Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best options to clean gunk, grease etc from all parts and bike frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Best options to clean gunk, grease etc from all parts and bike frame?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 05:44 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Blackjack Tar and Asphalt remover works well. It's pretty safe stuff, too.
https://www.truevalue.com/asphalt-tar-remover-23-oz

They sell it at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

I also use WD-40.
Old 01-06-20, 05:59 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
As an apartment dweller I usually start with Armor-All wipes which do a good job on the frame and components, If I am doing a rebuild the components go in the sonic cleaner with either dish soap or simple green, Elbow grease helps too
Old 01-06-20, 11:25 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
WD 40 works great to clean the whole bike as it is kind to paint and all sorts of materials.
Just remove or avoid your brake pads when using it.
Some mentioned Simple Green, but it is known to attack aluminum, if you leave it on too long, so I think It would be prudent to just avoid using it.....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 01-07-20, 10:32 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
WD 40 works great to clean the whole bike as it is kind to paint and all sorts of materials.
Just remove or avoid your brake pads when using it....
This will sound strange, but back in 1981 I discovered an un-intuitive aid to my Fuji S-12-S's weak braking action (discovered by accident).

For whatever reason, my bike's brake pads gripped the Weinmann rims poorly, like "dried-out" old pads, except mine were only a couple of years old.

After using some WD40 on some part of the bike, getting some on the rim accidentally and wiping it off, I briefly enjoyed strong braking!
From then on, when working on the bike, I would wipe down both rim's braking surfaces with WD40, leaving only a trace, for that new-bike feel that comes with grippy pads.
Old 01-07-20, 11:12 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Zep Orange degreaser works wonderfully , smells good and is not as nasty as other degreasers
Old 01-07-20, 11:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Dawn and warm water to knock off the worst dirt. I'll clean the whole bike first, then detail the remaining stubborn places.

LA's Totally Awesome grill and oven cleaner. It's a pump spray, not compress aerosol. Just a degreaser comparable to many "green" products, not a caustic soda like aerosol cans of oven cleaner. Costs a whole dollar for a quart at Dollartree. Sometimes the pump mechanism wears out before the bottle is empty. Even works okay on chains I'm prepping for dipping in melted paraffin/wax.

Isopropyl alcohol for minor oil or grease residue on rims, frames, etc. Or periodically wiping the chainrings between full cleanings. Works fine, available everywhere.

I'm in an apartment now so I try to avoid the solvents I normally used when I had a rural home and work shed. I tried the "safe" mineral spirits once. The stuff is ridiculous, some kind of thick, whitish soapy stuff that doesn't clean well and makes its own mess.