Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sell R5, get Caledonia - would you do this?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sell R5, get Caledonia - would you do this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 05:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Nah dude... i have wanted an aero road bike since the first S3 was released. I love my Venge (plus the all-black means i can wear my pink-and-blue team kit and NOT like like a paint sampler).
I thought all bikes were aero now, and reason how they all justify all models weighing a bunch more than they did few years ago?
Old 07-27-20, 08:46 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Seems like it would be less of a pain to rent a bike when you travel?
Yeah but I like riding my own bike, Also, a lot of the places we visit, there arent a lot of rental opportunities (or only entry level bikes, if at all). I am gonna put 30mm tires on the R5 for now and see how that goes. I just realized that the RapidAirs I have on it measure out to only 28mm. So i have a bit more width to go anyway. I'll flip the R5 only if i come across a situation where I actually NEED a wider tire (opposed to merely wanting one).
Old 07-28-20, 05:18 AM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
If you're going to sell the R5, make sure you know the difference between what you need to net and what the market will actually allow. While low end bikes are flying off the shelves, it seems as if the higher end market is still pretty stagnant especially on used bikes.
Likes For cyclebycle13:
Old 08-12-20, 07:22 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

So I did it. Sold off my R5 frameset to someone I know. Got a good deal on a Factor LS, and have placed an order for that - should be here in 4-6 weeks. Much as I loved the R5, I really DONT need two 2 bikes that are so similar and then a third gravel bike. Especially now that I am in my tri-dork guise and only riding maybe 6-7 hours a week.

It's gonna cost me about $350 or so for the switch, all told. I can live with that. Will get it custom-painted at some point as well.
Old 08-12-20, 11:38 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I'd be curious to hear what you think of the LS.
I was very much eyeing one last month, before I got my Aspero, but I'm in between a 52 and 54 and wasn't sure that I could one to work. I knew the Asperos geometry would be perfect so I went with it.
Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 08-12-20, 12:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I can't believe you didn't give me the R5 as thanks for all the laughter and joy I've brought to this forum.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-12-20, 12:26 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by melikebikey35
I'd be curious to hear what you think of the LS.
I was very much eyeing one last month, before I got my Aspero, but I'm in between a 52 and 54 and wasn't sure that I could one to work. I knew the Asperos geometry would be perfect so I went with it.
The Aspero was my other candidate, but i got a very good deal on the Factor. Will post a short review once I do. I got a 56 as it replicates the fit of my R5 to within 2mm (2mm taller with no spacers, and 2mm longer with the same 130mm stem). I really hope that it doesnt miss out a lot in terms of stiffness compared to the R5 - selling that frame was a damn tough decision!

What's your ownership experience with the Aspero like? I've read the ride reviews, but any quirks, attributes or "gotchas" that you think a buyer should know before buying it? Am likely going to get one for my wife (the geometry fits her better anyway).
Old 08-12-20, 12:30 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I can't believe you didn't give me the R5 as thanks for all the laughter and joy I've brought to this forum.
I have not once heard you say "ass"....
Old 08-12-20, 12:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Well I have a lady coming over this evening, and she's a very well rounded individual. But it's too late, you already sold the R5!
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-12-20, 03:27 PM
melikebikey35

The Aspero was my other candidate, but i got a very good deal on the Factor. Will post a short review once I do. I got a 56 as it replicates the fit of my R5 to within 2mm (2mm taller with no spacers, and 2mm longer with the same 130mm stem). I really hope that it doesnt miss out a lot in terms of stiffness compared to the R5 - selling that frame was a damn tough decision!

What's your ownership experience with the Aspero like? I've read the ride reviews, but any quirks, attributes or "gotchas" that you think a buyer should know before buying it? Am likely going to get one for my wife (the geometry fits her better anyway).
I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell mine ...it's such a joy to ride. But, the LS looks very interesting, and it seems like Factor knows how to design a bike, so it should soften the blow a bit. I very nearly got an O2 instead of my R5, so I still have this strong urge to see how a Factor rides.

A Cervelo 54 fits me beautifully...I run a 10mm spacer on the R5, and a 2.5mm on the Aspero. The 52 LS would match (within 1-2mm) the stack/reach of my R5, but then ST angle is too steep (I have long legs/thighs), and everything else seems like it would have been too compact for off-road. Then everything on the 54 looks perfect, but the stack...its 10-15mm too tall.

Aspero wise, I'm very impressed by it. The only "buyer beware" thing that I can think of, is that they really were not kidding when they say that comfort was not a priority. I don't find it uncomfortable, by any means, but it definitely prefers to be ridden fast and hard. So, if comfort is a main selling point for someone, then it's probably not the best option.
Then I did have a clearance issue with my 50/34 crankset, but that turned out to be a problem with the BB, and not the frame itself.
Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 08-12-20, 03:34 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

I'm curious what you think of it - it popped up in my gravel searching.
Old 08-12-20, 04:03 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Similar geo (stretched out and lower stack) is the Scott Addict Gravel.. doesn't get mention much though.
Old 08-12-20, 04:40 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Similar geo (stretched out and lower stack) is the Scott Addict Gravel.. doesn't get mention much though.
That Addict Gravel 10 looks amazing.

Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-13-20, 07:24 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts

What did you pay for the Factor? My friend is an ambassador for the brand and can get me some terrific pricing.
Old 08-13-20, 10:27 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I'm curious what you think of it - it popped up in my gravel searching.
4-6 weeks to delivery... *sigh

Aspero wise, I'm very impressed by it. The only "buyer beware" thing that I can think of, is that they really were not kidding when they say that comfort was not a priority. I don't find it uncomfortable, by any means, but it definitely prefers to be ridden fast and hard. So, if comfort is a main selling point for someone, then it's probably not the best option.
Then I did have a clearance issue with my 50/34 crankset, but that turned out to be a problem with the BB, and not the frame itself.
Gotcha - maybe I am weird, but i really dont find any bike to be particularly uncomfortable. Ok, road bike - my Shiv + HED wheels shake my teeth loose going over anything rough.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I remember checking Scott's gravel options a while ago and for whatever reason, their gravel bike doesnt seem to have registered with me. Not sure why....

Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
What did you pay for the Factor? My friend is an ambassador for the brand and can get me some terrific pricing.
I will PM you.
Old 08-13-20, 12:28 PM
melikebikey35

Gotcha - maybe I am weird, but i really dont find any bike to be particularly uncomfortable. Ok, road bike - my Shiv + HED wheels shake my teeth loose going over anything rough.
I'm the same way...I agree that some bikes are more comfortable than others, but I've yet to ride one that I would consider uncomfortable. But I also know that "an acceptable level of comfort" is a subjective thing, and some are more sensitive/picky, so I figured it was worth mentioning
Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 08-14-20, 01:45 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

I'm the same way...I agree that some bikes are more comfortable than others, but I've yet to ride one that I would consider uncomfortable. But I also know that "an acceptable level of comfort" is a subjective thing, and some are more sensitive/picky, so I figured it was worth mentioning
Fair enough, thanks for that. Fitting 50/34s does seem to become an issue with wider tire clearances, unless you go with a dropped chainstay. The Factor has the same BB as the Cervelo, and I have specifically emailed them to confirm that it wont be an issue. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-14-20, 10:53 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

My S1 was really uncomfortable on chipseal.