Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

randyjawa Dump Finds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

randyjawa Dump Finds...

Old 05-30-20, 06:31 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
randyjawa Dump Finds...

I am utterly amazed at the stuff people throw away. As often as not, when I go to the little dump, near my summer cottage, I find something or other. I am almost afraid to start this thread for fear of offending Fate. But here goes as I attempt to show you what I get to see frequently...

This one showed up at the McGregor Dump last summer...

This old Bianchi, sporting Team Proctor decals, was waiting for me at the dump last summer...

Some bikes, if no one I know in the city wants it, get left where I find them. This Nishiki is just such a bike...

I do regret not bringing this three foot by two foot bicycle painting home with me...

May 13, 2020 - Sometimes, in fact every time, you have to look carefully. Had I not looked and saw this...

I would have missed this old CCM which I picked up and gave to a friend...

May 30, 2020 - another old CCM was sitting, a wee bit buried but easy enough to see from the road. I hope my friend, Curtis, sees this. My hotmail account is messed up and I cannot send him pictures...

I will grab just about anything unusual that captures my interest, The old CCM above is still there, but I did get my hands on a cool old vice, a gnome and a boat anchor, The fire pit in the back I found at the dump years ago...

Anyway, I like going there and seeing what is waiting for me there. If or when something of interest shows up, I will share. For me the whole dump run thing is fun and my hope is to share a bit of it with you. All that said, it would be just my luck to never find another things worth showing. We'll see.
Old 05-30-20, 10:00 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 645 Posts
Thanks for sharing photos of your finds randyjawa . That is an excellent dump you have there. I live in a wealthy part of the country and I walk most nights. Bikes are almost never put out with the trash or I am missing them every time.

I did get a Schwinn World and a Fuji Espree from a scrap metal guy that I try to help out, so that does prove that someone puts bikes out in the trash sometimes.

When I lived in New Hampshire, we had a garbage transfer station, that had plenty of good shopping. My neighbor and I would sometimes come home with more than we brought. But, I never got a good bike there. I don't think I even got a parts bike there.
Old 05-31-20, 05:03 AM
dirtman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Around here, the dump is set up so that once you dump your stuff, it slides down a concrete 'slide'. You basically drive through the scales and get weighed, then depending on what's in your truck your directed where to put certain items. Metal gets dumped in one place, household waste and garbage in another, and hazardous items in another. The place is basically a huge clover leafed layout, with a concrete lined pit in each circle. Once you toss things from your truck, they're completely out of reach as they're thrown down into a pit from a paved roadway. They have huge signs up all over stating that "Removing items from the dump constitutes theft", and "Items left at the dump immediately becomes the property of the county". They have similar signs up all over town about trash picking. "Once an item is at the curb its the property of the City".
Metal items taken to the dump are picked up minutes after you dump them with a huge wheeled loader with a grapple bucket. They toss everything into a huge shredder and turn it onto bite sized chunks almost immediately. The dump serves the whole county and several neighboring areas as well so you can't even go elsewhere to look for stuff.

Our trash collection now requires the use of a huge wheeled dumpster, it holds 90 gallons. They will not take large items, anything you throw away must fit in the dumpster and they scan every load as the truck dumps it into the hopper. You can't throw away building materials, metal, tangle items, plastic, or glass. If the scanner detects any banned items the truck regurgitates the contents back into your can and generates a warning about the trash rules.
Old 05-31-20, 05:58 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Around here, the dump is set up so that once you dump your stuff, it slides down a concrete 'slide'.
First, I am lucky enough to be welcome at a few dumps in my area (three, these days). Second, the main dump works in much the same was as was quoted...

You get weighed going in. You dump your stuff into appropriate bins. You get weighed and pay on the way out. That is the procedure at the main dump for the city of Thunder Bay. No scavenging allowed...

Unless you take the time to set up a kiosk for bicycle drop off, which I did many years ago. I did that on behalf of Bicycles for Humanity - Thunder Bay. I no longer have a picture to show, but hundreds of bikes show up each year. most not so hot, some pretty darn special.

