Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lightish vintage mixte?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lightish vintage mixte?

Old 07-07-20, 09:48 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
There was another good thread a few months ago with lots of good suggestions:
Good quality mixte frames? by @babie_lato
I wonder how her project is going...
Old 07-07-20, 05:00 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
to Daverup: sorry to say but the only Tange tube used in that Centurion mixte was the seat tube
so that they could put the sticker on it. one of many shenanigans used in the early 80s
Old 07-07-20, 05:39 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by steve sumner
to Daverup: sorry to say but the only Tange tube used in that Centurion mixte was the seat tube
so that they could put the sticker on it. one of many shenanigans used in the early 80s
Ok, but it still doesn't seem like a boat anchor.
I posted it as a cheaper alternative.
Old 07-07-20, 08:32 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
My kid’s Lotus weighs 27 lbs, including kickstand, steel touring bars and a fairly chunky old saddle.

Turns out it is about the same weight as my road bike. The low end 80s Schwinn Frame is helped out by inheriting mostly nice, alloy parts from my 70s-80s build on a nicer 70s frame.

Perhaps because the Lotus frame is small it somehow seems lighter?

Otto
Old 07-07-20, 11:33 PM
babie_lato

Bikes: Peugeot PR65

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Hello JaccoW , here an update: thanks to all advices on this forum I eventually found my dream bicycle: Peugeot PR65 with Reynolds 531 tubes. I ordered it from a French seller and was waiting for boarders to reopen (I'm in Switzerland) to go and collect it. It took time and patience but finally this Sunday I'm going to pick it up! This is a picture from the seller. I'll post my own pictures when I have it here.

ChillDilettante If you want a Peugeot I recommend looking for models PR65 and PK65. They are the only ones made with Reynolds 531 tubes and are therefore very light (11.9kg). The tricky part is that they are quite rare and sellers usually don't know the name of the model. So you have to look at pictures and recognise it. Pay attention, it's easy to confuse them with other visually similar models like this one, made with Carbolite 103 which is not quite as good. In case of doubt the best is to ask the seller to send a picture of the sticker on the frame, it should look like this:

The frames come in sizes 53cm and 57cm. If you're taller than 175cm you should definitely look for 57cm. In case you're in Europe this page has plenty of them but you'll need patience to find the right one. Wish you good luck and look forward to hear what you found!

Originally Posted by JaccoW
There was another good thread a few months ago with lots of good suggestions:
Good quality mixte frames? by @babie_lato
I wonder how her project is going...
Likes For babie_lato:
Old 07-07-20, 11:45 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by babie_lato
Hello JaccoW , here an update: thanks to all advices on this forum I eventually found my dream bicycle: Peugeot PR65 with Reynolds 531 tubes. I ordered it from a French seller and was waiting for boarders to reopen (I'm in Switzerland) to go and collect it. It took time and patience but finally this Sunday I'm going to pick it up! This is a picture from the seller. I'll post my own pictures when I have it here.

ChillDilettante If you want a Peugeot I recommend looking for models PR65 and PK65. They are the only ones made with Reynolds 531 tubes and are therefore very light (11.9kg). The tricky part is that they are quite rare and sellers usually don't know the name of the model. So you have to look at pictures and recognise it. Pay attention, it's easy to confuse them with other visually similar models like this one, made with Carbolite 103 which is not quite as good. In case of doubt the best is to ask the seller to send a picture of the sticker on the frame, it should look like this:

The frames come in sizes 53cm and 57cm. If you're taller than 175cm you should definitely look for 57cm. In case you're in Europe this page has plenty of them but you'll need patience to find the right one. Wish you good luck and look forward to hear what you found!
Wow, you really found a nice bike! Be sure to post a pic once you've got it fully tuned up and shiny
Likes For Piff:
Old 07-08-20, 04:34 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
I'm really liking my Miyata 100M:
https://www.bikeforums.net/21564993-post1378.html
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 07-08-20, 06:34 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
I refurbed this for a friend, it's a lovely, light bike. Not sure exact weight, but it's a Univega Sportour and it has double-butted tubes, a (mostly) Shimano 600 drivetrain and really light Araya rims that will reliably explode tubes if you pump it past 65 psi. I was always struck by how light it felt. Don't overlook Univegas, they made great bikes, and tons of mixtes!
Univega Sportour Mixte by Eat More Plants1, on Flickr
Likes For PugRider:
Old 07-16-20, 08:50 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
The Merckx mixte is back on the market. Not mine, no relation, don’t know the seller, Yes, I know it’s not really a mixte, but...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=253929