Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any Ebay customs charges or fees ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-20, 03:53 PM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts

Did some searches, and did not find anything. So here is my pretty basic question.

I figured that folks in Classic and Vintage would have some experience in this area. Have found a couple of items from UK shops on ebay. Could not located a source for these in the states.

Nothing very expensive, 50.00 or less.

Now for the question. Are there customs fees, import , taxes , or any charges that I would be hit with if I purchased them?

Ebay shows a fairly inexpensive tax on them when looking at the checkout page, but are there other charges that are likely?
Is there a dollar figure that must be met before you need to concern yourself with fees associated with “ importing” an item?

Thanks
Old 07-07-20, 05:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
I've ordered lots of times from UK but not via ebay. The threshold for having to pay customs is pretty high. I've ordered stuff in the $800 range w/o extra fees. You could Google. Also, you won't pay VAT. I expect ebay would disclose any of their own fees. I've heard of shipping companies trying to charge hidden fees, I think DHL had a rep.
Old 07-07-20, 06:11 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Custom fees are charge by US Customs, not eBay. There is likely no duty on a $50 bicycle part.Sometimes the carrier (DHL, FDX) will charge you duty. They are usually incorrect, but the fight isn't worth your time. USPS rarely charges duty, IME.
Old 07-07-20, 06:58 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
I have recently purchased similarly priced items from eBay UK, eBay France, and eBay Italy. I have not been charged a customs fee. On the other hand your bank or credit card that you have linked to your PayPal account may charge you a "foreign transaction fee" for paying in a currency other than U.S. dollars. In my experience most don't but a few do. You can check with them.
Brent
Old 07-07-20, 07:20 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
If the seller uses the Global Shipping Program on ebay you will be charged the customs/duty charges at the point of sale. This is actually a license to steal for pitney bowes and ebay.
Old 07-07-20, 07:41 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
There are no US customs charges for items purchased overseas and shipped to you for less than $800.
I order from overseas providers, both commercial and private, all the time, through eBay and not through eBay.
You often have to wait longer for things to arrive, but that’s it.
Old 07-07-20, 08:13 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
There are no US customs charges for items purchased overseas and shipped to you for less than $800.
I order from overseas providers, both commercial and private, all the time, through eBay and not through eBay.
You often have to wait longer for things to arrive, but that’s it.
That's only if the ebay seller does not use the Global shipping program... Check some of the ebay adds in the UK. If the seller lists in his ad "No additional import charges on delivery", to be calculated at point of sale these are the import charges. These are charged separately from the shipping charges.
Old 07-07-20, 10:21 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Do not buy anything shipped to your country through the: Global Shipping Program. You will be charged huge arbitrary fees that are multiples of what your border agents actually require you to remit.
Old 07-08-20, 03:39 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
I have been buying and selling on Ebay for a couple of decades now. In general, if something is less than fifty bucks, there is no interaction on the part of customs. In all my years of buying through Ebay, only once have I been nailed with import costs and that was on an item that exceeded $100.00.

Basically, it is a luck of the draw thing, I think. More often that not, it is not worth the time for customs to look deeper. I do know that some of my incoming packages have been opened by customs, but rarely (only once) are any charges or instructions added. Guess I am lucky that way. In fact, the most recent package I got was from a fellow forum member, a lovely old Italian five speed freewheel, and it had obviously been opened at customs. Repackaged, sort of, and then in it came with no additional costs to me.