Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Strava estimated power vs. indoor power??

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Strava estimated power vs. indoor power??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 11:37 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
What has helped me is the first data field on my computer is instant power (largest display), the next is workout average power followed by speed and time. I zoom into only those fields when I'm riding. Distance, HR, Cadence, etc are further down and can be seen if I zoomed out. Having workout average power displayed lets me know if I'm on target or slacking...depending on what I want to do that day.
Try 3 second power. Doesn't fluctuate as much as instant power, but is still close enough to let you dial in a given level.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 08-13-20, 11:55 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Try 3 second power. Doesn't fluctuate as much as instant power, but is still close enough to let you dial in a given level.
This is what I do. I only have 3 data fields on my intervals screen: 3 sec power; lap avg. power; and lap time. I try to make the two power numbers = power target.
Old 08-13-20, 12:02 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
When I first started using power, instant would jump all over the place. I took that as a sign that I was not being as efficient as I could be. I can now keep instant power fairly steady...not like 3 second average steady, but enough to know at a glance if I am in the range I need to be in. I like the instant feedback.
Old 08-13-20, 01:45 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
burnthesheep It was a serious question. I don't feel that riding a trainer indoors and riding a bicycle outdoors are the same thing. Several times I've actually met young people claiming they have no time to ride outside and all they do is ride a trainer indoors for many hours. When going outdoors for a few times they wonder why they can't perform like they did on the trainer.

Don't get me wrong, trainers are very useful, but for conversational purposes it'd help to know which is being talked about.
The question came across as rhetorical. We already knew the person does ride outdoors. We also knew the number difference was pretty large.

Now, the response to mine comes across as a bit of a strawman. Of course I would say that someone who only ever rides a trainer will have all sorts of problems converting to outdoors.

However, indoor trainers have their place. Like snowy winters, days with thunderstorms, etc....Obree rode a pretty rudimentary stationary a good bit and he could crush an outdoors TT. Hour record holder. So I don't buy that load one bit.

I'm not interested in debating that topic further and I'm not sure why it was even brought up as that it isn't related to the OP's question. The performance difference isn't small enough to chalk it up to not putting out the beans outside when you can inside or being too afraid to hold the power on the road you're riding on. 300 for an hour is a long cry from 240 for 8min from the segment posted earlier.
Old 08-13-20, 03:12 PM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
The question came across as rhetorical. We already knew the person does ride outdoors. We also knew the number difference was pretty large.

Now, the response to mine comes across as a bit of a strawman. Of course I would say that someone who only ever rides a trainer will have all sorts of problems converting to outdoors.

However, indoor trainers have their place. Like snowy winters, days with thunderstorms, etc....Obree rode a pretty rudimentary stationary a good bit and he could crush an outdoors TT. Hour record holder. So I don't buy that load one bit.

I'm not interested in debating that topic further and I'm not sure why it was even brought up as that it isn't related to the OP's question. The performance difference isn't small enough to chalk it up to not putting out the beans outside when you can inside or being too afraid to hold the power on the road you're riding on. 300 for an hour is a long cry from 240 for 8min from the segment posted earlier.
I ride outside as much as I can. I work pretty late and I have a 3 and 5 year old to look after in the AM. Gotta get up, make breakfasts, etc. Outside rides are kind of a luxury and come at the cost of doubling duty for my wife.

My 4iiii power meter is on the way, so we will find out soon enough. The last few days I've been using my Kickr. I recalibrated (pumped the tire to 100psi, and tightened the knob per Wahoo's instructions). Ran two workouts, and on ERG 200-250 felt like a tempo. About what it feels like to go about 20-24 on a flat road with my road bike.

Once I have my PM I'll know what's really up, and then I'll repost. It's 5 days away. Can't wait.
Likes For showlow:
Old 08-13-20, 05:29 PM
showlow

SOLVED - I found the missing watts in Strava's estimate. I had no equipment in Strava. I added a generic bike and just called it "bikey" and made it 24 lbs, which is about what my steel cross bike weighs. As soon as I added it, Strava added a significant amount to my wattage estimate for the total ride. That same segment is now calculated to have been about 320 watts effort. Before it was calculating my effort as a rider/bike system weighing a total of 175 lbs, which is at least 25 lbs too light. Especially when I'm carrying two 32 oz bottles. So there we go...

