Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

KOGA Bike Help

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

KOGA Bike Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 12:52 PM
Orion760@

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
KOGA Bike Help

Hi everyone I'm new to cycling and I recently acquired a Koga bike and I'm looking for some information on it. I hope I'm posting in the right section.

Its labed "Custom made Koga" "signature" "traveller ks -TR28 Aluminium 7005". From what I can see it has a shimano Deore xt groupset. Bottle cages say made a Italy, built in rear wheel axa lock, logo on the front says Netherlands 1974. I'm fairly new to cycling but pretty familiar with most brands and never heard of Koga and I cant seem to find much information on it online. It seems to be built really well, which is leading me to believe its not some department store bike. Anyways just curious to see if they are worth any thing as I'm probably going to sell it because its frame size is to big for me and I cant really ride it.

PICTURES OF THE BIKE ARE ON POST #20

Last edited by Orion760@; 05-06-20 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 12:53 PM
Orion760@

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'll post picture as soon as I reach my 10 post minimum
Old 04-27-20, 01:13 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KOGA
Old 04-27-20, 01:17 PM
Orion760@

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
^

That was really the only information I could find on Koga and my bike model isnt listed
Old 04-27-20, 01:41 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Orion760@
^

That was really the only information I could find on Koga and my bike model isnt listed
Likely because they never bothered to put their really old models on the web, and '74 is really old.

I don't think they actually manufactured anything until 2010 when they stopped the Miyata partnership.
Old 04-27-20, 01:50 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I don’t think 74 is the year of the bike. It refers to the year Koga was founded.
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 04-27-20, 01:52 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
You might start a thread in the Classic & Vintage subforum. Lots of folks there love the Koga-Miyata thing, so probably someone has more info on it. 🙂

BTW, some folks think Miyata is about the best vintage touring bike ever made, so it’s worth some time, probably.
Old 04-27-20, 02:20 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
https://www.koga.com/en/about-koga/history

Signature
https://www.koga.com/en/koga-signature
Old 04-28-20, 12:42 PM
Orion760@

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
You might start a thread in the Classic & Vintage subforum. Lots of folks there love the Koga-Miyata thing, so probably someone has more info on it. 🙂

BTW, some folks think Miyata is about the best vintage touring bike ever made, so it’s worth some time, probably.
I'll try that, thanks for your help
Old 04-28-20, 12:43 PM
Orion760@

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks everyone for the helpful information!
Old 04-28-20, 01:23 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by AeroGut
I don’t think 74 is the year of the bike. It refers to the year Koga was founded.
Yeah, that would make sense/
Old 04-28-20, 07:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
It is probably one of the newer Koga Signature collection that you can build on their site right now. Koga was founded in 1974 in the Netherlands hence the Netherlands 1974. It is an aluminum bike with Deore XT which leads us to something more modern as the old stuff was generally steel and up until semi recently you could get steel but now they want aluminum and they make a bar I want but don't sell it in the states.

Stick around and join the forums, tons of great posts and interesting topics to join in on and then you will be posting pictures in no time. If you are here to ask a question and bugger off then bye Felicia.
Old 04-29-20, 07:34 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
The bike is too big they say, so a sales job is imminent. You guys should negotiate a percentage fee for your research time.

to the person with the bike, if the bike really is too big, don't keep it.
and where are you from, Europe, Asia?
Old 05-06-20, 02:56 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Likely because they never bothered to put their really old models on the web, and '74 is really old.

I don't think they actually manufactured anything until 2010 when they stopped the Miyata partnership.
On the contrary, they are one of the few manufacturers that host their own old scanned brochures. All the way back to 1976.

Koga is a Dutch brand which used to have a partnership with Miyata, who build the frames, hence the Koga-Miyata.

As for OP, if you have pictures we can probably narrow it down to a production year and original price comparing them to the pictures in the brochure. It's probably less than 10 years old.
Originally Posted by veganbikes
they make a bar I want but don't sell it in the states.
I'm guessing the Denham bar? Go to this website and e-mail the address on the bottom.

Also, OP I'm surprised the wikipedia page is the only thing you could find.But this really is easier with pictures. Upload them to your account and let somebody else rehost them.

