Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike as a primary means of transport

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-22-20, 01:59 PM
SmallSam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I wanted to ask some questions about using a bike as a primary mode of transportation. If you have had experience with using a bike as a primary mode of transportation, please answer with your thoughts and experiences.Thanks.

What are the characteristics/ qualities of the bike that you use for transportation?
Do you use a bike in the winter and the summer?
What are the biggest problems for you because you use a bike as a primary mode of transportation?
Do you ever end up sweaty and tired when you get to work?
How do you deal with weather related problems?
Do you have a light bike?
What are the greatest benefits you get from using a bike for transportation?
Do you reccommend using a bike as a primary mode of transportation to others?
Old 07-22-20, 02:31 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
You may try the Living Car Free section for insight (even if you’re not excluding other means).

Obviously using a bike as a primary means of transportation is not for everyone. But one ’d be amazed how much you don’t need other means. Most obstacles (fears) you mention are no biggies. Take care of your bike and your bike will take care of you, and go for it.

Last edited by Bikewolf; 07-23-20 at 02:17 AM.
Likes For Bikewolf:
Old 07-22-20, 09:13 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Well, my family does have cars, but I commute to work every day (at least pre covid), and use my bike for shopping and getting around town. So I'll fill in a few answers.

What are the characteristics/ qualities of the bike that you use for transportation?
Chain guard, fenders, rack, basket, upright handlebars, "anti theft aesthetics," lights, bell, basic lock and chain, 3 speed gear hub.

Yes, a different bike in the winter, to spare my nice bikes of getting road salt on them.

What are the biggest problems for you because you use a bike as a primary mode of transportation?
I'm a musician, and I play the double bass. I haven't worked how to get around town with it using uber etc.

I'm lucky that I don't sweat much, don't know why. So I don't have good advice about this.

Rain jacket and rain pants. During the winter, ski jacket and insulated pants. Quick drying fabrics are also a useful compromise.

About 35 pounds light.

Enjoyment, avoidance of driving a car, which I hate, exercise, convenient parking, smugness.

Do you recommend using a bike as a primary mode of transportation to others?
It's pretty rare that someone can make car-free totally work, but I do recommend if not primary, at least a regular part of your transportation routine. I think it's easier to make it a habit if you commit to doing it every day.
Old 07-23-20, 03:39 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Mostly ditto of Gresp15C‘s post. A few variances:

I use a touring bike without a chain guard. I bind my pants legs and I wax my chain for lubrication. Backup is 1990’s no-suspension mountain bike. I use a mirror. I carry relatively extensive repair tools and parts.I have a rear rack and panniers for my commute. For groceries I use wire baskets and/or a flat-bed trailer.

Delay due to occasional heavy thunderstorm. I’m very allergic to lightning. I break out in death.

Sweaty yes; fortunate to have one destination with a shower. Not tired; I have acclimated to the commute.

Occasional delay as noted above. I find the “minute cast” feature on the Accuweather app very helpful.

Multitasks exercise and commute.

Last edited by flangehead; 07-23-20 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Add mirror.and contingency gear.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 07-23-20, 07:45 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I've been bike commuting 28 years. I do own a car, but let me take a crack at this as well:

I have come to prefer a less "twitchy" bike with a more relaxed ride, so a longer wheelbase and more "relaxed" geometry. Also the ability to adequately wide tires. My 26" MTB bike has supple 26x1.85 smoothies which roll fast and cushion bumps. My main commuter has 700x35 tires and If I could fit slightly wider tires with the fenders I would. My old 700x28 roadbike is fun, but not for every day commuting. While upright seating is in theory better for commuting, my 58 year-old body prefers drop-bars.
Yes, my old MTB gets studded snow tires in the winter.

Sometimes work and life commitments require being able to travel distances or speeds not attainable on a bike, or to carry loads not possible on a bike without a trailer. Also, when we had kids, it was not easy, practical or safe to transport them everywhere by bike.

