Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saddle Recommendation for Road Bike?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saddle Recommendation for Road Bike?

Old 07-12-20, 03:08 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I came back to biking at 235-240 & 5' 7". The actual size of one's butt is quite different from the width of the sit-bones. Big butt doesn't necessarily mean wide saddle.

For saddles, what part of you hurts? If you're a new rider, you have to break in your butt. If you've got specific complaints, let us know. That would help recommend something that would solve your problem(s).

For 35 mile rides, I strongly recommend bike shorts or thin shorts over liners. A lot of vendors make big shorts. Aerotech Designs promotes themselves to big men - good stuff at reasonable prices. In addition to Kucharik, Boure, Jandd, Pearl Izumi, Bontrager, etc. make shorts that are likely to fit you.
Old 07-12-20, 05:46 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by shed
BTW - several of you have mentioned that padded saddles are not good for long runs. What happens?
Your butt will get sore and you can stand up on your pedals to relieve the "dead butt" feeling. Like moving your hands to a different position on the handlebar. Once you have gotten to riding 100+ miles for a couple weeks in a row, you might no longer need padding in the shorts. I ride 100-200+ miles per week and no longer wear padded shorts, even for 50+ mile rides. Compression boxers under Columbia fishing shorts, mesh liner removed.
Until you get a few hundred miles within a couple weeks, your butt will be sore. After that, soreness goes away.
Originally Posted by Indyracer
I am 6'1" and 250lbs. i recently replaced my Selle Italia which I liked with an ISM. I will NEVER go back. Highly recommended
I replaced my WTB saddles with ISM saddles, PR 2.0 (road) and PR 3.0 (gravel). Know what width fits your butt. Get the right width. Great saddles.
Old 07-13-20, 11:06 AM
Needabanana

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, Trek 960, Trek 7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have had good experiences with the Fabric saddles on two bikes.
Likes For Needabanana:
Old 07-20-20, 10:50 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
I used a Brooks Team Pro for decades. But after getting into mountain biking on a hardtail, I switched to a WTB Pure V on my road bike. I figured that if it is good off road, it will just as good on pavement. I’ve never looked back.

You’ll have to figure out what works best for you, but don’t dismiss a MTB saddle if it fits.

John
Old 07-20-20, 11:38 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I went to an LBS that has the memory foam you can sit on that shows the location of your sit spots, and they measure the width between the two indents. Then they select saddles that cater to that width. The shop I went to also had a trainer set up and allowed me to try several saddles for 10 mins. until one just felt right to me. Specialized Power Expert, with a nice little cutout. I've done a 325 mile ride (in 24 hours) on it, and the sit spots felt great afterwards, the legs not-so-much. Anything less than 50 miles and I sometimes forget I'm even on a saddle.
Old 07-20-20, 12:17 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
I hope the original poster is now sitting pretty on his bike.

God (if she exists) does Not send lightning bolts down to earth while commanding while commanding people to wear bike shorts. However, there's a reason people wear them and it's not just marketing. Bike shorts (or bibs) make for a more comfortable ride. Also, the more miles, the more the body adjusts to those miles, (within limits, especially for older cyclists).
Old 07-20-20, 01:01 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I'll chime in here. I recently got this saddle the Ergon SR Comp on my main bike and after a solid few months on it love it: https://www.jensonusa.com/Ergon-SR-C...SAAEgL-nvD_BwE

I bought it because of the generous cut out channel, but not because of any particular issue I was having previously with my WTB Volt (also very comfortable, and still on my #2 bike). I just figured, why not? Can't hurt!
I love the look of a classic Brooks, but I've discovered I'm most comfy on a saddle with that more pronounced "Whale Tail" shape that rises up in the back. My sit bones perch right there just right on this saddle (actually on the WTB too, but I just wanted a new saddle).

As for shorts, everyone is different, but I've stopped wearing any kind of padded shorts. I ride a gravel bike on pavement and dirt, and I wear some of the newer "gravel" shorts that are like much more streamlined, shorter and un-baggy MTB shorts. Underneath I wear Smartwool Merino boxer briefs. I'm a skinny little guy with hardly any fat to speak of, and I ended up discovering that with a saddle that allows me to sit properly on my sitbones like that, I don't need any extra padding. I ride looong days, lots of hot weather too, and have never been more comfortable than I am with this approach. I used to get back and be dying to get the damn padded liner off, but with these merino undies, you stay dry and comfortable. YMMV pf course.
Old 07-21-20, 10:43 AM
woofy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Totally personal but...

I get on very well with Fabric Pro (carbon rails 142mm) - either the radius or shallow... have not tried flat.
I also have a Fizik Aliante Braided (Carbon rails) that is very comfortable. This would equate generally to the Fabric radius... a "bull" in Fizik's parlance. I am actually pretty flexible, but the Aliante is still very comfy to me

I do not wear shorts for the distance I normally ride daily. Just not needed. The more you ride the more that will become true. Still wear them, but it is usually for the longer efforts.
Old 07-21-20, 01:25 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Unfortunately, I have been through 20 saddles at least.

My two favorite saddles are the Specialized Power Expert in 155 and my current saddle a Fizik Aliante Open R1 153 with braided carbon rails. I have had my Fizkik Aliante for only three weeks and I am still trying to find the perfect way to dial it in. I finally had to admit to myself, I am a bull. I showed my Wife how the Fizik flexibility test works. I was expecting her to say I was a Cameleon. She said I was definitely a bull. So far, the swoopy "S" shape of the Fizik Aliante seems to work.

I probably have ridden a couple of thousand miles on the Power Expert saddle. If you can get it dialed in, it is very comfortable. I gave up on it when I got sore after a 140 mile ride. I probably should have stuck with it because any saddle will cause soreness after that many miles.

#Woofy , how do you have your Fizik setup? I have read that many have their level from front to back. I have seen some have their nose down up to 2 degrees. Fizik says to level the first 7.5cm of the saddle.#
Old 07-21-20, 01:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
several..

2 Brooks team pro 75 & 85.
Fizik Vitesse HP (for Brompton) & CP3 + *a M5 mtb take off
*Turbo Hinault edition& Avocet race 2,
SI ' Rolls' & *Flyte.
SM Concor Max
Avocet touring

& a re padded & re covered Cinelli Volare
& *a PDW Dos Thronus

* will sell these.. ask. if interested..
Old 07-26-20, 07:07 PM
BFmotion3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Gel Pad works for me just fine
Old 10-10-20, 11:03 AM
Kanon25

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Bike shorts are an essential basic.

I’d recommend the Pro Stealth. Works well for me to eliminate the pressure down the middle, is very comfortable to sit back into for long periods or lean forward forpower bursts without irritating your inner thighs.
Old 10-11-20, 07:34 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
For utility cycling I favor so-called "double" or "mountain biking" shorts. Since REI discontinued my favored Navarras, I have switched to Deckras. They are a bit baggy/long in the legs, but so far, so good, and the $32 price is right. The inner bike short liner is fully detachable, so it could be worn with other hiking/walk shorts, if desired. I'll see how well they hold up over use and time.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069