Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ah the Humidity...keeping hydrated

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 06:13 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts

Was coming off a section of the MUP today and a group of roadies was cruising by. I jumped on the tail end of the group. I wasn't feeling it. Long work week in hot weather. And today it was 90 and 90% humidity. Hard to breath. But they were smooth riders and I was soon caught up in the group. They were locals, similar in age, kids went to same schools etc. Stuck with them and ended up just over 40 miles. The last 5 miles were brutal. Sun was in full force and I was heading south. Made it home and thought... not smart. Hadn't ridden in a week, hot weather, feeling a bit nauseous. Showered, had a lot to eat and drink. Drank a lot of water. Not feeling too bad this evening. If I go out tomorrow, more heat and humidity, I'm thinking of drinking a lot of water as soon as I wake up. And just keep on drinking till I get on the bike. Any other hydration tips?
Old 07-18-20, 06:27 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Gatorade or electrolytes mixed at 50 per cent strength in a couple water bottles. I ride in an environment like you described and I consume 3-4 tall bottles of water on a 40+ mile ride. V-8 juice when I get home, augmented with pickle juice, watermelon, unconsumed bike water bottle over ice, anything liquid. My clothes are always drenched when I get home, and I do mean drenched. Ride early, hydrate early, rest and hydrate later. Don't overheat.
Old 07-18-20, 06:30 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I add Liquid I.V. to Gatorade or plain water. Even still I can't drink enough in this weather. After a slow 50 miles today I had to stand under the garden hose awhile before I had energy and stability to climb the stairs. I keep telling myself I won't do this again....
So very funny. That feeling of red lining and then recovering is too compelling. We both know that we'll both be out there again tomorrow.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 07-18-20, 07:28 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Drink a glass before leaving the house. If you get nauseous and cant eat or drink you have passed from heat exhaustion to heat stroke. Get into an air conditioned building. There's plenty about this on the interwebz. You might want to do some searching around. If I'm getting too hot I just reduce the effort or even coast for a bit.
I stopped one day when it was 114f in the shade, and had to get moving again to cool down
Old 07-18-20, 07:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I'm thinking of drinking a lot of water as soon as I wake up. And just keep on drinking till I get on the bike. Any other hydration tips?
Drink while you are on the bike too. Every 10 to 15 minutes. Or sooner if thirsty.

For rides longer than 25 miles, I'm carrying a third bottle, occasionally a fourth bottle for long rides. Back jersey pockets get heavy, but when sucking down water that fast, you can lighten them quick. Most of the water fountains were turned off for covid and there aren't that many other places to stop for drinks or water on the routes I prefer to ride.

I try to ride the faster routes, the faster I ride the less I feel hot......until I have to stop. Hopefully that's when I get home.
Old 07-18-20, 08:02 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Gravel bike in the threes is mandatory when it’s getting too hot
Old 07-18-20, 09:44 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
big chainring you had a good trolling game going on but retreading the jumping in on a group thing is boarding on pathetic. Your Strava bait kind of failed as well but keep trying hopefully you will get your game back soon.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 07-18-20, 10:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the drink that has been out there nearly 50 years unchanged (exc ept the name - I think it is on #5 ) but is barely known. Vitalyte, aka Hydrolyte, aka E.R.G. aka Gookinaid. Comes as a powder. 2 scoops per waterbottle. It filled all my WBs in my racing and long mile days in the '70s in New England. Then in the '80s and '80s, it disappeared. Around 2000 I went to REI to research a good electrolyte drink, hoping to find one as good as ERG/Gookinaid (its original names). And there it was. I didn't recognize the packaging or name, but the ingredients matched my recall..

The stuff works. It isn't a huge energy source. It has glucose but because it speeds up the electrolyte absorption, It was formulated by a biochemist/marathon runner who was fast enough to qualify for the 1968 Olympics but got sick on Gator Aid and had to drop out of the qualifier. Decided there had to be better and he had the training to research it. Came up with a drink that really works; absorbs fast and stays down. (I drink it when I'm sick.)

The company has always been low budget and when the highly marketed drinks came out in the '80s and 90s'. they simply could not compete. But by then they had acquired a second market - third world relief workers who found it was just as good for hydrating victims of dysentery, cholera and the like. That market was never going to go away and they just quietly plugged along.