Sweaty, sometimes. Much less now that I know how to dress better. I have no showers at work, but I can clean-up just fine. It's not sweat that stinks, but bacteria. If you shower regularly, ride in clean clothes, and change into clean street clothes at work (including socks and undies) you'll be okay. Same for riding to other destinations.

Rain cape. It doesn't rain much in Colorado. In the winter I've learned to layer and TO NOT OVER DRESS. Dress for how you will feel 10-15 minutes into the ride. If you are cold, ride harder. Your body can put out a tremendous amount of heat. I always carry an extra layer in my bag in case I do have to stop.

One light-ish roadbike, one medium commuter, and one heavy-ish old Mountain bike.

Better fitness and mental health.

No. If some one wants to find out more about it I am happy to share (my wife says I'm TOO happy to share). Once or twice over the years I have been around people who found themselves without a car and wondered how to use public transportation to get to work. In those situations I offered up that I bike (at which point my wife rolls her eyes, but is really glad I'm in good physical and mental health).
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-23-20, 08:39 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I regularly commuted on a bike for 15 years before Covid, and hope to get back to commuting soon. My two cents:

I joke that I break out in a sweat when I look at a bike; my wife nods vigorously when she hears me. A shower at work helps, but I've ridden 5-10 miles and cleaned up with baby wipes in a restroom when a shower wasn't available.

As with some others, I have a car which I'll use when I have to: for mid-day trips offsite when I need to look professional and don't have time to ride, when I need to carry bulky or heavy loads, or when ice or snow is on the road. (Uber/Lyft aren't options for me.)

My regular bikes are touring bikes, but I do have a lighter bike. The light bike doesn't see a lot of action, because it lacks fenders and racks.

Benefits? My cardiologist told me I'm still alive because of all the cycling. Half to 3/4 of my annual miles are commuting. Also, I've cut my gasoline consumption by 2/3, which gives me some money to spend on bikes, accessories, parts, and clothes.

I think cycling is a rational transportation choice for most people. But I've backed off recommending that everyone should ride wherever they can. It requires changes that seem to be larger than many people want to make.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-23-20, 10:02 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SmallSam
Hi, I wanted to ask some questions about using a bike as a primary mode of transportation. If you have had experience with using a bike as a primary mode of transportation, please answer with your thoughts and experiences.Thanks.
Any bike will do
Of course. Snow and ice keep me off the bike.
I have no problems related to biking.
Sometimes.
Extreme weather keeps me off the bike.
I have 5 bikes from very light to very heavy.
I'm living a better life. The biggest benefit is that I'm not driving.
Of course.
Old 07-23-20, 11:24 AM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Puncture-resistant tires, Fenders, Dynamo Lights, Good Saddle (seat), and way to carry stuff that's not on my back: either racks or under-seat style bags.

Yes, I find winter much more pleasant here in Florida.

Getting longer distances over short times, fortunately, Uber or Lyft seems to handle that without issue where I live.

Somewhat, I have showers here, so as a practice I get a cool shower as soon as I get to the office. You do start to sweat less as you get more accustomed to it.

How do you deal with weather-related problems?
Depends on the weather, a little rain in the summer I just ride through it. Rain in the winter, I would do full rain gear. If it's bad enough, there is always Uber and Lyft.

No, I have a bike mentioned above, I would say it's 35 pounds (or more with my laptop, clothes, journal, lunch, towel, etc).

Health and Health only, sitting here at my desk with a resting heart rate of 49 bpm, down from 85 a few years ago.

I do quite often but it's so dependant on where an individual has to go and what they are going to do while there. I feel like going car-lite is a little more practical for most people.
Old 07-23-20, 01:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by SmallSam

