Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Gasification woodgas cook stove

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Gasification woodgas cook stove

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 04:58 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Hoaglund
Forgot my hot soaped pot turned black but water rung rinse cloth took most of it off. Now to invest in a scrub pad and Fast Orange hand cleaner with pumice. Its to bad about the white gas winter stove trouble but its warming up on the positive side. I don't recall my Coleman 533 Dual Fuel with winter blended gasoline being troublesome.
I'm guessing the pump cup wasn't flexible enough in the cold temps. (I have to pressurize the stove before lighting by pumping a little air pressure into it.) I'm wondering if buying a new pump cup might help. It's a vintage Coleman Peak 1. I saw you could buy replacement leather cups for it. It has a rubber cup in it right now.
Old 05-09-20, 08:49 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Wish I could be more helpful, this says https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ne...p-1003303.html This is a genuine OEM Coleman pump cup used with gas lanterns. This neoprene rubber part is used inside the air pump. The pump plunger fits through the hole in this pump cup, which then fits inside the pump itself. The pump cup is designed to be coated in Pump Lube so that it can effectively create a seal inside the pump, preventing air leaks. Pump Lube is sold as part # 200K2251. This part is sold individually.

Lookup the website Pump Lube part number which mentions neetfoot animal oil.
Old 05-09-20, 10:57 PM
Mark Hoaglund

After some thought my Coleman 533 Dual Fuel with winter blended unleaded gasoline had 10% Ethanol from the Exxon Mobil station with winter snow & ice cooking stew under the moon, street and star lights but don't recollect temps. Still want a $70 Coleman 533 Dual Fuel in my collective gatherings. Only had it a year before disappearing so don't know how the ethanol blend reacted to the metallurgy. For now low cost jelly balls and wood will do.
Old 05-12-20, 09:10 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I have to say that it looks like you guys are having better luck than I did at getting a decent burn. It still has the sooty pot issue, but I could see someone deciding they could live with that.

Two things to at least consider:
1. I think it would need to be really thoroughly cleaned to make it through a TSA check or else it would be confiscated. My alcohol stoves have always breezed right through TSA with no cleaning, but would be easy to replace one if confiscated and starting each tour with a new one wouldn't be much trouble if you were paranoid.
2. I am pretty sure a wood gasification stove would not be allowed during fire bans where stoves are required (typically an off switch is a requirement). My alcohol stoves don't meet those requirements either.
Old 05-12-20, 09:18 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Having only packed dehydrated food that could not be eaten uncooked, he was jazzed about using the pop can alcohol stove he made but could not get it to work. I was able to boil the water from this lake.
That had to suck!
I can't imagine a pop can stove being anything but reliable if properly made other than maybe in super cold weather. Once tested you should know whether it works. Was it never tested at home?
I guess they don't handle big pots of stuff, like for a group, but cooking in smaller batches might have solved even that.

Last edited by staehpj1; 05-12-20 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-12-20, 11:55 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
That had to suck!
I can't imagine a pop can stove being anything but reliable if properly made other than maybe in super cold weather. Once tested you should know whether it works. Was it never tested at home?
I guess they don't handle big pots of stuff, like for a group, but cooking in smaller batches might have solved even that.
I think it was a combination of not being tested enough and it being very windy. I don't think he could get it to pre burn long enough.

That was a good learning trip as he also wanted to use a hammock but went ultralight and had no bottom quilt. Even in the summer, the Canadian mountains can be cold at night and he suffered a bit because of it.

But... those things make for better storytelling. We were riding during massive forest fire outbreaks and the smoke blotted out the sun. We camped on open range and I was afraid the cows would step on me in my bivi sac and I was accosted by a big bull on my way to the biffy. The next day we rode 275 km's, from 7am until 12:30am.

It wad a sufferfest but fondly remembered.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-12-20 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-12-20, 02:46 PM
staehpj1

I think it was a combination of not being tested enough and it being very windy. I don't think he could get it to pre burn long enough.

That was a good learning trip as he also wanted to use a hammock but went ultralight and had no bottom quilt. Even in the summer, the Canadian mountains can be cold at night and he suffered a bit because of it.

