Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Getting rid of my MTB in favor of a cyclocross or gravel bike. Advice?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 01:09 PM
NYNJrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

right now i am working with a tight budget. thinking < $1000 all-in. this has me perusing both CL and FB Marketplace as well as some of the cheaper retailers.

it's led to me to a few affordable options that i would appreciate feedback on:

Marin Nicasio

Marin Gestalt

thoughts on the above and/or any other models to look at? should i keep hoping a used gem pops up?

thanks!
Old 03-18-20, 02:11 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Salsa Journeyman has been a great bike. Comes in at the top end of your budget. Surprisingly nice ride quality, versatile setup, and decent parts buildup. Upgrade things as needed, but I've got about 6000 miles on mine, which is being used as a rain/winter commuter and gravel bike, and have only upgraded the crankset (personal preference) to GRX, and the disc calipers just this last week, as the rear made it through two winters of slop before giving up the ghost. If you're looking at brand new bike options, the Journeyman has been a good value and durable bike, in my opinion.

Last edited by SalsaShark; 03-18-20 at 02:16 PM.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 03-18-20, 02:32 PM
NYNJrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks. i forgot to add the Journeyman to my list. it's definitely on there. think the list is shaping up as such:

Marin Nicasio
Kona Rove
Salsa Journeyman
Old 03-18-20, 02:37 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
Had a buddy snag a Trek checkpoint alr4 for about $1100 last spring. I think he may have gotten lucky, I haven't really seen much used "gravel" bikes.
Old 03-18-20, 02:51 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
... I haven't really seen much used "gravel" bikes.
Gravel is a bit too new to have many used bikes. I started off with a used cross bike, and that worked well. There is not a "huge" difference between a CX and gravel (unless you like to bomb fast down hill on a long low slack bike). The problem there is many older CX bikes can't fit anything larger than 35mm tires (new CX bikes can).
Old 03-19-20, 04:15 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
If you can conjur up a few more $, the Kona Rove ST is hard to beat - you might find a sale.
I also rented a Rove NRB while on a trip last year, and it was very nice, same super comfy fit, playful ride - I'm just a steel guy and prefer 1x.
I got rid of my mountain bike too. I ride my Rove ST like a mountain bike (and a road bike, and . . . . ).
Old 03-19-20, 05:47 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Jamis Renegade A1 is another that will leave you with some change in your pocket after tax, and is a great choice to look at side by side with the Salsa Journeyman.
Old 03-20-20, 11:01 AM
NYNJrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
think i'm going with a used 2018 Kona Rove NRB. seller wants $900 + $50 shipping.

any reason not to?
Old 03-23-20, 06:16 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Why do you want to change your MTB for a gravel bike, I have both but found very little advantage of the gravel bike over the MTB which is probably a better all rounder.
Likes For Witterings:
Old 03-26-20, 07:25 AM
Wissahickon2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What MTB do you currently have? Chances are you might be able to get it to act more like a "gravel" bike with a few small changes, such as tires. Personally, I like the older mountain bikes, which can be very good at many things, depending on components and some thought. Good luck!
Likes For Wissahickon2: