skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 960 Posts
Everything SART

There seems to be enough posts about the Santa Ana River Trail (even with the homeless situation resolved) so thought I'd start a thread for posting information on it. Post anything you see, experience, or anything else that might assist someone riding on it.

This morning ("dawn patrol") rode from PCH up to the 17th street footbridge and back. Fog for first two miles going inland from the coast, then clear inland for a beautiful morning ride. The gnats are out for their springtime morning mating flights. Plenty of them down in the Costa Mesa area below the 405 . . yuck! Glasses and a mask would be good choices if riding early and you don't want to inhale your daily protein allotment.
Old 04-25-20, 12:01 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
At the northern terminus, the trail is just <gone> from E St. to Mt. Vernon Ave in San Bernardino. Repairs slated to be completed in June, but who knows.

With the corona-related closures, Ryan Bonaminio Park and Mt. Rubidoux in Riverside are both closed (probably the most popular start point for people doing out-and-backs on the trial in the Inland Empire.

So the number of cyclists/runners on the SART has dropped dramatically, to the point where nature is trying to reclaim the trail in some places-- after just a month.

With the diminished trail use and what appears to be complete cessation of maintenance, the homeless population along the trail has increased noticeably.

Just east of Van Buren Ave in Riverside, there is a medieval town sized homeless encampment in the river basin. Luckily, the trail this far east sits atop a quite narrow levee, so the tent cities are down in the flood plain.
Old 05-01-20, 09:25 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 66 Posts
I'm in Huntington Beach and I often rode the SART to Katella and sometimes to Green River. I sure miss the good old days when I would stop at the Katella bathroom facilities and then proceed to Green River. Those were the days when it was pre-homeless. But still at Katella the homeless used it as their facilities. They even washed their clothes in that stainless steel basin and maybe even a quick bath.

Now, no more Katella. At the Beach the first bathroom stop, I would see Mr Beanz and his wife Gina. Does anyone ever see them around the SART or HB?
Old 05-01-20, 01:14 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Since the Katella restrooms are closed you could try using the ones inside the Amtrak station ( the silver domed building). I've done it before, the staff doesn't seem to mind as long as you don't look like a homeless person (FWIW: I've used the train to take my bicycle somewhere, so bicycles are not unusual inside the station). I haven't been up to the Katella/stadium area in about 6 months.

I'll have a look down at the beach this weekend to see what's open. That first restroom building at the south end of the SART is a popular stop for bicycles, and there were quite a few folks taking a break at it last Saturday morning. Huntington State Beach was allowing persons to cycle/jog/walk along the bikepath, and surf in the ocean, but no stopping, but it all might have changed with Gov Newsom's directive earlier this week.
Old 05-01-20, 06:54 PM
RandomlyWest

Bikes: 2021 Batch Mountain Bicycle, 1989 Schwinn Impact, 2018 Micargi Avant, 1985 Asahi 790, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2021 SE Lager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
So, of course, OC beaches are closed for the moment. That said, the south end of the SART is not. You can still exit the south end of the SART at the Santa Ana River mouth and do that little short spiraling uphill and connect to PCH. You can also still connect to the northbound SART where PCH crosses it, whether you are biking northbound or southbound on PCH.
Old 05-02-20, 12:06 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
I'm in Huntington Beach and I often rode the SART to Katella and sometimes to Green River. I sure miss the good old days when I would stop at the Katella bathroom facilities and then proceed to Green River. Those were the days when it was pre-homeless. But still at Katella the homeless used it as their facilities. They even washed their clothes in that stainless steel basin and maybe even a quick bath.Now, no more Katella. At the Beach the first bathroom stop, I would see Mr Beanz and his wife Gina. Does anyone ever see them around the SART or HB?
'Hard' closure at Huntington State Beach, as in concrete K-rail across the connector path onto the State Beach recreation path, so not even the restroom building is accessible. A park ranger was there enforcing the closure, too (they are state police officers so they have arrest authority). You can still ride the SART path under PCH and ride that small loop to connect to PCH or go down to Newport Beach.
Old 05-04-20, 06:52 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 32 Posts
I rode from Lakeview to the beach and back two Sundays ago; I won't do it again as it is too dangerous at least on weekends with walkers spread across the trail, what appeared to be new cyclists who couldn't ride a straight line and runners on both sides. This trail is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 05-05-20, 08:06 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts
Originally Posted by fastcarbon
I rode from Lakeview to the beach and back two Sundays ago; I won't do it again as it is too dangerous at least on weekends with walkers spread across the trail, what appeared to be new cyclists who couldn't ride a straight line and runners on both sides. This trail is an accident waiting to happen.
I'd be interested in hearing about any weekday experiences. I know all the trails are busier than usual with rookies wandering all around especially on the weekends. I'm about at my mileage where I'll be doing some SART rides soon and wonder what the weekdays are like.
Old 05-05-20, 08:11 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

With the beaches and boardwalk closed, I can only imagine that end of the SART just getting even busier.

