Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commute + light touring?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commute + light touring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-20, 07:33 PM
seinberg 

Bikes: Checkpoint SL7, Tarmac SL7, Trek Top Fuel, Trek Farley, Priority 600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Commute + light touring?

Hi all,

Looking for advice on a comfortable, low maintenance bike I can use for commuting (20 mi/day), for fun rides toying around town (NYC), and the occasional longer tour with friends.

I've been looking at the priority 600 because of the pinion gearbox and gates carbon drive, but I'm wondering if the efficiency loss of the pinion system will be noticeable and a drag. I'll be coming from a 10 year old CAAD10 road bike. Compared to an ebike I have where I sit mostly upright I find it extremely uncomfortable, although it's still quite fast.

What do you folks suggest? Let's say budget is $3k or less.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-20, 09:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
With the caveat that every response will be either a variation of "here's what I ride" or "here's what I want," you should look at either a sport touring bike or a gravel bike. You should be able to get either for under three grand.

Make sure it's got mounts for a rack, and for fenders if you'll be commuting
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 06-26-20, 10:00 AM
seinberg 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks - makes sense! I ended up pulling the trigger on the Priority 600 (with rack). It seems like a good deal and I like the internal gearing and Gates carbon drive for lower maintenance. They have a no-questions-asked return policy, so if I don't love it I'll just return it. Curious if anybody has exposure to it and if so what they think.
Old 06-28-20, 07:33 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
My only concern is, what if that pinion gearbox or the Ds2 Rotary shifter goes wonky while out on a tour? how many bike shops will know how to fix either item? Or the belt breaks, how many bike shops in some little town will have one in stock? I know they don't even carry a belt in the city of 300,000 where I live! Of course they could FedEx you the belt, perhaps not too big of deal for a shop mechanic to install it? But they can't FedEx a mechanic to fix the Pinion Gearbox or the Ds2 shifter, and since that Pinion Gearbox thing is out of Germany chances are that's where the parts will have to come from. So on a tour you could be waiting in some small town for weeks for a part to come, but if the shop guy can't figure out how to install the parts, then you're stuck again.

I know, you'll tell me that it can't break, new cars break all the time, just saying.
Old 06-28-20, 08:04 PM
seinberg 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ah, just spent a bunch of time responding and my message got lost! Short version: yes, you're right that it's a risk. One I'm willing to take to try out the more modern and lower maintenance drivetrain. The upside is Pinion has its US HQ in Denver, and are apparently very liberal about replacing failed units, so hopefully it'd not be a major issue. I do live near dozens of shops that have the belt drive and Pinion system (NYC metro area) so I'm not too concerned with the parts. If it breaks during a tour, you can tell me you told me so though
Old 06-29-20, 07:26 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
https://www.rei.com/product/159860/c...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 06-29-20, 09:31 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by seinberg
.....If it breaks during a tour, you can tell me you told me so though
Won’t happen. The Pinion/belt on the 600 is bulletproof. I commuted on that bike for a year, enjoy!
Old 06-30-20, 11:45 AM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Nice choice for a commuter bike. That's what I've been eyeing on for months now though it's a bit on the pricey side for me.
Old 07-06-20, 07:21 AM
seinberg 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Well, I've had the bike about a week now and have done a bunch of short ~5-10 mile rides, a longer rail trail ride while pulling my kids in a Burley trailer, and one longer ride in some brutal heat. Observations: definitely don't notice any efficiency loss from the Pinion system. It pedals just like a traditional gearing system, although when you pedal hard (e.g., up a hill) you can feel the gears moving a bit which is interesting. The bike itself is definitely slower than my old road bike (a ~2010 CAAD10), but that's expected with the fatter tires and heavier frame. The nice thing is I get no lower back pain riding the Priority like I did with the road bike, and I can load up the Priority with a bunch more stuff for my commute or just longer rides. Really digging it so far!
Likes For seinberg:
Old 07-14-20, 12:09 PM
mattia76

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone RB-T, 1987 Miyata 1000LT, Rivendell Sam Hillborne,

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 15 Posts
Seinberg, I am a jealous man.

I had the same questions and a smaller budget 3 years ago and ended up going with a Priority Continuum....for a few months. I hadn’t ridden much in years besides around the park with the kids. I liked my Continuum quite a bit and I think the 600 has looked AMAZING Since the day it came out. I bought the Continuum for the same reasons—dreams of some light touring and some fairly regular commuting and I think the 600 will end up being great for what you’re talking about.

I ended up going down a different path after a few months when I found a great deal on a 1992 Bridgestone RB-T and fell in love with the quality steel bikes. I now have a Rivendell Sam Hillborne for 90% of my rides (have yet to tour) and a 1983 Specialized Expedition in the Garage for that tour one day. ALSO a 1990 Stumpjumper hard-tail in the garage to be restored for....something, just because I never could get one back in the day.

If anything, the 600 may end up being the ultimate commuter and all a rounder for you and you’ll find a more true to form touring rig elsewhere.