But... those things make for better storytelling. We were riding during massive forest fire outbreaks and the smoke blotted out the sun. We camped on open range and I was afraid the cows would step on me in my bivi sac and I was accosted by a big bull on my way to the biffy. The next day we rode 275 km's, from 7am until 12:30am.

It wad a sufferfest but fondly remembered.
Ah, wind... Yeah, you need a decent wind screen. Whether a dedicated one or an improvised one, when the wind kicks up you need one.

Those do tend to be the most memorable trips. Some of the biggest suffer fests can actually wind up fondly remembered (much) later.
Old 05-23-20, 07:32 AM
Mark Hoaglund

Why would you actively encourage $32 gallon methanol HEET per US gallon PLUS TAX at $3 a 12 oz bottle just because a pop can is lighter and you've got deep pockets so lets go down that rabbit hole??? E85 & gasoline is $2 a US gallon and 8 cents a petroleum jelly cotton ball with free wood roadside. If your morbidly obese they're lower cost alternatives that make cents, otherwise who cares, go ahead and brag if your wealthy.
Old 05-23-20, 08:10 PM
Happy Feet

Morbidly obese... huh?
Old 05-23-20, 11:28 PM
Mark Hoaglund

I suppose the next update should include wet rainy weather wood for your amusement started with a petroleum jelly cotton ball or maybe jelly coated wax paper. I plan to pat dry the soaked wood under a shelter which seems reasonable. You wouldn't mix methanol HEET with water but could to a point anyone seen any YT demonstrations?
Old 05-23-20, 11:40 PM
Happy Feet

What will you pat it dry with?
Old 05-24-20, 12:10 AM
Mark Hoaglund

What will you pat it dry with?
Hows cloth or shirt sound? Oh yea, I pay attention to .google.com/search?q=tit+for+tat+politics
Old 05-24-20, 05:16 AM
staehpj1

Why would you actively encourage $32 gallon methanol HEET per US gallon PLUS TAX at $3 a 12 oz bottle just because a pop can is lighter and you've got deep pockets so lets go down that rabbit hole??? E85 & gasoline is $2 a US gallon and 8 cents a petroleum jelly cotton ball with free wood roadside. If your morbidly obese they're lower cost alternatives that make cents, otherwise who cares, go ahead and brag if your wealthy.
Yellow Heet has one big advantage over many other fuels in that I can buy it what I consider reasonable quantities for carrying. The 12 ounce bottle lasts a reasonable amount of time . Usage is low enough that I am not going to worry too much over the cost per gallon.

Gasoline was generally $3-4 when I was on most of the tours where I used the alcohol burner so, yes it would have been much cheaper per gallon. It too has disadvantages though. Flying with the stove is one (cleaning stove and bottle well enough for the TSA not to confiscate). Dealing with getting gasoline in tiny quantities into a fuel bottle is another. Dealing with smelly fuel another. And some folks worry about the health issues of burning fuel with the additives in gasoline. How did the cost hit of yellow Heet stack up against the disadvantages for me on my tours? Well the tours where I used yellow Heet ranged between nine days and a month or a bit more and I used between one and three bottles per tour. On the shorter tours it is a slam dunk that I wouldn't find it worth dealing with a gasoline stove and the TSA to save $12. On the longer ones $36 starts to look more tempting, but when I factor in the other inconveniences I'd still lean toward the pop can stove.

Is it bragging about being rich that I'd rather spend a buck a day on fuel than deal with dribbling gasoline into a fuel bottle, smelling gasoline, washing out a stove and fuel bottle for the TSA, and still worrying about my $$$ stove being confiscated? Note that if we take the TSA out of the equation and I don't need to scrub the stove well enough to avoid it being confiscated and maybe risk confiscation even after it is scrubbed pretty well, then I'd take my multi fuel MSR International.

BTW, I don't agree with the implication that watching gear weight comes only after losing excess body weight. Gear weight reduction can be immediate, easy, permanent, and painless. Adjusting your BMI to a healthy level has huge benefits and obviously should be done if needed. That said it takes time and can be difficult for most people, while reduced gear weight is easy and can be enjoyed while working on the BMI. A light load is beneficial whether you are thin or fat. FWIW, I have toured at a variety of BMIs and found that when I was more overweight I appreciated a light gear load even more than when I was lighter and more fit, but a relatively unladen bike was always a joy to ride IMO.