Now the north end on a weekday? Same as it ever was. Just more dust and weeds.

Old 05-05-20, 08:45 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
I remember in the mid-1980's I read that one day the SART would be over 100 miles and span from Big Bear to NPB. How's that going?

Found this on a search dated 2018. Think I will dig in and see what the plans are relative to 2020?
Santa Ana River PARKWAY & OPEN SPACE PLAN Coastal Conservancy
https://scc.ca.gov/files/2018/06/SARPOSP_Plan_FINAL.pdf

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 05-05-20 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-05-20, 09:55 AM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Wild Wild West the past couple of weekends on the SART. Walkers, runners, skate boarders, electrical powered stuff take it over. Now, I wait till late afternoon during the week and weekends to go for a ride.
Old 05-05-20, 01:38 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Try riding it early in the morning. I do it on weekends at dawn, its minimally occupied and seems everyone on the trail at that time is aware of their surrounds.

But yeah, after about 9am, maybe as late as 10AM in winter, its a disaster. Gets really bad those last few miles before you get to the beach.
Old 05-05-20, 02:21 PM
Drk

Bikes: Old - Trek 970, Trek Pilot 5.0. New - Giant Explore 2.0 e-bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
SART San Bernardino section opening delay.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
At the northern terminus, the trail is just <gone> from E St. to Mt. Vernon Ave in San Bernardino. Repairs slated to be completed in June, but who knows.

With the corona-related closures, Ryan Bonaminio Park and Mt. Rubidoux in Riverside are both closed (probably the most popular start point for people doing out-and-backs on the trial in the Inland Empire.

So the number of cyclists/runners on the SART has dropped dramatically, to the point where nature is trying to reclaim the trail in some places-- after just a month.

With the diminished trail use and what appears to be complete cessation of maintenance, the homeless population along the trail has increased noticeably.

Just east of Van Buren Ave in Riverside, there is a medieval town sized homeless encampment in the river basin. Luckily, the trail this far east sits atop a quite narrow levee, so the tent cities are down in the flood plain.

San Bernardino County Parks did have the trail opening as of July 1 on their website. Now it's stating November 1 2020 as the completion date.
Old 05-05-20, 04:06 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I remember in the mid-1980's I read that one day the SART would be over 100 miles and span from Big Bear to NPB. How's that going?
Let's put it this way: the 3 whole miles between Waterman Ave. and California St. (which would relocate the northern terminus) was approved and funded in 2007, and scheduled to be completed in 2011. It remains untouched.

But they are working seemingly 24/7 on 9 miles of light rail to connect downtown San Bernardino to downtown Redlands, to the tune of $250M. Which makes no sense at all, no one is going to ride that train.

They could finish the section above Waterman in probably 10 weeks. The phase from Big Bear down? Never. Will never happen. Not ever.
Old 05-05-20, 04:22 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Just think what could be done with the billions for the train to nowhere in the Central Valley. Could have some awesome infrastructure for the whole state.
Old 05-05-20, 08:44 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 3,072 Times in 1,664 Posts
still think we need bullet trains from san diego to seattle, over to boise, down to denver and albuquerque and then back across to tucson, phoenix and san diego
with las vegas, reno/carson city and salt lake city as central hubs. that ship sailed long ago. in the age of nimbyism and airline/auto lobbying, that dream died approx 1983.

sorry for the temp thread hijack.

it will be interesting, in socal, to see what transportation funds get allocated where in the shadow/fallout of/from covid-19.
Old 05-05-20, 08:54 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Scoops? If this plays out anything like "Soylent Green", those will come in handy.

Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-06-20, 07:19 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Scoops? If this plays out anything like "Soylent Green", those will come in handy.

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!
(sorry couldn't resist)
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 05-07-20, 05:46 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 66 Posts
Is it my imagination? But there seems to be riders who are on the bike lane going in the opposite direction of traffic. I mean more prevalent than say 5 years ago.

I ride with traffic and suddenly a rider takes up the bike lane and I have to decide which way to avoid the "wrong way rider".
Old 05-07-20, 05:49 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Newbs?
Old 05-07-20, 06:08 AM
CAT7RDR

^^^^^^ Riders who only watch GCN and think it is appropriate to ride on the left side?
Old 05-07-20, 07:52 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts
Is it my imagination? But there seems to be riders who are on the bike lane going in the opposite direction of traffic. I mean more prevalent than say 5 years ago.

I ride with traffic and suddenly a rider takes up the bike lane and I have to decide which way to avoid the "wrong way rider".
There are a lot of rookies out there right now (everywhere). A lot of lane hogs too.
Old 05-07-20, 10:12 AM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Time to breakout the old kit for the weekends.....hope it still fits.
Likes For Jan Feetz:
Old 05-07-20, 04:13 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

I might be a little guilty of this, but only in that one small stretch where the SART takes you on to the street by La Palma. I always take a wide left if I see a bike heading my way.
Old 05-08-20, 03:01 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Genaro
wide left
??
Speaking of extended public works projects, they've been working on that stretch of Sart foreeeeever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.