It has stayed my staple because - I can drink a lot of it in one drink. I do 1/2 a waterbottle at a time often. No repercussions other than relief. Doesn't hurt that it comes in a container large enough to fill 40 or 80 bottles (I forget which, probably 40), costs $19 and keeps a long time after the container is opened. I bring it when I go ot organized rides 1) to guarantee I have a drink that works and 2) many of the newer drinks taste bad and don't sit so well in my stomach.

You can find it at REI. (The local REI has wavered a few time on carrying it. I suspect they sell little enough that profit says - give that space to a seller. But it keeps coming back. Some of the employees insist on it because they want the stuff!)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-18-20, 10:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
And related to my post above - drinking large quantities of water without electrolytes is asking for trouble. At the least, you need sodium and potassium. (Salt and bananas.) Sounds like you sweated a lot of both. Drinking just water is a good way to drive those levels even lower and get really sick.
Old 07-19-20, 04:39 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Has anyone used Nuun tablets? I just started trying them, but don't have a verdict yet. They have much less sugar than liquid IV for comparison. Nuun does also have an endurance version that matches the sugar/calorie content of liquid IV. For under 2 hour rides I am not sure if the sugar is as necessary?
Old 07-19-20, 05:54 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
Has anyone used Nuun tablets? I just started trying them, but don't have a verdict yet. They have much less sugar than liquid IV for comparison. Nuun does also have an endurance version that matches the sugar/calorie content of liquid IV. For under 2 hour rides I am not sure if the sugar is as necessary?
I use Nuun. Certainly seems to be better than water, but I don't look to fluids for calories, 'specially not on a 2 hour ride.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-19-20, 06:04 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
big chainring you had a good trolling game going on but retreading the jumping in on a group thing is boarding on pathetic. Your Strava bait kind of failed as well but keep trying hopefully you will get your game back soon.
And I gave another rider a shove as I was dropping back in line and a gap was opening in front of him. He was one of the older riders so felt like a little help would be appreciated. Didnt even think about it, just did it, because thats what good riding is about. Keeping the group together and aiding a rider when you can.
Old 07-19-20, 07:28 AM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm a huge fan of the drink that has been out there nearly 50 years unchanged (exc ept the name - I think it is on #5 ) but is barely known. Vitalyte, aka Hydrolyte, aka E.R.G. aka Gookinaid. Comes as a powder. 2 scoops per waterbottle. It filled all my WBs in my racing and long mile days in the '70s in New England. Then in the '80s and '80s, it disappeared. Around 2000 I went to REI to research a good electrolyte drink, hoping to find one as good as ERG/Gookinaid (its original names). And there it was. I didn't recognize the packaging or name, but the ingredients matched my recall..

The stuff works. It isn't a huge energy source. It has glucose but because it speeds up the electrolyte absorption, It was formulated by a biochemist/marathon runner who was fast enough to qualify for the 1968 Olympics but got sick on Gator Aid and had to drop out of the qualifier. Decided there had to be better and he had the training to research it. Came up with a drink that really works; absorbs fast and stays down. (I drink it when I'm sick.)

The company has always been low budget and when the highly marketed drinks came out in the '80s and 90s'. they simply could not compete. But by then they had acquired a second market - third world relief workers who found it was just as good for hydrating victims of dysentery, cholera and the like. That market was never going to go away and they just quietly plugged along.

It has stayed my staple because - I can drink a lot of it in one drink. I do 1/2 a waterbottle at a time often. No repercussions other than relief. Doesn't hurt that it comes in a container large enough to fill 40 or 80 bottles (I forget which, probably 40), costs $19 and keeps a long time after the container is opened. I bring it when I go ot organized rides 1) to guarantee I have a drink that works and 2) many of the newer drinks taste bad and don't sit so well in my stomach.

You can find it at REI. (The local REI has wavered a few time on carrying it. I suspect they sell little enough that profit says - give that space to a seller. But it keeps coming back. Some of the employees insist on it because they want the stuff!)

Ben
Me, too! I’ve been using Vitalyte since the 1980s, when it was known as E.R.G. or Gookinaid (after Bill Gookin, the runner who formulated it). It has just a touch of glucose sweetness, because, as Ben says, the glucose aids absorption of the electrolytes. I used to use it for post-run recovery, but now for after riding and hiking in hot weather. It’s the best electrolyte drink I’ve ever found. Available online if you can’t find it in a store.

BTW, Ben, it was always available, but for a long while only by phone or mail order. I remember that Bill Gookin himself would often answer the phone. Neat guy from the 1960s and 1970s running world. Turned to orienteering after his marathon days were over.