BTW, the notion that a few ounces or gear here and there doesn't matter because you have quite a few pounds of body weight to lose isn't a good argument IMO. It is a little like saying you shouldn't oil your chain or adjust your derailleurs, because your tires are not at the proper pressure when obviously you should work on all of them. A few ounces of gear here and there add up to pounds and tens of pounds and that makes a difference whether you are fat or fit.

Folks do get to make their own choices on all of this though. Body weight, gear weight, fuel choice, whatever. Hopefully their choices add up to happy touring at whatever weights and fuels they choose.
Old 05-24-20, 08:25 AM
Happy Feet

Mark, It's great that you have a wood stove and are enjoying learning how to cook with it... but you really don't need to insult others because they are reflecting some of the realities of stove use while bike touring. To each their own but after a while people discover some stuff.

No one is seriously going to use their touring clothes to dry wet fire wood as a strategy on a bike tour.

And as noted in the post above, in many places you can't roll up to a gas pump on a bicycle and put a few cents of gas in a little bottle. I don't know about the US but in Canada there are rules about containers. Yes, you can hope to sneak some when no one is looking, or convince the attendant to look the other way, but that's a poor food fuel strategy.

Have fun with your project, but why argue with people who have toured and are offering real world insights. When you do your own tours you will have those insights too.
Old 05-24-20, 12:12 PM
Mark Hoaglund

I don't know about insulting folks on this list. Am I to understand you have adequate disposable income for your needs and I'm a loose canon? I've allows been fond of Canon in D compositions.

The only rule I've heard is paint gasoline containers red and the red funnel comes with the Coleman 533 Dual Fuel stove unless things have changed.
Old 05-24-20, 03:29 PM
staehpj1

The only rule I've heard is paint gasoline containers red and the red funnel comes with the Coleman 533 Dual Fuel stove unless things have changed.
I read what I could find on the topic and there is usually a reference to using an "approved container". I have no idea what agency would approve it or if there even is a standard and it is a fairly safe bet that the guy working at most gas stations and mini marts doesn't either so I'd be okay with just using a backpacking fuel bottle and keeping a low profile and getting in and out before anyone takes much notice of me.

That said, if you catch the wrong guy on the wrong day there could potentially be a problem. Sadly your age or ethnicity are likely to be a factor here as well.

In practice I have only used the gasoline stove for backpacking, canoe camping, and other non-bicycle related use. I expect to use it for some tours in the future though..
Old 05-24-20, 10:06 PM
Mark Hoaglund

Years ago methanol HEET folks warned of absorption through the skin and impending dangers so I went with outdoor wood and gasoline cook stoves for year round above & below freezing water temperatures.
Old 05-25-20, 04:12 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I admit to think sooty pot is PITA but in all honesty (depending in where you camp) it is pretty easy to clean without any chemicals. All you need to do is to rub the pot with ground grit / sand and introduce water as necessary

with sand and beach camping I find I can clean my pot better than at home

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
One more quick point -

For sooty pots - use Fast Orange hand cleaner with pumice on the soot.

Apply a generous coat of it, work it around the sooty areas (don't scrub), and let it sit for about 45 minutes. Then start working the scrubbing with your fingers and a real little amount of water just to freshen up the liquid a bit (a few drops should be all you need). The soot and grime should come off fairly easily. Once you have scrubbed it pretty good then go ahead and start rising with a bit of flowing water.

There may be orange spots that end up stuck there that you just can't get out. I wouldn't worry about them. The main thing is to get the black stuff off that can turn everything else you are carrying black.
Old 05-25-20, 05:12 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I admit to think sooty pot is PITA but in all honesty (depending in where you camp) it is pretty easy to clean without any chemicals. All you need to do is to rub the pot with ground grit / sand and introduce water as necessary

with sand and beach camping I find I can clean my pot better than at home
I could see that varying pretty widely depending on where you are. I know that I have occasionally camped in places where I only had the water I carried for the previous 60-80 miles and didn't want to have to wash pots at all. I guess that you could still deal with it by just carefully segregating the sooty stuff from your other gear, but I don't see getting stuff clean on site in those camps. FWIW, I don't even wash the inside of the pots until the next day somewhere down the road if I actually do more than boil water.

