Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

San Gabriel River Trail - Safe ??

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 11-13-16, 09:36 AM
pwcfan

Bikes: Diamondback Century 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How safe is the SGRT, weekend days for a solo rider ? The full route from Seal Beach, to the Dam ?
Old 11-13-16, 06:51 PM
hsuehhwa

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used to ride it all the time during daytime. I felt safe. Be careful on the tunnel underneath Whittier Blvd. There's just enough space for two slow riders to cross.
Old 11-13-16, 09:08 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I used to live near where the trail went under Lower Azusa Blvd and rode out to seal beach several times. The only problem I ever had was that there seemed to be very few places for water along the way, and rude horse people.

The bad news is that my experience was so long ago that it is barely relevant.
Old 11-13-16, 11:24 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have always felt safe there during daylight on weekends end to end, and the mix of people using the trail seems to suggest many people do. Everyone is quick to offer help if you have a mechanical. North of Cerritos at night seems iffy, especially between Whittier Narrows and Santa Fe dam. I have done it at night, nothing happened, but people stared at me. Maybe my lights made me look like a cop.
Old 11-14-16, 10:08 AM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
The most dangerous thing on weekends are the club pelotons that think it's their private race track.

Next to the parks down around Cerritos get crowded with small kids, multiple dogs on leashes etc.

I've never had an issue with horses, they only use the paved portions where there is no option, and keep in mind they do have the right of way.
Old 11-14-16, 01:39 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Possible alternative approach:

SC=Santiago Canyon

You live in Lake Forest? if so, think about this.

Get up to the SCR, pass the SC College, then back into Villa Park, now go north towards
Tustin Blvd, getting across the @91. Then North on Rose, to Birch. From there work your
way to Leffingwell, then you are in Whittier.

Once in Whitter, you can figure out how to get to the SGRT to continue north.

There are several of us here that use that corridor to cross between the LA/Orange County
lines. Crossing over the freeway can get scary, but dialing up the Watts will help.

Last edited by marquhar; 11-14-16 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-14-16, 10:20 PM
hsuehhwa

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tgt1
the most dangerous thing on weekends are the club pelotons that think it's their private race track.
+1
Likes For hsuehhwa:
Old 12-26-16, 06:09 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 59 Posts
Nice Trail(s) Sketchy Connection

I just recently found this trail. I've been riding a bit on the segment which connects (definitively a stretch using that word) with the Whittier Greenway Trail. I haven't found the SGRT to be that busy around there, but it doesn't seem very well kept. Granted, a lot of that could be due to the weather with rain washing debris onto the trail and flooding tunnels, but things like locked gates in the middle of the day are a hassle when trying to safely get on and off the trail, especially when there are few points of egress.

The situation in transiting from one trail to the other was incredibly dangerous. I hope a lot of that was temporary and due to the construction going on.

Old 12-26-16, 09:18 PM
TGT1

Yeah, the intersection at Beverly, Pioneer and the 605 is definitely heads up and be aggressive about getting in the left hand turn lane.

As far as the Greenway not connecting, Never underestimate the stupidity of a politician when spending public money. There are numerous segments of trails that dead end like that a half mile or less from connecting with another trail. The right of way and an unused bridge over the 605 would make connecting it a no brainer to anyone except a county official.

I usually bail off of the greenway because there's so much pedestrian traffic and take Lambert over to Washington, (getting under the fwy at Washington is really about as bad as Beverly) but checking out the map may try Mines and the entry at the end of Dunlap Crossing Road next time I go over Colima, if I don't continue to Coyote Creek.

As far a maintenance, it's not swept or patched except as access for flood control may require. There is a regular daily graffiti crew, but the taggers outnumber him. Job security indefinitely. Keep in mind this is really an access road for a flood control dike with public access a secondary use. That segment you have in the photo has a regular problem with dirt washing across from the railroad easement above exacerbated by bums cutting thru the fence for access to the trail.

Last edited by TGT1; 12-26-16 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-26-16, 11:38 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 59 Posts
Thanks @TGT1. Good info. The Greenway was really 'nice' but frustrating at the same time because compared to riding as I usually do (basically in/with traffic) it took ages due to pedestrian traffic and all of the cross streets which broke it up. I still enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't ride it regularly.

I'm looking forward to doing the SGRT from end to end and getting to know it. Most of my LA riding has been in the hills between The Valley and Malibu. I'm just getting to know the Hacienda Heights / Whittier area. I was really disappointed to learn that the trail which looks so good online (the Schabarum-Skyline Trail) is closed in so many places. (why why WHY?) I would love to ride that trail north to the mountains, especially since it has fantastic tunnels underneath the major obstacles (Colima Rd. & the rail roads for example). I haven't been able to find any info on these closures by emailing the county or by searching for alerts on county websites.

Thanks for the tips (and any others you may have) on good rides or shortcuts in the area. Much appreciated!

Funny about the bum-holes in the fence. I noticed that as well.
Old 12-27-16, 06:35 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Bar tape might help
Old 12-27-16, 07:07 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Bar tape might help
One of these days, someone will come up with transparent bar tape to reveal the carbon fiber layups.
Old 12-27-16, 08:48 AM
TGT1

Originally Posted by CriticalThought
I'm just getting to know the Hacienda Heights / Whittier area. I was really disappointed to learn that the trail which looks so good online (the Schabarum-Skyline Trail) is closed in so many places. (why why WHY?) I would love to ride that trail north to the mountains, especially since it has fantastic tunnels underneath the major obstacles (Colima Rd. & the rail roads for example). I haven't been able to find any info on these closures by emailing the county or by searching for alerts on county websites.

The Schabarum trail was conceived as a horse and hiking trail (his daughter was part of the horsey set) and that means it has some sections of steep single track and really isn't maintained at all except where it's part of the commons for a housing development.

I think there's some politics at play here as well. Schabarum was a combative guy and a constant thorn in the side of the party now in power with the LA Co board of supervisors when he was on the board so it probably sticks in their craw that his name is on anything let alone spend any money on it.
Old 03-02-17, 01:36 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1
The Schabarum trail was conceived as a horse and hiking trail (his daughter was part of the horsey set) and that means it has some sections of steep single track and really isn't maintained at all except where it's part of the commons for a housing development.

I think there's some politics at play here as well. Schabarum was a combative guy and a constant thorn in the side of the party now in power with the LA Co board of supervisors when he was on the board so it probably sticks in their craw that his name is on anything let alone spend any money on it.
That area is patrolled by Industry Sheriffs and I'm sure the tunnel under Colima is closed for a few reasons, probably including homeless/crime management, reducing maintenance costs, and lack of use. You simply don't see equestrians using the trail at all, at least not in my experience. If you want to ride further from the park-- I still think of it as Otterbein Park, on the grounds it is hard to justify renaming anything for a living pol-- I'd exit the park instead of going under Albatross and make my way on Colima to Stoner Creek, where you can catch the trail as it goes under the 60 FWY.

Regarding the tunnel under the tracks, take a drive over there and see. Lots of nice places to grab a meal around Rowland Heights. But I would not be shocked if it was closed as well.
Old 03-10-17, 12:47 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I live close to SGRT near Del Amo which is where I access trail. I have ridden the trail to the Santa Fe Dam solo several times. I'm a woman and I have never really ever felt like I was in any danger. The further north you go the more "cyclists" you see and less beach / MUP like traffic. Occasional horses tho only on the trail as mentioned if no other option. I watch out for them as I'd hate to spook one. (I was on a horse once as a kid that got spooked and I was along for the ride thru apple orchards holding on for dear life to the saddle horn and tucked to avoid getting wacked by a tree branch).

I enjoy visiting with Omar the Gatorade guy by the dam. He's a friendly dude and even remembers me despite my infrequent visits. He recognized I was on a different bike than previous (I have two road bikes now). I've been offered a slice of pizza even! I bring a few dollars with me so I can purchase a cold coke from him.

