Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Join (and help?) me as I search Craigslist for my first mountain bike (<$300)

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 06-11-18, 06:21 PM
NYNJrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey all, new here (obviously).

haven't had a bike since maybe 16. living in NJ and NY, i have ridden a bunch of beach cruisers and such since but now it's time to splash out for my own.

what i am hoping to find is a versatile bike that can handle street/urban just as well as some basic trails native to NY and NJ all for <$300.

my preliminary search has led me to the following brands:
  • Specialized
  • Trek
  • Giant
the thing is, i really have no idea what i am looking for/at. i would have no idea if a bike was in otherwise crap condition and just shined up nice.

i also don't really know my size - i probably should get professional fitted but i am just super busy of late. i am 5'11 with ~30" inseam which seems to put me in the realm of ~17-19" frame.

i plan on using this thread to post my finds, gather your input and advice and buy something within the next couple weeks.

i hope you enjoy my journey.
Old 06-11-18, 06:48 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Measure you public bone height and point us to your local craigslist.

Old 06-14-18, 12:11 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
$300 for a Giant, Trek or Specialized is going to get you junk or something really old and outdated.

You need to increase your budget to around $1000.

$300 is your run of the mill Walmart Bike.
Old 06-14-18, 07:59 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts

Originally Posted by prj71
$300 for a Giant, Trek or Specialized is going to get you junk or something really old and outdated.
You need to increase your budget to around $1000.
$300 is your run of the mill Walmart Bike.
Just be patient. $300 picked me up this less then a year old Trek a couple weeks ago. Good workable bike.
Old 06-15-18, 12:01 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^Nice bike for 3 bills though looks like a marlin starting at $450 to begin with.

Ride it, shift through the gears make sure they work smoothly or smooth enough. make sure the tires aren't dried out cracked and old. People may not even tell you the year of the bike but can deduce by the paint job and probably serial number. All have a $400-500 entry level you can get a used fairly new one of for under 300 or much older $1000 bike for under $300 maybe. MTB could take damage so look for bent frames or wheels/ spokes. Check the crank for cracks misalignment or something should notice that pedaling but check for damage or cracks that may not effect the pedaling. I'm sure there are bike buying guides. In terms of damage I'd also look for jacked up handlebars, not straight, loose. I've heard people have had problems turning so make sure it feels right while riding. Wheels obviously should not wobble and should spin straight. Try to bring someone more experienced with you and research prospective bikes online to make sure it wasn't a cheapo discount bike or something. And be aware its not a kids bike before you waste time going to look at it.
Old 06-15-18, 10:06 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
^^^Nice bike for 3 bills though looks like a marlin starting at $450 to begin with.
The Marlin 5’s are $525 or so. This one had a bunch of upgraded Race face parts, and the fresh pro shop tuneup. I figure 1/3 off the new price for an eight month old bike that was immaculate was a pretty darn good deal! It did include a Valentino Rossi sticker. Ok by me, a favorite MotoGp rider!