Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which Cobb saddle best for me?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-20, 01:57 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts

Trek 800 Sport used almost exclusively on road. Current seat (which is super comfortable, even after miles and miles) is a thrift store "Mammoth" saddle. 165mm at the rear with shallow "man bits" channel. But, it is starting to seperate at seams, small tear, and the bars bend over time (whaddaya want for a few bucks, eh?). So I feel ready to do better....

Which Cobb seat is best for my application? I'm looking at the Randee, DRT, Max and Plus.

Merci Beaucoup!

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 04-01-20 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 04:41 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Sorry for deflecting, but why a Cobb. Cobb's target is experienced riders who want to maximize performance by trying something very different.

I suggest taking your bike to your local shop, telling them what you're after, and taking some recommendations and suggestions. There are plenty of excellent saddles to meet many needs by Specialized, Bontrager (Trek), Selle Italia, Selle San Marco, WTB, . . . Many with 30-day satisfaction guarantees.
Old 04-01-20, 05:07 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
It is virtually impossible for someone else to suggest a saddle which will suit you; everyone's needs and posterior are different. By far the best is to follow oldbobcat's advice and see and feel them for yourself.
Old 04-01-20, 07:44 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I'd second the point about Cobb. Some people love 'em, but the saddles you mention are in the $200 range. Perhaps check some saddles out at the LBS - and get a satisfaction or your money back deal.
Old 04-01-20, 08:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have a Cobb saddle, the V-Flow, their original design. It's okay but nothing special. If I'd paid full price I'd have been disappointed, but it came with a used entry level Trek tri-bike that I only got to scavenge for the components. When I'm on the aero bars or tucked as low as I can get on the drop bars, the Cobb V-Flow doesn't feel any more comfortable than my Selle Q-Bik or Bontrager Ajna with pressure relief cutouts. The Selle Q-Bik is made pretty much like the Cobb V-Flow and Delta saddles with full length noses and cutouts. No big difference. The Q-Bik is discontinued but may still be found as unsold old stock for around $20 -- that's what I paid at Nashbar a couple of years ago.

If I planned to pay $100 or more for a specialized saddle I'd go with an ISM noseless or split-nose saddle. Phil Gaimon likes 'em, and not just because they're a sponsor -- I think he got the ISM saddle first for comfort after he left the pro ranks and could choose any saddle he wanted. The sponsorship came later after he set up his "Worst Retirement Ever" gig on YouTube.
Old 04-02-20, 06:58 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Your current seat is "super comfortable, even after miles and miles". That is something special that many riders have spent years searching for, usually filling boxes with cast off misfit saddles they have tried and rejected after lots of time, effort and discomfort. If it was me, I would try my best to find a saddle that is as close to identical to your current saddle as you can find. If you’re successful, buy two more for inventory.
Old 04-06-20, 02:50 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Thank you for your best advice! Made an exec decision on the Randee and will spend $25 from a bike program prize and $6 out of my pocket. Happy Birthday to me! (One month early )

ShopGoodWill.com
Tyler, TX store apparently received boxes of new old stock and are selling Buy it Now, from $20 to $35, plus ship/handling/tax.
Old 04-12-20, 08:00 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Happy with the Randee. Took a couple of rides to dial in (hooray for the long rails!).
Barely notice it's there after 20 miles
​​​​​
Old 04-12-20, 09:58 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Cobb saddles are like any other saddle, if you're comfortable riding on one than buy it, shops that carry that brand have a lime green test version they'll let you take home and you can ride it for a couple of weeks, don't like it try another test version. Also on Jcob (they changed their name to that) site they have a selection guide so you can find your idea saddle better, but after finding the right one or two get a sample saddle to ride. Like any saddle brand you may or may not find yourself comfortable with it, if not then try another. Also make sure you get your sit bones measured, and explain to any bike shop what your discomfort problems are.