My route typically is to go north first and then head back south to the beach. Then back north home. This is to maximize potential of getting tail wind at end of my ride.

I've seen a coyote or two.

As for the tunnel at Whittier that is real narrow...they put lights in it last I saw and it is at least not pitch black dark in it. I tend to YELL "rider coming north/south" as I enter and ride thru tunnel so to make oncoming traffic aware of my presence.
Old 03-12-17, 02:31 PM
TGT1

Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
That area is patrolled by Industry Sheriffs and I'm sure the tunnel under Colima is closed for a few reasons, probably including homeless/crime management, reducing maintenance costs, and lack of use. You simply don't see equestrians using the trail at all, at least not in my experience. If you want to ride further from the park-- I still think of it as Otterbein Park, on the grounds it is hard to justify renaming anything for a living pol-- I'd exit the park instead of going under Albatross and make my way on Colima to Stoner Creek, where you can catch the trail as it goes under the 60 FWY.

Regarding the tunnel under the tracks, take a drive over there and see. Lots of nice places to grab a meal around Rowland Heights. But I would not be shocked if it was closed as well.
Rode the section from Amar to Valley today. It's a quite pleasant cindered path that follows Lemon Creek.

The tunnel isn't gated off or occupied, but is blocked by a large dead tree, brush, a shopping cart and some large chunks of Styrofoam deposited by the heavy rains this year. There's no access to detour at Lemon across Valley and from the county map the only other access point is clear at the other end of that section.

ended up taking Lemon to Golden Springs to Fullerton Road and then cutting across at Powder Canyon to get back to the trail.
Old 03-16-17, 03:23 PM
stockae92

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking about riding it northbound this weekend, hopefully the road is clean and clear.
Old 03-16-17, 09:43 PM
TGT1

It will be clean, but start early.

You'll have an 8mph headwind headed back south from about 11:00 on according to Windytv
Old 03-17-17, 08:04 AM
hsuehhwa

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stockae92
Thinking about riding it northbound this weekend, hopefully the road is clean and clear.

There is a big ride event this weekend. I would avoid.
Tour de Sewer
Old 03-17-17, 01:11 PM
stockae92

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuehhwa
There is a big ride event this weekend. I would avoid.
Tour de Sewer
Thanks for the info
Old 03-20-17, 11:32 AM
stockae92

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up riding it on Sat. The "traffic" wasn't bad. But I started late, I got on the trail at about 11:30AM.
Old 12-05-17, 11:40 AM
mave12ick

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any groups that meet in Baldwin Park or anywhere close to sante fe dam to ride this trail?
Old 08-27-18, 12:32 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A buddy of mine rode the SG trail about 2 weeks ago. Usually rides with a small group of 3. This time his friends couldn't make it so he went off alone, Mistake! 3 guys jumped him and tried to take his FOCUS bike. He somehow managed to fight them off but his bike was slightly damaged. Luckily no weapons were used in the attack.

Rather small guy so I think he was a good target. Not to discriminate but being a larger rider, maybe I am not a prime target but a smaller rider of 150 lbs, 5/5 is a better bet to thieves. Being a larger rider, never had problems. But then again, maybe my bike sucks ha ha!

Keep your eyes open out there! Not sure of the exact area as he posted pics on FB but seemed to be more the street views waiting for cops while bloodied.
Old 08-27-18, 06:00 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
See if you can get some pics and post them here, would you? I'm interested in seeing where it was. There's a stretch just north of the golf course that passes along a bunch of neighborhoods and there are usually people out walking, fishing, smoking pot and what have you.

I just rode it from Whittier down to seal beach and back on Saturday - no issues. Not even a hint of an issue. No homeless, no thugs, just a dude that freaked me out a little when he passed me too close on one of those little kickers after an underpass.
Old 08-27-18, 07:43 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts
+1

Please post the location once it is known.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.