Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bikecloset

Old 06-22-20, 07:10 PM
Flip43

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bikecloset

Hello everyone! Have read this forum for years, but this is my first post. Ordered a new helmet from bike closet last Thursday. It hasn’t shipped yet and I reached out to their text help line over 5 hours ago with no response yet. Wondering if anyone else has ordered from them and what their experience was like? I don’t need the helmet right away, but would at least like to know my order is being processed.
Old 06-22-20, 08:52 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 277 Posts
I have not been surprised to have orders take a week or so for a seller to gather together. (Hell, I ordered something online from the local bike shop that they had in stock, and it took two or three days just for them to walk over, pull it off the shelf, and text me that I could come pick it up.) Shipping times will also be slower, at least if you use USPS-- things I'm waiting on have been 2-3 days past the original estimated delivery date.

Remember that not only may businesses have reduced staff right now, but that's on top of the usual spring/summer rush to buy bike gear, and then on top of that, the massive run on cycling supplies that many are seeing because people are going insane from quarantine and suddenly starting (and wanting to buy supplies for) all sorts of new hobbies (pro tip: wait 6 months to a year and then snap up all this stuff on Craigslist once everyone is done with said hobbies), and the fact that it may also take them longer to get things in stock from *their* suppliers, for the same reasons.
Old 06-22-20, 10:46 PM
chameleon1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered some Shimano shoes from them on 6/17. They shipped 6/18 and I got them on 6/20 (USPS from CA to TX). It was my first order from them and I was super impressed.
Old 06-22-20, 11:06 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip43
Hello everyone! Have read this forum for years, but this is my first post. Ordered a new helmet from bike closet last Thursday. It hasn’t shipped yet and I reached out to their text help line over 5 hours ago with no response yet. Wondering if anyone else has ordered from them and what their experience was like? I don’t need the helmet right away, but would at least like to know my order is being processed.
As a frequent shopper of Bike Closet, I'll chime in here...

It can take some time, but they ALWAYS ship out. Small price to pay for the great bargains they have.
Old 06-23-20, 11:03 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Be glad that you didn't order from China via AliExpress. Some orders placed in March are just now delivering.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-24-20, 06:46 PM
Flip43

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Order shipped today! Can’t wait to get it now. Hopefully I don’t wear out the tracking link lol.
Old 06-24-20, 08:21 PM
bl kolb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As you found out, no need to worry. I placed my first order with them in early May and it shipped about 6 days later. It was a great price on tires and tubes. As others have said, things are just taking longer now. Great prices if they have what you need.
Old 06-24-20, 09:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
It always amazes me 4+ months into the global pandemic that people are still not understanding there are delays all over and communication can be tough.

I had one guy on the phone as I explained to him we have 600+ bikes in the shop, more being dropped off daily and the few last bikes we still needing to be built as well as the arduous task of answering phones (3+ calls at one time sometimes) and 100s of emails and attending to people outside because of COVID-19 say "that is not an excuse" that his bike he dropped off the previous day and was told it would take at least a week should have been done today.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-25-20, 06:34 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 818 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It always amazes me 4+ months into the global pandemic that people are still not understanding there are delays all over and communication can be tough.

I had one guy on the phone as I explained to him we have 600+ bikes in the shop, more being dropped off daily and the few last bikes we still needing to be built as well as the arduous task of answering phones (3+ calls at one time sometimes) and 100s of emails and attending to people outside because of COVID-19 say "that is not an excuse" that his bike he dropped off the previous day and was told it would take at least a week should have been done today.
You obviously have room for improvement.

Where can I hide now?
Old 06-25-20, 07:15 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts

I really don't want to push this thread in another direction, but...

Every business has it's limitations. You can't make all the people happy all the time. But you can sure make a heck of an effort. There are competent, knowledgeable bike mechanics who would probably jump at the chance to make some extra cash working in a LBS on a temp basis. I worked in the logistics industry, and years ago when UPS went on strike we were crushed with additional work from all of our clients. All the freight that they usually gave to UPS was now going through us. We tripled our workload in about 1 day. Everyone on our 2 shifts knew what had to be done and we got it done. Everyone was working 12 hour shifts. We were virtually open 24/7. Having the extra work is a good thing. I know it might not seem like it at the time, but embrace it and show your clientele you're there for them.
Old 06-25-20, 04:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You obviously have room for improvement.

Where can I hide now?
LOL! Thanks for giving me a laugh. I need it these days.

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I really don't want to push this thread in another direction, but...

