Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Braking performance varies on two road bikes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-14-20, 02:07 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts

Hi There,

I have two road bikes. One is my Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra with Campy Zonda wheels and Ultegra 6800 brakes. The other is an older Trek Madone 4.7 with the stock Bontrager Race wheelset and 105 5700 brakes.

Both bikes are well tunes, modulation is great on both, and pads are in great condition on both.

When I brake on the Cannondale, unless I full lock, I'm mostly just "slowing down". The sound from the rear brakes can be a bit "loud" if I brake hard enough. I looked, they don't appear dirty or contaminated with metals that would cause this.

When I brake on the Trek, it doesn't take much, but I can forcefully feel myself "slowing down", even if just utilizing the rear brake (and not locking it).

Any thoughts / ideas?
Old 06-14-20, 02:38 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,091 Times in 722 Posts
What kind of brake pads are you running? Since they are the friction element they have a big influence on braking performance.
Old 06-14-20, 02:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
What kind of brake pads are you running? Since they are the friction element they have a big influence on braking performance.
+1 And what are the braking surfaces on the rims? Carbon fiber? Aluminum? (I've only ridden aluminum - and steel in the dark ages) so I cannot comment from experience but I hear they brake quite differently.)

Ben
Old 06-14-20, 02:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4153 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,245 Posts
I speculate that rim/pad condition as well as cable free movement contributes a lot to overall feel of "braking power" (actually the ability to remove energy from the rider/bike to the brakes) then things like caliper/lever leverage factors and also pad material (although this last bit is more variable).

Having said that Shimano has spent a lot of $ to convince the buying public that each more recent brake system is "more powerful" then the last. Of course this assumes all aspects of said systems are within Shimano's specs, not always valid with non Shimano cables and rims. Andy
Old 06-14-20, 04:10 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
The Cannondale definitely has Ultegra pads. The Trek I believe has 105 pads as well.
Old 06-14-20, 04:12 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
+1 And what are the braking surfaces on the rims? Carbon fiber? Aluminum? (I've only ridden aluminum - and steel in the dark ages) so I cannot comment from experience but I hear they brake quite differently.)

Ben
Aluminum for both.
​​​​​​
Old 06-14-20, 09:35 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 88 Posts
How are the conditions of the brake cables and housings?
Old 06-15-20, 04:58 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by MudPie
How are the conditions of the brake cables and housings?
I don't imagine they're the issue. Like I mentioned modulation and contact to the bike appears good and immediate. No squishy or gunky feeling.
​​​​
Old 06-15-20, 06:41 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Is it possible that something that is different between the bikes is affecting your perception of how the brakes are working? Maybe there's a more noticeable weight transfer to your hands on the trek so it feels like you're stopping more quickly?
Alternatively, the noise from the cannondale brakes might be causing you to react by releasing some pressure (ie letting up on the lever a bit) without thinking about it.
Certainly a hard problem to diagnose over the internet.
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 06-15-20, 11:31 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by AeroGut
Is it possible that something that is different between the bikes is affecting your perception of how the brakes are working? Maybe there's a more noticeable weight transfer to your hands on the trek so it feels like you're stopping more quickly?
Alternatively, the noise from the cannondale brakes might be causing you to react by releasing some pressure (ie letting up on the lever a bit) without thinking about it.
Certainly a hard problem to diagnose over the internet.
Appreciate the insight. Maybe I'll have my LBS take a closer look when things quiet down a bit. Nothing urgent.

Thanks for everyone's help
Old 06-15-20, 07:30 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 352 Posts
The Cannondale is the newer bike with the "better" brakes but doesn't work as well. Hmmm, sounds like maybe the older bike had an upgrade, or a pad replacement? I have a bike where the braking sucked for years. They were Campy record brakes and Modolo Kronos levers. I always thought it was just the poor design of the first aero type levers, but when I replaced the pads when I resurrected the classic Italian bike they were on suddenly I could brake again. Now the issue is that rubber hoods are unobtanium. I've tried a few things but nothing really works well. If I had the Campy levers I'd use them but the bike was built with the Modolo. In any case, bad pads can cause really bad braking. They aren't expensive and if you don't know the age maybe assume they are old and dried out.

And now that I'm talking about it maybe I need to take the Zilioli for a spin. I think I need to check the wheels, or maybe just swap on my modern Eastons for a ride. I believe the front has a Clement Criterium Seta mounted on it, another piece of unobtanium. Not sure I would trust it though. As far as I know there is only one other Zilioli bike in the U.S.
Old 06-20-20, 08:46 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

So apparently some bike wash on a clean rag, cleaned the rims, cleaned the brake pads, and all is good now! Despite "looking" clean, all it appeared to need was a good wipe down.
Old 06-20-20, 08:51 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts
Personally I have never thought that Shimano pads were that exceptional. I know it sounds like a lot of hype here on the forum, but ever since using Kool-Stop pads I would never go back to Shimano pads. The increase in stopping power has been quite noticeable.
Old 06-20-20, 09:19 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Personally I have never thought that Shimano pads were that exceptional. I know it sounds like a lot of hype here on the forum, but ever since using Kool-Stop pads I would never go back to Shimano pads. The increase in stopping power has been quite noticeable.
Which ones do you use? The reality is you can only have so much power before you just lock the wheel everytime.
Old 06-20-20, 05:59 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
I honestly find stock Shimano pads to be very good, but given my choice I usually use Kool Stop Salmon or hybrid Pads. Swissstop FlashPro BXP is also quite nice.
Old 06-20-20, 06:16 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
Which ones do you use? The reality is you can only have so much power before you just lock the wheel everytime.
Dual compound Salmon/Black. Don't take it as i consider Kool-Stop to be the best there is, it's just that personally I think they're much better than Shimano pads.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-20-20, 06:19 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
I’ve used the Kool Stop salmon pads on all my bikes for years. The salmon pads give better ‘feel’ and modulation, no noise, work truly great in the wet and their wear characteristics are very good, Not at all expensive.
Likes For Davet:
Old 06-20-20, 06:34 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 799 Posts
Another vote for KS salmon pads. However, I will say that the braking on my new 105 7000 brakes/pads is very good. That is with both Fulcrum Racing 5 clinchers and Pro-Lite Bortola 2.0 clinchers. The wheelsets are also new.
Old 06-20-20, 11:41 PM
lostronin

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Soma Smoothie, Lynskey Peloton, Look 585, Colnago CX Zero

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Shimano 105 r5800 brakes with Kool-Stop Salmon pads, Shimano r500 wheels on the Lynskey.
Shimano 105 r7000 brakes with Shimano pads, Campagnolo Zondas on the Look 585.
Better feel and stopping power with the Kool-Stops.

However, the Shimano pads are fine and I will wear them out before replacing them with Kool Stops.
Likes For lostronin:
Old 06-21-20, 11:31 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 79 Posts
i really wish that pads came with an "expiration" date, esp "new"ones.
They age and get overlooked
'"They still have meat on them"
Um, is not the right answer