What are the characteristics/ qualities of the bike that you use for transportation? Front suspension MTB
Do you use a bike in the winter and the summer? Yes (it's temperate here)
What are the biggest problems for you because you use a bike as a primary mode of transportation? Costco trips, decentralized suburbs
Do you ever end up sweaty and tired when you get to work? Sweaty yes, tired no. Maybe try to get tired going home. Riding is as hard as you care to make it
How do you deal with weather related problems? The usual way humans do, with clothes
Do you have a light bike? No, but I have a bike light
What are the greatest benefits you get from using a bike for transportation? Light exercise, time alone
Do you reccommend using a bike as a primary mode of transportation to others? Only if they express curiosity
Answers in bold
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-23-20 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 01:59 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Thinking about the weather, one additional factor is that by good fortune, I have a job with flexible hours. In fact we are talking about sticking to working from home permanently. And when we get thunderstorms, they tend to be brief. So I can steer around the worst of bad weather.
Old 07-24-20, 08:15 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
Characteristics? In the 80s. Couldn't afford to maintain my car. Sold it. Relied on my bike for several years. It was a Schwinn Varsity. Good bike. Got a rack and one of those folding wire baskets. Already had a backpack.

Winter and summer? Yep.

Biggest problems? Learning to deal with traffic. There's too much to list here. But these forums are a good place to learn.

Sweaty? You bet. No big deal. It's a natural phenomenon. Tired? That's weird. When I drive to work it takes longer to "wake up". Riding in I'm good when I get there.

Weather? Here in Arizona weather problems are heat, wind and rain. You can avoid the rain. The wind usually isn't too bad. The heat? Google how to ride in the heat. All I can say is hydrate, watch yourself and take it easy.

Light bike? No. The Varsity was about 30 lbs.

Benefits? Fun, fitness and cost savings.

Recommend? Maybe. Try it. You might like it. Nowadays I drive 20 mi to a Park N Ride. Then ride 7 mi to work. PITA. Better than not riding. Or only riding on the weekends.
Old 07-24-20, 10:38 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Is the OP writing a paper for school, or perhaps a business proposal?
Old 07-24-20, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
SmallSam;21601546] Hi, I wanted to ask some questions about using a bike as a primary mode of transportation. If you have had experience with using a bike as a primary mode of transportation, please answer with your thoughts and experiences.Thanks.
Q:
>Function & fit
> yes, but for ice on the street, a different one is fitted with studded tires.
> cant go pick up cheap or free furniture when offered.
> not when I was younger where I lived.
> wear the right clothing
> attractive butt muscles
> make up your own mind, mate.

Now I'm Retired.
Old 07-24-20, 06:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
Is the OP writing a paper for school, or perhaps a business proposal?
We get plenty of these. But I figure it doesn't hurt to participate. The last one, wrapped in a neg about helmets looking dorky, at least had a fresh perspective.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-24-20, 06:48 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
Chain guard, fenders, rack, panniers, upright handlebars, dynamo lights, bell, u-lock, 7 speed gear hub, drum brakes.

Yes, Bikes can use studded tires here, cars cannot.

Commuting with a laptop slung on m y shoulder.

Bikes take less energy than walking so trip in is fine. The return trip ends with a steep hill, but it's home, so who cares.

Rain jacket and rain pants.

No.

Ability to find a parking space, keeping my car away from road salt, faster than driving or subway. Bikes are for work; cars are for play.

It depends. Bikes are more convenient in cities, bur cars are better in rural places.
Old 07-28-20, 09:25 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I went 8 years with a bike exclusively for transportation. That was in AZ, where winter riding wasn't an issue, so pretty much all weather (heat doesn't bother me in the least).

Now that I live somewhere with 'real' winters, I own a velomobile (3 wheels, fully enclosed) for the winter riding.

I occasionally drive to work, or even take my motorcycle, but I commute upwards of 90% of the time. Same with shopping trips, although with the pandemic, making fewer trips with a lot more groceries, I tend to use the car more now.