Last edited by showlow; 08-13-20 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-15-20, 04:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
IME Strava estimated power works very well on long (1000'+) climbs with steady gradient in near windless-conditions. I've seen it be within 2 watts of what my hub PM was saying. Your Strava inputs have to be accurate w/r to your clothed weight and bike's that day weight. Any deviations from these conditions result in BS.
Old 08-15-20, 04:29 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
IME Strava estimated power works very well on long (1000'+) climbs with steady gradient in near windless-conditions. I've seen it be within 2 watts of what my hub PM was saying. Your Strava inputs have to be accurate w/r to your clothed weight and bike's that day weight. Any deviations from these conditions result in BS.
My broken watch tells the correct time twice a day.
Old 08-15-20, 05:28 PM
showlow

​​​​​I have to assume this is closer to reality. I have a power meter on the way so I will know for sure soon. But, obviously Strava's calculation was off before because there was no equipment weight factored in. As soon as I put the bike in it bumped the estimate 50+ watts. That screen capture represented a 10 min interval that felt a lot like a 320 watt 10 min interval on my Wahoo Kickr Snap. The first half of that segment is a very rough road with sandy wash crossings and a few steep, sharp climbs. What was agonizing me before was that what felt like 320 watts on my trainer was estimated to be 250 by Strava. Other people, weighing much less than me, would be doing similar times on the same climbs but Strava would estimate they made more power.
Old 08-15-20, 05:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by asgelle
My broken watch tells the correct time twice a day.
That's happened on several different rides with long steady climbs. After I had my PM, I came back and rode them at the same watts and speed as Strava had for me before and with about the same level of exhaustion - that is, I rode them as Strava's predicted watts and got the same result. It's only math, not magic. I don't see any reason why the same math doesn't work every day.
Old 08-16-20, 05:08 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
The Strava-verse would be significantly better if they just got rid of estimated power. It does absolutely nothing but cause confusion and problems. Zero useful info from it.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 08-16-20, 05:10 AM
rubiksoval

Th It's only math, not magic. I don't see any reason why the same math doesn't work every day.

Because no one rides in a static-state vacuum.

And just like you said, it has to be a long, steady climb, but even then you can ride at a constant output or by doing a series of accelerations and deceleration equating to the same average power and Strava would have no clue. What's the point of that?
Old 08-16-20, 10:07 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Because no one rides in a static-state vacuum.

And just like you said, it has to be a long, steady climb, but even then you can ride at a constant output or by doing a series of accelerations and deceleration equating to the same average power and Strava would have no clue. What's the point of that?
I don't know what the point of that would be. I try to ride long climbs at a steady pace, but then I'm not racing other cyclists on long rides, I'm TTing it. The interesting thing for me was that I was able to set my power level at my Strava estimated average power for the same long climb, hold that power steadier that I could without the PM, and get a good result. I thought that was pretty cool.
Old 08-17-20, 08:58 PM
showlow

First ride w/ a power meter. Was riding on an overfull stomach of risotto so my efforts were bad. Got a side cramp. Finally got a cup on my favorite descent though.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/32qSHQGy28

Last edited by showlow; 08-17-20 at 09:14 PM.
Likes For showlow:
Old 10-01-20, 06:29 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I really want to get a power meter.

When I compare my Strava estimate to my Zwift numbers on a similar hill segment I get similar results, really close actually and about 10-11% off my ftp which I get from a trainer.

But if I go on a group ride with only a few short climbs and compare that to a similar ride in Zwift, my Strava numbers are quite a bit lower same as the OP. The trend is the same just lower numbers. So I'm going to conclude same as a previous poster that the Strava numbers are most accurate on a long steady climb. Fingers crossed at least.
Old 10-01-20, 08:40 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by showlow
First ride w/ a power meter. Was riding on an overfull stomach of risotto so my efforts were bad. Got a side cramp. Finally got a cup on my favorite descent though.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/32qSHQGy28

Did you stop at the top of the climb?
Old 10-01-20, 09:30 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Thomas15
But if I go on a group ride with only a few short climbs and compare that to a similar ride in Zwift, my Strava numbers are quite a bit lower same as the OP. The trend is the same just lower numbers. So I'm going to conclude same as a previous poster that the Strava numbers are most accurate on a long steady climb. Fingers crossed at least.
Strava doesn't account for drafting in a group.

Or wind. Or position. Or road surface. Or rolling resistance. Etc.

Best to just ignore it.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 10-01-20, 09:04 PM
showlow

Originally Posted by jadocs
Did you stop at the top of the climb?
Maybe? Don't recall. Why?
Old 10-02-20, 11:05 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by showlow
Maybe? Don't recall. Why?
Just looking at the power and elevation profile.