Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Seattle Cycles Burke

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Seattle Cycles Burke

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 12:24 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightdiver
Lynskey.
Thanks
Old 01-29-20, 03:21 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Bostonwheeler
That's the main issue with the Burke. Can't be too many people willing to spend such big bucks on a folder, regardless of how well made it is. My full size titanium Litespeed didn't cost me nearly as much as that Burke is selling for.
In fact, the frame of a folder is much more complex and much more expensive to build than a classic diamond frame: much more tubes to cut, shape and assemble, frame made of several parts...

And there are also proprietary expensive components to manufacture and assemble.

So its normal that the Burke made in US by Lynskey is more expensive than a Litespeed which is also US made.
Old 01-29-20, 05:03 PM
Bostonwheeler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
In fact, the frame of a folder is much more complex and much more expensive to build than a classic diamond frame: much more tubes to cut, shape and assemble, frame made of several parts...

And there are also proprietary expensive components to manufacture and assemble.

So its normal that the Burke made in US by Lynskey is more expensive than a Litespeed which is also US made.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, as the Burke frame is indeed much more complex than that of my Litespeed.

But my point wasn't whether or not the cost of a Burke was justifiable for the seller. It was that there are probably very few buyers willing to pay the price for such a bike.
Old 01-30-20, 12:50 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Yes, the demand for expensive folder or any small wheel bike is limited in Europe and the US.

But there is demand in Japan and Asia. They like small wheel bikes.

Moulton for instance is selling a lot of their very expensive high end models in Japan.

Tyrell has also several very expensive small wheel models.

Seattle Cycles should try to sell the Burke in Japan.
Old 01-30-20, 06:16 AM
Bostonwheeler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
Yes, the demand for expensive folder or any small wheel bike is limited in Europe and the US.

But there is demand in Japan and Asia. They like small wheel bikes.

Moulton for instance is selling a lot of their very expensive high end models in Japan.

Tyrell has also several very expensive small wheel models.

Seattle Cycles should try to sell the Burke in Japan.
That's a great idea. In Japan (and much of Asia), the homes and apartments are typically quite small and storage space is at a premium.
Old 01-30-20, 12:51 PM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pahana
Not all carbon fiber is alike. There's cheap carbon and high quality. I'll take Ti over carbon fiber any day. I remember a guy telling me how great his carbon fiber bike is and then told me that the frame cracked on a ride and he walked home. That guy will be riding that Burke 20 years from now. Good luck riding carbon for 20 years. I own a BMC and Felt carbon fiber bikes and I'll can't imagine riding them 10 years from now.
The bike I rode must have been $ 7000 or more. I've seen the crank online for over $1000. Everything was the best. I asked if the bike weighed about 17 lbs. and he said 18. If he told me 15 lbs I would have believed him. This is an American made bike. I'm not going to get into difference between imports and American made but I know I feel better buying from my fellow citizens.
FYI, good carbon supposedly has no fatigue life so should outlast even titanium. No ti frame would be rideable at minute 5:10 of this
There will soon be cf/steel woven frames that are closer to indestructable. https://bikerumor.com/2020/01/28/mus...rein4ced-tech/
Newer airplanes like the 777-787 have carbon bodies and wings that flex meters in flight. The old aluminum B52 has been flying for 50 years so its possible 777s will be flying next century.
Old 01-31-20, 10:58 AM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Pahana
Yesterday I was riding around and stopped by PortaPedal in Tempe AZ. When I went inside there was a guy talking to Al the owner with a Burke. We got friendly and he only wanted me to try his bike. I never asked to try the shop in stock model because I knew I wasn't going to buy one and wanted to keep the bike looking new. After he asked me like 3 or 4 times to take out the bike I said alright. I figured that this bike was just an over priced beautiful toy and no big deal. I admit to being very wrong about my prejudices about this bike. I've tried 3 Bike Fridays 2 Moultons owned a Tern X10 and still have 2 Bromptons a Dahon and a CarryMe. This bike was at a different level than all the folding bikes I've rode before. This bike was so solid and fast you wouldn't know you were riding a folding bike. I put this out there for anyone thinking of buying a Burke. I admit to feeling a little less enthusiastic about my Bromptons after that ride. If I had the money to burn on a Burke I'd go for it. I can't stress how solid a ride the bike felt underneath me. As I told him it felt like a full size road bike and better than most.
That Burke truly is a marvelous piece of engineering not only from a functional/aesthetic viewpoint but my attention is also drawn towards the small details with special regards to packing, eg. custom foam padding to shield components and internal luggage supports. Tres cool!

Instructions ? Seattle Cycles

It's certainly appealing to me in many other respects if it simply wasn’t for the price point. Just my thoughts, FWIW. FYI, that's well over 6700 Cdn.loonies of lovingly handcrafted space age material!