Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New 2020 Specialized Epic Hardtail Carbon

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20, 05:50 AM
robertmham

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently purchased the new Specialized 2020 Epic Hardtail. Met with the guys at the bike shop and went over height/weight (6'0-275lb) all those good things, what I would be using the bike for. We discussed based on weight/height that I should purchase the large bike but when I ride the bike the year tire compresses and almost appears flat. I am a fairly new rider and am looking for some advice (other than lose some LB's) on what to do about riding with the tire like this or what changes I should make? I attempted to pump them to what I assume was the max as I was utilizing the mini hand pump and it would appear that I have fully inflated them? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-07-20, 06:06 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,416 Times in 2,753 Posts
Welcome and congrats! Hopefully those extra pounds will drop as you get the miles in. Your rear tire needs more air. A floor pump will make that much easier. Edit- looks like 50psi may be max for your tires. Check the sidewall.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 06-07-20 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-07-20, 06:19 AM
robertmham

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The sidewall does say 50PSI is the max which i was assured from Specialized that it would easily hold 275 for those tires. Will have to go grab floor pump or get attachment for the air compressor for these specific tires.
Old 06-07-20, 06:22 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
First get a floor pump with a pressure gauge. Hand pumps are for emergencies on the side of the road. Second, your weight is not a problem especially with that bike and those tires.

When you say you pumped "what I assume was the max" how did you come to that conclusion? What were the indicators to you?

My advice go back to the shop and asked them to show you how to properly inflate a tire with their floor pump. They will be happy to do it, especially if you purchase a pump from them.

When you look at the side of the tire you will find markings just like on a car tire but these will tell you a pressure range that includes maximum pressure. It will say something like 35-45 lbs. For your weight, you will want to be closer to the max. Have a read of this introductory article on tire pressure.

My concern is there is a slow leak in that tube. If the bike new, there is no way that much air should have leaked even if it sat two months unused.

You could also purchase a tire pressure gauge. Some members scoff at them here but for someone new into the sport they can really help. I use one as I am experimenting with lower pressures and it is hard to feel with my thumb the difference between 55 and 60 pounds (different wheels than yours). Test your tire every few days to see if there is a slow leak and of course before you go out for a ride. In time you won't need to check with the gauge and your thumb will be fine but until then you the tools that help.

Last don't ride that wheel into the tire pressure has been sorted. You don't want to pinch flat the tube or ruin the rim. Congratulations on your new ride, it must be spectacular.
Old 06-07-20, 08:17 AM
robertmham

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appreciate the tips.
Old 06-07-20, 08:26 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I think it's also a good idea to check the psi on a gauge, then squeeze the tire by hand. Over time, this will help you develop a feel for the right pressure, for those instances when you don't have a pressure gauge.

Did you talk to the shop about tubeless yet? It's usually worth it if you ride more than a few times a month. You probably only need new valve stems, tape, and sealant to do it.