The other two dumps are real old school dumps, with bins for plastic and paper. One area accepts the stuff that bears like, the other two (metal and house hold stuff) the stuff that I like. I am welcome at two dumps like them. This is what I see when I go there...

These two mountain bikes are now serious scrap metal. When I got to the dump yesterday (May 30, 2020) the piles had been pushed (meaning bulldozed either flat or piled up, depending on the area. I will try to get a picture of them when I go to the dump, later today. Pictures soon, I hope.

This old CCM arrived shortly after the push. I wonder if it will be there when I go back today? Pictures to follow for sure, next post later today...
Old 05-31-20, 06:23 PM
randyjawa 

May 31, 2020 - Sunday...

Not much change and no new/old bicycles to be had. The CCM is still there and my hotmail is working now. Messaged a friend to see if he wants me to grab it for him, on Wednesday when the dump is next open. Anyway, this is the sort of thing that I saw today...

And there was even a little beaver looking for a new home in my randyjawa Stewart garden of dump found this and thats...

And a score a couple of years ago - an Empire Professional, mostly buried under a pile of used/ asphalt shingles. The bike was stolen from my son a couple of years later...
Old 05-31-20, 06:59 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
May 31, 2020 - Sunday...
And a score a couple of years ago - an Empire Professional, mostly buried under a pile of used/ asphalt shingles. The bike was stolen from my son a couple of years later...
Amazing... almost a dead ringer for the Empire Professional I got from you around 10 years ago. I'm actually still in the midst of restoring that baby. Paint was basically toast, so it's in for powder coating and rechroming into the bargain (even got new custom decals from Velocal). I see that the seatpost and RD have been upgraded; saddle too I think. Bloody bike thieves!
Old 06-01-20, 03:43 AM
randyjawa 

Amazing... almost a dead ringer for the Empire Professional I got from you around 10 years ago.
I do remember that Empire Pro and take your time with the restoration. Seems like restorations take me longer and longer to complete these days. The Rabeneick is into year three now and still have to apply decals. Maybe today.

As for Empire Professionals, four powder blue ones and one cosmetically challenged white one have come my way, over the years. The blue ones always arrive with the dull powder blue paint. The paint always oxidizes badly, leaving that powdery like dull finish. None the less, really cool bikes even though I would not classify them as exotic.

I forgot to post this picture of that orange Tundra that was sitting, waiting for a new home, last week. Now, it and the other one beside it look like this...

Last week...

Yesterday...
Old 06-01-20, 06:44 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Look what the bike store threw out. .......... A friend of mine living in Park Ridge NJ (within commute distance to NY city) was in line at the county dump behind a van from a local bike store. When it was his turn, he found a bike, one set of brand new wheels and, two sets of old wheels. He's not a bike guy but, he grabbed the stuff he thought I'd like & took it home. Bike was a mess. Very heavy grime & residue on frame. Missing wheels, crankset & brake calipers but, otherwise complete. Imagine my surprise when I disassembled, cleaned and, polished it up. I replaced the missing parts & mounted the new wheels and, now it's one of my favorite rides.

Wish I had some "before" pictures to go with this story. It was so dirty. Looked like the frame had been laying on the floor without a crankset, wheels & brakes for quite some time. Probably in a pile of rubbish at the shop. I think somebody decided the frame was toast. And, the brifters & derailleurs were all frozen up. So, why bother with it. After I got the carbon fiber frame polished up, I carefully examined it & couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Last edited by ramzilla; 06-01-20 at 07:56 AM.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 06-01-20, 08:06 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
A real pity to see good usable bicycles destroyed like that.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-01-20, 11:11 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
I rarely ride through alleys but in this particular area of the city, there are signs prohibiting bikes on sidewalks and the main street has no bike lane. I came across this...

Old 06-01-20, 03:01 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,710 Times in 1,483 Posts
I would like to see a picture of the gnome and the beaver going for a ride in one of the bikes with baskets.....and couldn't help but thinking: "when randyjawa says boat anchor, he means boat anchor"

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-02-20, 04:15 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
One of my nicer bicycles that's not an old-school MIELE made in Mississauga Canada, is a Miyata Seven Ten that would have gone to the dump had I not bought it from a guy who used to fix MTBs and Hybrids for sale. He said he simply could not sell dropbar bikes because where he was no one wanted one. I got the bike and two brand new tires for the whopping sum of $30.00 CDN. It was a real Frankenbike with an eclectic mix of components. I got the bike on a day I was at his place truing wheels for him.