Last edited by JaccoW; 05-06-20 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-06-20, 03:33 AM
Orion760@

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It is probably one of the newer Koga Signature collection that you can build on their site right now. Koga was founded in 1974 in the Netherlands hence the Netherlands 1974. It is an aluminum bike with Deore XT which leads us to something more modern as the old stuff was generally steel and up until semi recently you could get steel but now they want aluminum and they make a bar I want but don't sell it in the states.
Yeah I believe you are right. its is labeled koga signature, custom made on the bike. I'll post pictures as soon as I reach my 10 post mark.
Old 05-06-20, 03:40 AM
Orion760@

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
The bike is too big they say, so a sales job is imminent. You guys should negotiate a percentage fee for your research time.

to the person with the bike, if the bike really is too big, don't keep it.
and where are you from, Europe, Asia?
I'm from the U.S. I really wish I could ride this bike comfortably its really nice and seems to be build well. Its just too big for me and not really my style of bike. I've owned a Specialized Allez sprint in the past and loved it. So I was hoping this bike could help fund a new sprint bike.

again thanks every one for the help.
Old 05-06-20, 08:04 AM
djb

good luck selling it and getting the type of bike you want.
Old 05-06-20, 08:08 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Yeah I believe you are right. its is labeled koga signature, custom made on the bike. I'll post pictures as soon as I reach my 10 post mark.
Going by the KS-TR 28 model name it seems like a 2015/2016 model of the Koga Signature Traveller KS-TR 28. The 28 stands for the wheel size if 28 inches, aka 700C versus the 26 inch wheels of the WorldTraveller KS-TR 26.

THERE’S an undefined number of years — or maybe it’s miles — that a person needs to spend in the saddle before they begin to develop an understanding of exactly what it is they want out of a bike. No matter what style of bike you ride, as soon as this limit is reached you can’t simply waltz over to your local shop, grab a stock bike, swipe your credit card, and ride off content. You have to tinker. Handlebars, stem, saddle, pedals, seatpost, and wheels are all subject to change. Accessories? Those are absolutely going to pile up in a hurry.

This dance is played out with every subsequent bike purchase, and while it’s all part of the natural process, it can be time consuming and expensive. What if there were a bike company that allowed you to tweak the build kit prior to making the purchase? You could select your favorite parts and accessories, the bike would be built to your specifications, and arrive at your doorstep ready to roll. What if you could have all this without breaking the bank? This is generally where I would say something along the lines of “you can’t afford not to buy it!”

If this all sounds appealing to you, then you’ll want to check out KOGA Signature’s custom-built bikes. Assembled in Holland, the process begins by heading to koga-signature. com, jumping on their bike customizer, and selecting a frame to build around. The frame sizes are stock, but you have some color options to choose from, and the sky’s the limit with regards to what goes on it. As you add or swap out parts, the price is updated on the fly. This is a great way to make sure you don’t let yourself get too out of control and stay within budget. Even if you’re not looking to purchase a bike right away, this is a really fun tool to play around with just to see what’s possible — and what it would cost.

The bike that I tested was built around the KOGA Signature Traveller KS-TR 28 frame. This is a 700c-wheeled workhorse of a bike designed for big adventures. With a triple-butted aluminum frame that’s lightweight and responsive, it’s best suited for pavement yet will hold its own quite well on gravel roads. I didn’t actually get to customize this bike for our road test; it was built for one of Adventure Cycling’s 2015 Young Adult Bike Travel Scholarship winners (see page 8). This program is designed to provide young adults, ages 18-25, with an opportunity to participate in an educational bicycle touring course through Adventure Cycling, complete with a new bike. They can then take their new-found knowledge to the streets and perform outreach activities for their community to further promote the activity of bicycle travel.

While I didn’t get to build this bike myself, it wasn’t far off from what I would have done. The KOGA Traveller frame is designed to be ridden with flat bars, and with that in mind it was outfitted with a full Shimano XT 10-speed mountain bike drivetrain. If you’re looking to combine performance with durability, this level of componentry does not disappoint. Shifting was smooth and crisp, while the full package felt strong and stable. Braking power was supplied by Shimano XT hydraulic brakes, which are perfect for stopping quickly and consistently in all weather conditions, even when hauling around heavy loads.

Moving beyond the basic components is where the bike really gets fun. The front wheel was built around a Shimano XT dynamo hub that provides power to both front and rear lights. The lighting system was attached to the included Tubus racks and SKS fenders, which have both earned reputations as long-lasting quality products. Additional add-ons included both front and rear kickstands, which normally I wouldn’t choose for a bike of my own, but I have to say I really appreciated using them when the bike was fully loaded. They make parking a heavy bike effortless.

Some really nice small touches rounded out the package, all of which I would consider necessities. For starters, you get set up with a nice pair of Shimano Combi pedals, which offer a SPD clipless option on one side, and a flat platform pedal on the other. For hydration, the bike came decked out with not only a pair of bottle cages, but also a pair of aluminum KOGA-branded water bottles. Also included were a lock, pump, tire levers, and a bell. Just about everything you need to get rolling was there.

