Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Continental tire conundrum.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Continental tire conundrum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 08:38 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I am a big fan of Conti Tires. They have served me well, despite some being stored in an attic and some in a garage. There is something to this Conti tire sidewall splitting issue. I have read enough different credible reports of this all across social media to believe it's true. At the same time, save for a very rare report, I am not seeing other manufacturers having this issue.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-27-20, 10:02 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
So why have my other bike tires, some of which are years older, not done this? ONLY the Continentals purchased in the last couple years are doing this.

I'll be keeping the refrigerator, we use it a LOT.

I had a similar issue, but it was Michelin Pro3 tires that fell apart and not others. It was closest to the refrigerator.
Old 04-27-20, 02:58 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I had a similar issue, but it was Michelin Pro3 tires that fell apart and not others. It was closest to the refrigerator.
The first set that did this was on a bike stored in an out building that doesn't have electricity in it along with about 20 other bikes, none of which have splits in the tires and some have tires that are 6 or 7 years old including 2 with older Contis. The bikes in the garage with the refrigerator weren't the closest ones to the refrigerator and the splits developed over the Winter months, the refrigerator doesn't even run if outside temps get below about 40 degrees. If refrigerators were the problem you'd think most of the rubber items in your kitchen would be falling apart. My money is on a change in the tire compounds. It's only my larger Contis too, 2 sets of 700 X 47 Tour Rides and a set of 26 X 2.1 Town and Country. My Conti road bike tires seem to be OK....... so far.
Old 04-27-20, 03:58 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
The first set that did this was on a bike stored in an out building that doesn't have electricity in it along with about 20 other bikes, none of which have splits in the tires and some have tires that are 6 or 7 years old including 2 with older Contis. The bikes in the garage with the refrigerator weren't the closest ones to the refrigerator and the splits developed over the Winter months, the refrigerator doesn't even run if outside temps get below about 40 degrees. If refrigerators were the problem you'd think most of the rubber items in your kitchen would be falling apart. My money is on a change in the tire compounds. It's only my larger Contis too, 2 sets of 700 X 47 Tour Rides and a set of 26 X 2.1 Town and Country. My Conti road bike tires seem to be OK....... so far.

Oh well- I can't help it if my theory doesn't fit the facts.
Old 08-12-20, 06:05 AM
Leyburn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Photo, tyre now replaced.

Old 08-13-20, 09:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
FWIW there are reinforcing mesh added in many of their better tires they call gatorskin, I have 2 47-559 (26 x 1.75 )
that were fitted on the wheels when the bike was built in 2004 .
(off he bike now, but were fine 4 years on.. now stored in a black plastic bag in the basement 10' from electric water-heater)
Old 08-13-20, 03:20 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Mine hadn't split there. I wish I'd taken pictures of the Tour Rides. I'll dig out the bike with the Town & Country tires this weekend and get a picture. Since my original post I had one set of Hutchinson tires do the same thing but they weren't even mounted, Zero miles but I've had them at least 3 or 4 years and they were on sale CHEAP from NASHBAR before the buyout sooooo............ I wasn't too shocked on them.

Originally Posted by Leyburn
Photo, tyre now replaced.