Some of the components.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-06-20, 02:36 AM
randyjawa 

Been busy but did go to the dump on Wednesday (June 3, 2020) afternoon, picking up the old CCM for a friend. Needless to say, that old steed needed to be taken apart to fit into the car (picked up that old road bike Weinmann wheel also)...

Anyway, took the CCM into the city for my friend and he showed his appreciation by giving me his collection of orphan alloy rim road bike wheels...

Two things immediately caught my eye - the dork disk and a 14-26 five cog freewheel for my Torpado...

Anyway, as I said, today (June 6, 2020) is one of the two and a half "dump days" and I do have some yard waste to pitch out. Yes, I do throw stuff away - eh. Anyway, how about a wee contest..?

Tell me what came from the dump in the following picture...Whoever guesses the right thing or things (you only have to get one right) first, wins his or her choice of the Sekine dork disc or a complete set of cheap imported cushion bar wrap (enough for both sides). If whoever wins does not either prize, then he or she can gift it to another forum member, I will ship there, instead of to the winner's place. Anyway, what, in this picture, came from the dump..?

So, gotta load up the Honda with yard stuff. Go to the dump - yahoo - and say good bye to stuff. But who knows what the dump will cough up today, or tomorrow.

Last edited by randyjawa; 06-06-20 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-06-20, 03:03 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
That Sekine dork disc would be a good wall-hanger. By the way, are you guys still doing local landfills up there, Randy?
Old 06-06-20, 05:26 AM
randyjawa 

That Sekine dork disc would be a good wall-hanger. By the way, are you guys still doing local landfills up there, Randy?
Exactly and one already hangs on a beam that supports the front of my cottage. As for the local dump thing, I don't do it for B4H since my heart attack thing. I do look for bikes for myself at two dumps, these days, having been granted unofficial permission from each to "pick". The local B4H group does take bikes and that includes from the landfill site. There is a bit of a story attached to that, perhaps to be told at another time.

Time to load the Honda with this, that and the other thing. Hope I come home with more than I leave there.
Old 06-06-20, 01:35 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 238 Posts
About 90 miles south of you there used to be the Lutsen (MN) dump. I remember as a kid when my family used to go camping on the north shore of Lake Superior we used to stop by the dump just to see the bears.

Originally Posted by randyjawa
One area accepts the stuff that bears like, the other two (metal and house hold stuff) the stuff that I like.
Old 06-06-20, 08:03 PM
randyjawa 

About 90 miles south of you there used to be the Lutsen (MN) dump. I remember as a kid when my family used to go camping on the north shore of Lake Superior we used to stop by the dump just to see the bears.
Until this summer, I too took kids to see the bears at the dump or in the back yard. Yup, I have chased black bears out of the yard on more than one occasion. As for Lutsen, skied there once, many years ago, and hated it. Not Lutsen, the skiing. Busted my knee skiing when I was a teenager but had to do the class to get my honors degree. I still hate skiing!

Anyway, no luck at the dump today but have to go again tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-14-20, 04:49 PM
randyjawa 

Nothing to speak of at the dump on Wednesday, June 10. No bicycles but there was a bear and a fish. Neither came home with me...

Then yesterday, June 13, 2020, there was nothing at the dump, again. With that in mind and in need of a fix, I headed off to the Dorion landfill site. There was one bike that and it almost caught my attention, but it stayed where it was also...

Well, I was about to call it quits and make the 15 kilo meter drive back to the cottage. But as I approached the lake road turn off, I changed my mind and headed for The Sleeping Giant dump. There were several bikes there, but most were pushed and damaged...

The attendant came over to see how I was doing. I had already stopped and asked permission to look for and take an old bike, if I found one. He said sure. Anyway, I had just about looked through the whole scrap metal pile and with no luck to speak of. I went over to his shack, to thank him for allowing me to look, adding that I liked fixing up old Ten Speeds. Once that tidbit of information was offered, he invited me to follow him beside the run down shed. There, surrounded by this, that and another thing, sat three bikes (actually four), and all in nice shape (shiny at least)...