Maybe the crown jewel of the full kit is the personalization. There’s a reason this is called a KOGA Signature bike, and that’s because the bike arrives with your name painted on the top tube. It’ the little things like this that make you smile.

This makes for a solid package, especially when considering the price tag, but the real test is how it rides in the wild. As I mentioned earlier, this is a bike that features flat handlebars. I’ve always ridden drop bars on the road, so I wasn’t quite sure how I would like this change. Taking the bike out for the first time was an interesting experience.

Unloaded, the bike handling is tuned very nicely so that it feels solid and stable when rolling straight down the road, but also turns on a dime with little effort. I was pleasantly surprised with the upright riding position, which kept me comfortable for hours, and helped keep my head up and focused down the road. When the bike is loaded down with gear, it feels like a tank. I never experienced a case of the wobbles on descents and it maneuvered very well through narrow urban environments.

While the frame is made of aluminum, the geometry is set up in such a way that it produces a smooth ride. Taking the bike off-road is absolutely a possibility, especially with the wide tire clearance available. I had 700c x 37mm tires mounted up to the beefy KOGA rims, which is more than enough rubber to handle crushed gravel.

As of right now, KOGA Signature bikes are not distributed in the U.S., so you won’t be finding these at a shop near you. Instead, you can purchase a bike direct through KOGA and have it shipped to your door. In addition to the retail price tag, you’ll also have to take care of shipping costs and value added tax, which came to around $360 for this particular bike. Expect to wait four to five weeks for delivery. When the bike arrives, it will be roughly 15 minutes away from rideable. Out of the box, both front and rear wheels are already installed and all you have to do is roll it out, straighten and tighten the handlebars, mount the pedals, and pump up the tires. Even though the bike comes built and tuned up, I would always recommend giving it a thorough lookover. Make sure all the bolts are tight and that it shifts properly. I didn’t have any issues with my bike when it arrived, but it’s just good practice. From that point on, enjoy the ride.
Source: AdventureCycling road test review

Specifications:
KOGA SIGNATURE TRAVELLER KS-TR 28
  • Price: $3,088 (plus ~$360 surcharge for U.S. shipping)
  • Sizes available: 50cm, 54cm, 57cm, 60cm, 63cm, 66cm Size tested: 57cm
  • Weight: 38.1 lbs
TEST BIKE MEASUREMENTS
  • 1. Seat tube: 57 cm (c-t)
  • 2. Top tube: 58.5 cm
  • 3. Head tube angle: 71°
  • 4. Seat tube angle: 71°
  • 5. Chainstays: 46cm
  • 6. Bottom bracket drop: 5.4cm
  • 7. Crank spindle height above ground: 28.5cm
  • 8. Fork offset: 6.2cm
  • 9. Wheelbase: 109cm
  • 10. Standover height: 81cm
  • 11. Frame: 7005 aluminum
  • 12. Fork: KOGA Wide Bone rigid
  • 13. Rims: KM21 Xstrong
  • 14. Spokes: Sapim silver
  • 14. Hubs: Shimano Deore XT dynamo front, Shimano XT rear
  • 15. Tires: Schwalbe Marathon 700c x 37
  • 16. Crankset: Shimano XT triple
  • 18. Cassette: Shimano XT 11-34 10-speed
  • 19. Chain: Shimano XT
  • 20. Shift Levers: Shimano XT
  • 21. Brake Levers: Shimano XT
  • 22. Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
  • 23. Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
  • 24. Brakes: Shimano XT hydraulic disc
  • 25. Rotors: Shimano XT centerlock 160mm front and rear
  • 26. Pedals: Shimano Combi PDT780
  • 27. Seatpost: KOGA Signature
  • 28. Stem: KOGA Justera adjustable
  • 29. Handlebar: KOGA Riser
  • 30. Grips: Ergon GP3-L
  • 31. Headset: Integrated
  • 32. Saddle: Brooks B-17
  • 33. Lighting: B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo RT front/B&M 4D’Toplight rear
  • 34. Fenders: SKS Chromoplastics
  • 35. Racks: Tubus Ergo w/kickstand front/Tubus Logo rear
  • 36. Kickstand: Pletscher Comp
  • 37. Lock: AXA Defender
  • 38. Accessories: Elite Lysso aluminum water bottles (x2), Elite Taki bottle cages (x2), Topeak Road Morph pump, Widek Decibel II Kompas bell.
Gearing:
44-32-24T x 11-34
Gear inches: 19.3 - 109.3

Last edited by JaccoW; 05-06-20 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-06-20, 01:10 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by JaccoW
On the contrary, they are one of the few manufacturers that host their own old scanned brochures. All the way back to 1976.