Every business has it's limitations. You can't make all the people happy all the time. But you can sure make a heck of an effort. There are competent, knowledgeable bike mechanics who would probably jump at the chance to make some extra cash working in a LBS on a temp basis. I worked in the logistics industry, and years ago when UPS went on strike we were crushed with additional work from all of our clients. All the freight that they usually gave to UPS was now going through us. We tripled our workload in about 1 day. Everyone on our 2 shifts knew what had to be done and we got it done. Everyone was working 12 hour shifts. We were virtually open 24/7. Having the extra work is a good thing. I know it might not seem like it at the time, but embrace it and show your clientele you're there for them.
Exactly that is the big thing. People aren't understanding of this yet and it is odd. We have been hiring extra people but it is still tough because you have to train them and get them used to your system and methods and also find them. Most in our area are gainfully employed at a bike shop and many have animosity towards different shops because of past employment and not gelling with staff or management.

It sucks to have such drama, I hate it but some mechanics and other bike shop staff can be divas.

Being busy is great but being overly busy and having people assume that we aren't busy and our business hasn't at least tripled is not as good. We want to support everyone and keep things going and we are doing our best at that but when some people aren't willing to budge from "I am the most important you should only focus on me me me" it is not good.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-25-20, 06:02 PM
Flip43

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I completely understand things being different due to Covid. However when your website states text us anytime no question is too stupid and you get no reply it’s frustrating even given the circumstances. I’m a logistics professional so I know that there are supply chain disruptions happening everywhere. The prices on this site can’t be beat, so at the end of the day I’ll sacrifice some customer service and extended lead time to get what I wanted at what I consider a bargain.
Old 06-28-20, 11:41 AM
Kat12

...his bike he dropped off the previous day and was told it would take at least a week should have been done today.
Yeah, I have a friend who ordered something through the LBS (wasn't in stock the day we were there), and a few days later (I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a week) was calling them to see if it was in yet (despite the fact that she was told it would be a while). Even in normal times I would expect it to take at least a week or possibly more. I told her it was going to be a while.

(And so now every time we go to a store, she's like "oh I wonder if they have the Thing because it hasn't come into LBS yet." {I know, she's excited about her bike and wants to buy All The Things, and do it right now, {and, I suspect, make the bike "perfect"} but I've been trying to dissuade her from throwing a ton of money at it right away too and to slow down and figure out what she really needs after riding it for a while, look around online for better prices rather than just buying whatever she can grab at a store today, etc.})
Old 06-30-20, 09:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Kat12
Yeah, I have a friend who ordered something through the LBS (wasn't in stock the day we were there), and a few days later (I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a week) was calling them to see if it was in yet (despite the fact that she was told it would be a while). Even in normal times I would expect it to take at least a week or possibly more. I told her it was going to be a while.

(And so now every time we go to a store, she's like "oh I wonder if they have the Thing because it hasn't come into LBS yet." {I know, she's excited about her bike and wants to buy All The Things, and do it right now, {and, I suspect, make the bike "perfect"} but I've been trying to dissuade her from throwing a ton of money at it right away too and to slow down and figure out what she really needs after riding it for a while, look around online for better prices rather than just buying whatever she can grab at a store today, etc.})
Everyone is excited, everyone wants their bike, that is the big problem. If you were to put it to them, I have this other person who really wants their bike right away let me not work on yours and do theirs instead, they would lose their minds. "What do you mean you are working on that bike it just came in mine has been there"

People just need to relax all we have right now is time and if we just say "OK cool things take a little longer" we can all get along. If you are living under a rock please let me rent it out for a time, I could use it but there is also a global pandemic out there and instead of actually fighting it we are just trying to start the engine in a closed garage, saying "running this car is more important than breathing right now"
Old 07-01-20, 03:29 PM
Kat12

Everyone is excited, everyone wants their bike, that is the big problem. If you were to put it to them, I have this other person who really wants their bike right away let me not work on yours and do theirs instead, they would lose their minds. "What do you mean you are working on that bike it just came in mine has been there"

People just need to relax all we have right now is time and if we just say "OK cool things take a little longer" we can all get along. If you are living under a rock please let me rent it out for a time, I could use it but there is also a global pandemic out there and instead of actually fighting it we are just trying to start the engine in a closed garage, saying "running this car is more important than breathing right now"
Well, it's a little more nuanced than "she's just an impatient person"-- there are reasons that having a bike is kind of a big deal for her and pretty exciting, and think of it more as a kid excited and impatient for Christmas than some jerk who thinks they're more important than everyone else-- but I get what you're saying.
Old 07-02-20, 03:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Kat12
Well, it's a little more nuanced than "she's just an impatient person"-- there are reasons that having a bike is kind of a big deal for her and pretty exciting, and think of it more as a kid excited and impatient for Christmas than some jerk who thinks they're more important than everyone else-- but I get what you're saying.
I know but it is also some impatience. It is a mixture of both but with this virus having been raging on for 6 months in the U.S. people need to have a little more understanding of that by now. Month one OK impatience nobody knows what is going on and it is a scary new world, 6 months in, it is just the new normal. I hate to say it that way because it is a sickening thought that we are stuck with this for an indefinite period.
Old 07-02-20, 05:55 PM
Kat12

nobody knows what is going on and it is a scary new world, 6 months in, it is just the new normal.
Nobody's denying that.