 08-09-20, 11:41 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Can a rest day involve taking a long walk, or should I quite literally not do much at all?
Everybody is different, some people like to do nothing and others prefer active rest or active recovery.....I prefer doing some light and easy physical activity on my rest days... I never liked the idea of just doing absolutely nothing all day. Personally I need to do something physical every day or else I feel like crap.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-09-20, 03:47 PM
rubiksoval

For me, rest days are for catching up on housework chores, extra time spent chasing around my littlest, and catching up on any extra work I've put off.

I.E., rest days are the least restful days I have each week.
Old 08-10-20, 08:43 AM
rubiksoval

I wouldn't advice listening to music on earphones. Perhaps, riding with a group that is slightly faster / more advanced in training than yourself.
I never ride on my own without listening to music.

But of course, I'm not dodging multiple lanes of traffic the entire time, either.
Old 08-10-20, 09:01 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Anyway, a bit of adopting a certain mindset to sustain hard efforts everyday. It also seems to help chasing fresh roadies on the road or even chasing pros in training (in another lane so I'm not "draft-cheating").
1. It isn't a hard effort if it is everyday. Maybe steady state everyday. But steady state isn't hard enough you can't do it days in a row for periods of time. So, just no.

2. Pics or GTFO.

Oh, and if you were JUST posting up as recently taking up riding and asking questions as a newbie...........why are you in here trying to give out advice?

As for the original poster: you need rest days. Especially if doing high intensity work or sprint work. You can't do sprint work everyday. I personally interpret high intensity as above steady state.
Old 08-10-20, 10:47 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'll have this arranged in my 3rd month. Perhaps, on-bike video even better. We'll see (not making a promise).
Understand for me I use the "pics or gtfo" as a jesting post. Having some fun. I'm not serious, but if you want to feel free to share!
Old 08-10-20, 11:34 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Anyway, I've been doing lots of indoor "recovery" pedaling lately between rides, in the same day. Our mod Hermes suggested training indoors in between rides and been doing it and it's actually very good. For some strange reason, it's helping to keep my muscles fresh (even avoiding getting sore).
Back in the day, we used that technique to speed recovery with our performance middle-distance running regimen. Very hard training days were usually followed with much-slower runs and non-running easy activities.

So far as we figured, at the time, it helped boost circulation, speed nutrient delivery, loosened up the muscles but did not strain them, and thus sped up recovery.

Occasionally required another day of "off" activities, but the failure to do the longer/slower stuff in between was clear: invariably we'd be much more sore, have much less "zip" and strength for the subsequent tougher training run.

As you say, for "some strange reason" it seems to help keep the muscles "fresh" and avoid much soreness.