Koga is a Dutch brand which used to have a partnership with Miyata, who build the frames, hence the Koga-Miyata..
I have a ‘98 Koga Miyata City Liner touring bike, purchased as a frame. I’ve never been able to find much info., and certainly not that link to the assorted bikes they made over the years, so a thanks for that, it’s a great resource.

EDIT:. Just found my bike, it’s actually a 1993 (or earlier) model year City Liner. I purchased this as a frame from American Cyclery in ‘98. At the time, Miyata was getting out of the U.S market, they were located in Utah and they were selling all the warranty frames they had stored. American was a dealer and had these on the web., I purchased for $175. It’s been a lot of places and is my touring and commuter bike. Nice to see the history.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-06-20 at 01:27 PM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-06-20, 02:29 PM
Orion760@

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here are some pictures of the bike.

Likes For Orion760@:
Old 05-06-20, 02:32 PM
Orion760@

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Going by the KS-TR 28 model name it seems like a 2015/2016 model of the Koga Signature Traveller KS-TR 28. The 28 stands for the wheel size if 28 inches, aka 700C versus the 26 inch wheels of the WorldTraveller KS-TR 26.
Source: AdventureCycling road test review
Wow thank you. Just the information I was looking for.
Likes For Orion760@:
Old 05-06-20, 07:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts

Koga is a Dutch brand which used to have a partnership with Miyata, who build the frames, hence the Koga-Miyata.

As for OP, if you have pictures we can probably narrow it down to a production year and original price comparing them to the pictures in the brochure. It's probably less than 10 years old.

I'm guessing the Denham bar? Go to this website and e-mail the address on the bottom.

Also, OP I'm surprised the wikipedia page is the only thing you could find.But this really is easier with pictures. Upload them to your account and let somebody else rehost them.

I have talked with Erik...really nice guy but there was an issue last time I tried to order it not because of him it was PayPal and because of the virus it is tough to order. But also no U.S. distribution so tough to get it ordered for the shop I work at.
Old 05-06-20, 09:14 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Are those hydraulic brake calipers? 😲 I’ve heard of Magura hydraulics, mostly on certain older Cannondales, but never owned any. They were VERY expensive, if I remember right. 🤔
Old 05-06-20, 09:18 PM
djb

Are those hydraulic brake calipers? 😲 I’ve heard of Magura hydraulics, mostly on certain older Cannondales, but never owned any. They were VERY expensive, if I remember right. 🤔
yup
they've been around for decades. Biked down the west coast in 94 with a german guy whose bike had them, pretty darn snazzy at the time.
never saw them on cannondales sold up here.
Old 05-07-20, 03:55 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I have a ‘98 Koga Miyata City Liner touring bike, purchased as a frame. I’ve never been able to find much info., and certainly not that link to the assorted bikes they made over the years, so a thanks for that, it’s a great resource.

EDIT:. Just found my bike, it’s actually a 1993 (or earlier) model year City Liner. I purchased this as a frame from American Cyclery in ‘98. At the time, Miyata was getting out of the U.S market, they were located in Utah and they were selling all the warranty frames they had stored. American was a dealer and had these on the web., I purchased for $175. It’s been a lot of places and is my touring and commuter bike. Nice to see the history.
Happy to help.
The CityLiner is a nice looking bike, should be fairly lightweight too with its Hardtlite FM-1 chromoly Splined and Triple Butted tubing. I just rebuilt and restored a drum-brake commuter bike with the same tubing and built up a GentsTour with the same tubing for a friend.

Here are some pictures of the bike.
That definitely looks like the bike I linked to. Very nice bike and from what I've read there should be a name of the original owner on the top tube somewhere.
Back around the time these bikes were sold people buying touring bikes were still very wary of disc-brakes but hydraulic rim brakes are almost/just as good in stopping a bike.

Here is a picture to a disc-brake version of the same bike that's for sale around here.
Marktplaats. The asking price is €1250 but bikes seem to be cheaper around here than in the US in general.

I have talked with Erik...really nice guy but there was an issue last time I tried to order it not because of him it was PayPal and because of the virus it is tough to order. But also no U.S. distribution so tough to get it ordered for the shop I work at.
Yeah, shipping to the US has become a lot more expensive. I think they added like €10 to €15 on shipping, meaning it costs around €40+ to ship a handlebar to the US.

Magura HS33 if I'm correct. They have come down in price a lot. Around €85 for a single one I believe, including the brake lever. Cheaper than some designer cantilever brakes.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by JaccoW; 05-07-20 at 04:02 AM.