That all can be addressed by taking the stove type that suits the trip/locale or by putting up with the inconveniences where necessary, but for some of us there would be times where cleaning up the soot really wouldn't be an option so it would be a matter of containing it and living with it. That may or may not be acceptable depending on how willing to deal with it you are.
Old 05-25-20, 05:22 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
One more quick point -

For sooty pots - use Fast Orange hand cleaner with pumice on the soot.

Apply a generous coat of it, work it around the sooty areas (don't scrub), and let it sit for about 45 minutes. Then start working the scrubbing with your fingers and a real little amount of water just to freshen up the liquid a bit (a few drops should be all you need). The soot and grime should come off fairly easily. Once you have scrubbed it pretty good then go ahead and start rising with a bit of flowing water.

There may be orange spots that end up stuck there that you just can't get out. I wouldn't worry about them. The main thing is to get the black stuff off that can turn everything else you are carrying black.
Sounds like quite a bit of time and a lot of trouble to do in camp on tour, particularly before breaking camp in the morning. I for one spend way less than 45 minutes breaking camp and like to hit the road fast and early. If I do have a hot beverage or some instant oatmeal in the morning I take more than my usual 15 minutes to break camp, but for me adding 45+ minutes to clean a pot wouldn't be acceptable. I may be weird in my quick departures though.
Old 05-25-20, 09:02 AM
Happy Feet

I think it just comes down to knowing your destination/locale and what will work or not. Every cooking system has its pros and cons. You need to buy butane/propane cartridges but they are bombproof, certain fuels can be a pita to fly with, wood fires can be messy or banned.

In general I subscribe to the KISS principle so any system that called for a lot of prep work would probably get old fast unless the tour itself allowed a lot of time for sitting around doing stuff. Usually the focus of my tours is riding so I want something quick and reliable but I have also dabbled in mountain man type skills and can make fire with char cloth and flint if I want to. Collect some moss during the day or keeping a small amount of dryer lint in your leather pouch.

How to make char cloth:

Find an old shoe polish tin, a large one works best. Poke a hole in the top with a nail.
Cut an old cotton bed sheet or T shirt into 2" squares. Stack and place in tin.
Seal the tin and place in the fire (so you can pull it out again).
When the tin starts smoking out the hole, pull it from the fire and put the nail in the hole to cut off the air supply.
Let it cool.

Inside will be char cloth. Keep it in the tin and when you need to make a fire, catch sparks from your flint onto one of the squares. If one lands it will smoulder and catch fire.
When you run low of cloth, repeat the making process. After getting a demo at Fort Lewis WA during a Jamboree, for a while all our scouts cooked using this method.
Old 05-26-20, 07:58 AM
Mark Hoaglund

After 3 days of rain did a wet woodgas burn. Had a nice buena vista lake to gaze at this morning. In between the raindrops gathered wood. Started the fire with one jelly ball lied upon a bed of twigs and below branches. Heated soup & coffee. Twice as many ashes with wet wood and a half hour burn.

Lots of trucks driving around the park and one dog walker. Walked uphill all the way without a rest so the past 2 months of exerciser is paying off. Used Dawn dish soap which seems to work better. Have to try beach sand next time. Haven't tried a underwater fire but seen YT videos.

Next time I'll melt petroleum jelly in rinsed soup can and make a mess of jelly balls for my zip lock baggy. Should I wrap them in wax paper to limit the greasy fingers? Presto, waterproof fire starters with a twist. Isn't YT wonderful?
Old 05-26-20, 08:43 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Teignmouth Electron.............

Learn from those who have gone before..
Old 05-26-20, 08:50 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
But seriously, a worthwhile tangent might be:

What kind of forest service approved fire box would be a reasonable luxury item to bring along,
allowing a small campfire to be safely lit for entertainment purposes and or smores?

Last edited by bark_eater; 05-26-20 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-26-20, 03:18 PM
Mark Hoaglund

I'll try the Fast Orange method along the way.

Didn't mention the softwoods were deciduous branches and conifer twigs avoiding mud & water puddles while noticing the white steam rising. No patting wood dry with a t-shirt, sipping tomato soup without crackers & lite black coffee for breakfast. Its cloudy and just started raining again while comfortable in the mid to upper 70s F today.
Likes For Mark Hoaglund:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.