Dave
Old 07-19-20, 07:44 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Was coming off a section of the MUP today and a group of roadies was cruising by. I jumped on the tail end of the group. I wasn't feeling it. Long work week in hot weather. And today it was 90 and 90% humidity. Hard to breath. But they were smooth riders and I was soon caught up in the group. They were locals, similar in age, kids went to same schools etc. Stuck with them and ended up just over 40 miles. The last 5 miles were brutal. Sun was in full force and I was heading south. Made it home and thought... not smart. Hadn't ridden in a week, hot weather, feeling a bit nauseous. Showered, had a lot to eat and drink. Drank a lot of water. Not feeling too bad this evening. If I go out tomorrow, more heat and humidity, I'm thinking of drinking a lot of water as soon as I wake up. And just keep on drinking till I get on the bike. Any other hydration tips?
I drink twice as much, reduce my pace (effort) & put a 50/50 Gatorade G2 & water mix in my 2nd water bottle.
Old 07-19-20, 12:21 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Using a Camelback will help. You will find you drink more because it is easier to access. On hotter days with uncertain water stops I use mine plus two bottles, one reserved for an electrolyte drink.
Old 07-19-20, 01:16 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
If you are not fully hydrated 12hr before the ride it is almost too late.

Also it is not often 90F/90%. Usually this means it is 90% RH in the morning when it is in the 70s, then the temp hits the 90's in the afternoon, but by then the RH is down to 60%.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 07-19-20, 04:22 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Just drink the sweat and snot coming off the rider in front of you.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-19-20, 04:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10419 Post(s)
Liked 11,880 Times in 6,086 Posts
Out here, the humidity is never high when it's hot, so instead of sweat running off of you at 95 degrees, you just accumulate salt deposits.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-21-20, 07:18 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Just drink the sweat and snot coming off the rider in front of you.
That was fine until Covid 19

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-22-20, 04:42 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
That was fine until Covid 19
That was my point, amid the surge in threads asking directly and indirectly what everyone thinks of hopping on strangers' wheels.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-22-20, 08:39 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Always wanted to ask, is there any benefit of drinking a Nuun or SIS hydration tablet when you are off the bike? I try to drink water regularly and eat fruits and all but don't really do anything extra on the hydration front. I don't understand the idea behind drinking lots of water and it seems like I pee a lot when I do.

I don't ride when the heat index is above 95, it's not worth it. I just hop on the trainer and do an easy ride. It's scorching hot and humid in the US East Coast right now and will be above avg temps thru the summer according to NWS forecast.
Old 07-22-20, 08:46 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28591 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,317 Posts
If I go out tomorrow, more heat and humidity, I'm thinking of drinking a lot of water as soon as I wake up. And just keep on drinking till I get on the bike.
Correct.
Old 07-22-20, 09:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I use saltstick caps or a cheaper, similar product for electrolytes. Saltstick even makes a handy dandy dispenser for those athletes that are really serious about not losing any time.(I'm not one of those)

SaltStick Dispenser - SaltStick Electrolytes & Dispensers

I'm currently using this product. It's works as well as the saltstick, but is less expensive.

https://elitesportzequipment.com/rap...s-for-runners/

Last edited by seypat; 07-22-20 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-22-20, 09:21 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Always wanted to ask, is there any benefit of drinking a Nuun or SIS hydration tablet when you are off the bike? I try to drink water regularly and eat fruits and all but don't really do anything extra on the hydration front. I don't understand the idea behind drinking lots of water and it seems like I pee a lot when I do.

I don't ride when the heat index is above 95, it's not worth it. I just hop on the trainer and do an easy ride. It's scorching hot and humid in the US East Coast right now and will be above avg temps thru the summer according to NWS forecast.
Right. It's important to live and start your workouts in a hydrated state, but beyond satisfying thirst and eating a good diet, there isn't much you can do, off the bike, to super-hydrate or load electrolytes, since water and sodium are tightly regulated by the kidney and any excess of either is quickly elimiinated.* Potassium is repleted by diet, accumulates in cells, and stores are virtually always adequate in healthy people.

*In extreme cases people can actually drink water faster than they can make urine and a few unfortunate and misinformed athletes or military recruits die or end up in the ICU every year from water intoxication.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-22-20 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-22-20, 10:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Always wanted to ask, is there any benefit of drinking a Nuun or SIS hydration tablet when you are off the bike?
If you get home dehydrated, yeah.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.