This old Hiawatha came pretty close to capturing my attention. Hard to fit two bikes into Mrs. Me's Honda so the roadster stayed at the Sleeping Giant landfill site. However...

One of the set aside bicycles was this early eighties Peugeot Super Sport, complete with a perfect set of rims for my Torpado Professional build. Needless to say, the free (not counting the 60 km drive) Peugeot is in the man cave right now, stuck post, stem and all...

Last edited by randyjawa; 06-14-20 at 04:52 PM.
Likes For randyjawa:
Old 06-14-20, 05:09 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 815 Posts
Absolutely disgustingly wasteful society, but we already knew that. The late, great Dr. Hans Rosling once said that the difference between mere poverty and hopeless, grinding poverty was ownership of a bicycle. Our castoff mountain bikes and gravel grinders would be life-changers for many of the world's poorest billion people.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 06-14-20, 06:18 PM
randyjawa 

Our castoff mountain bikes and gravel grinders would be life-changers for many of the world's poorest billion people.
I absolutely agree and, though I no longer do it for health reasons, I have helped send 7000+ decent mountain bikes to Africa. Each bike helps several people. I have no idea how many we have helped but I feel good for being a part of the effort.

As for the wasteful society thing. I could not agree more. We are a foolish species and ever ready to take our foolishness to the next level. Pooey-stinko!

Oh, I forgot to mention. The Simplex front derailleur, on the Peugeot I found today, is NOT broken. Yahoo. Though not a Prestige model, it will, none the less, work and look just fine on my confused Carlton, assuming that I ever get around to building it...
Old 06-14-20, 06:58 PM
randyjawa 

The brake pads on the Peugeot Super Sport have seen better days. I can't say that I have ever seen a more deteriorated set...
Old 06-22-20, 04:23 AM
randyjawa 

Not much at the dump the last week or so, since I got that old Peugeot Super Sport. That said, Saturdays and half of Sundays are dump days in cottage land. Anyway...

June 20, 2020: I went to the dump, first thing in the morning to begin disposing of the scrap roofing stuff that, as you might expect, came off of the roof I just replaced. Not a fun job!

As I pulled into the dump and from a couple of hundred yards away, I saw two vintage bikes, although I could not see them clearly from that distance. When I got closer, this is what I saw on Saturday (the 20th)...

When I went back on Sunday, Father's Day, one of the two old single speed step throughs was gone. No biggie in my world, but cannot help but wonder who wanted it and for what. Anyway this Huffy showed up and, though not at all interested in it, one of my grandsons needs a bike and I considered this heavy thing. Nope...

Then, after a short walk around the metal pile, this not so old steed presented itself and I gave some thought to bringing this home for him. But I left it there, feeling certain that something nicer would show up very soon...

I almost always try to snap up any old Tonka toys, and these are a few that have come my way, from the dump, over the years. Not sure why I like this stuff but I do know one thing. They sort of help to define the theme of my gardens cluttered yard...

The old Franklin cast iron stove did not come from the dump. It was the original heat source in the cottage when I bought it. That bucket contains a very rare anti-Corona virus plant..:-(

I am not sure why, but I decided to not take this when I came upon it. Wish that I had brought it home for my garden display of road working vehicles...
Old 06-26-20, 05:09 AM
randyjawa 

Wednesday, June 24, 2020...

Went to two of the four dumps that allow me to "pick" from. A few kids bikes, a BXM or two, a few old mountain bikes and one old Ten Speed. The Ten Speed. a Sears Ventura something or other, was at dump #2 . It stayed right where it was, underneath a pile of this and that...
Old 06-26-20, 05:14 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Always a pleasure to view your dump find escapades, Randy! To me, staring into a pile of junk like the above picture is like looking at a painting. Its art to me, I guess I'm saying!
Old 06-26-20, 06:46 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
That really is a fun hobby. Love looking thru stuff like this. Thanks for the pictures

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.