It needs to be comfortable and reliable if you're going to use it a lot. The accessories noted by the above posters are all nice additions, but if you don't enjoy it, you won't keep at it.
I do now. Before I owned the velo, I would not risk riding on 2 wheels in the winters (either in KS, WA, or OR). This was a combination of not wanting to risk falls, and the traffic. In WA, I actually rode all year, but would take off days when there was a chance of ice (less common in the Seattle area than you'd think).
Usually finding ways to transport large items. I don't have that issue anymore, because I own a motorized vehicle, but don't use it unless needed.
Sure. A few minutes in the men's room with a damp paper towel is enough to get through the day, though. I've only had one employer with a shower. That was nice.
Fenders and good rain gear when I was limited to 2 wheels. Now, the velo makes that mostly moot.
Nope. My recumbent is upwards of 30 lbs in commuting trim. My velo is 80 lbs.
Exercise. It's great for reducing my stress and keeping me in shape.
For those that can manage, I think they should at least use a bike when they can. Too many people think of them as purely recreational, which is ok, but it's not that much effort to make it into a practical alternative to a gas powered vehicle.
Old 08-21-20, 11:17 AM
vgmightyp

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Tarmac Disc Sport, 2020 CAADX 105, 2018 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Specialized Sirrus Disc, 1997 Mongoose Maneuver

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
I've lived in NYC my entire life. Don't have a drivers license. Haven't taken public transportation in 3.5 years. My work commute is 10-15 minutes. I have a rain suit (need a better one) for heavy rain, a poncho for light rain and going to winterize my hybrid for snow etc. My main commuter is about 19lbs, the hybrid, which has a rack, is probably closer to 30lbs. Never late for work and sometimes will take the long way home for some miles after work.
Old 09-07-20, 01:42 PM
hugorodrigo23

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Lights, fenders and some kind of puncture resistant tires. I also like some kind of rack to carry things and avoid a sweaty back.
Yes, but México City does not have an extreme weather, rain season is the worst we have to deal with.
When I have to go out with someone that doesn´t ride a bike or I need to carry things that are too big for mi rack.
Very little, I use a very effective antiperspirant and a base layer that helps to evaporate the very little sweat I get during my commute. And If I feel a little tired one day, I ride my eBike.
Just rain, I carry a Poncho and shoecovers, but sometimes I just get wet.

Yes, I commute on a Specialized Sirrus X 5.0 with 32mm tires (lighter and faster than the stock 38c tires)

Traffic congestion here in Mexico City is on a level that I couldn't handle anymore. Now I get to ride my awesome bikes everyday to anywhere I want to go. I'm fitter and thiner than I was before using my bike everyday. I do not waist time in traffic jams.
Do you reccommend using a bike as a primary mode of transportation to others?
Yes! I love riding bikes, so why not doing it everyday. I also used to do cardio at the gym to maintain fitness and lower fat levels, that is not necessary anymore. I don´t spend money on fuel so I can justify spending my money on awesome bikes. In a city with heavy traffic jams and insufficient public transportation, commuting by bike is the best option.

Last edited by hugorodrigo23; 09-07-20 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-08-20, 06:57 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I don't own a car, I have a motor scooter and an ebike. Blix Aveny

Chain guard, fenders, rack, basket, upright handlebars, "anti theft aesthetics," lights, bell, Ulock, 7 speed derailer.

Yes, I ride year round. The only time that I don't ride is when it's icy. I catch public transportation when its icy.

No problems, I just keep my batteries charged, make sure I have hydration fluids and some snacks.

I'm lucky that I don't sweat much, because I ride an ebike. I use level 2-4 out of 5.

Windbreaker/jacket for rain. I use merino wool baselayer in the winter, another insulated layer, and the windbreaker for winter. In the summer, I wear cargo shorts, winter cargo pants.

About 55 pounds.

Enjoyment, avoidance of driving a car, which I hate, exercise, convenient parking. I lost 40 lbs last year. I am a type 2 diabetic and my drug and insulin levels have decreased by 80%. I want to lose another 70 lbs. We will see. Starting weight 255 lbs, currently 215 lbs, goal 142 lbs, 5'7".

I ride 3-4 times per week. 12 miles one way, it takes me about 45 mins to 1 hour each way depending on whether I stop off for supplies at a grocery store. Before I got my ebike, my commute on my ebike took 45 mins to 80 mins on my Townie 21d. I wanted a more predictable commute time.

On days, that I have other appointments or long days, I ride my scooter to work. My ebike is my main commuter. On my days off, I ride my scooter or catch the bus.