Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

perfect bike fit

Old 08-01-20, 09:37 AM
jim p

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
perfect bike fit

My fit must be perfect because my hands, feet and behind all are uncomfortable on the bike. My theory is if just one point of contact is uncomfortable then the fit is wrong. Everything has to be comfortable or everything has to be uncomfortable to have a perfect bike fit.

I have not ridden for the last 5 years and have been riding for about 2 months now. I know as I get stronger and tougher some of the discomfort will go away.

I think that bike fit changes as a rider gets more fit.
Old 08-01-20, 09:43 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Interesting theory.

Would it follow that having the runs, a sore throat, headache, fever and back ache equals perfect health?

Good luck getting back in cycling shape!
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 08-01-20, 09:48 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Not so sure... i'm comfortable on all 3 contact points. But I "dialed in" my fit and made some minor adjustments over the years.
Old 08-01-20, 10:12 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by jim p
While this is true, a couple months of frequent riding -- maybe a few hundred miles -- should be enough to for your body to be acclimated to cycling again unless you're really out of shape. At that point it's time to address fit issues. And then maybe again after a few thousand miles.

Our bodies all fit bikes differently. We generally become less flexible as we age. A person in better cycling shape has the flexibility to ride in the posture that's most effective for their preferred discipline, e.g., road racing, off-road, etc. If you were that rider 5 years ago, you would know it, and know what it takes to get back there.

So 'm assuming you belong to the rest of us, for whom perfect fit is a bike that we can ride comfortably. Probably the biggest single issue is whether your body would prefer drop bars or a more upright posture.

My bikes have no pain points.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 08-01-20 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-01-20, 10:27 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,468 Times in 5,875 Posts
My fit must be perfect because my hands, feet and behind all are uncomfortable on the bike. My theory is if just one point of contact is uncomfortable then the fit is wrong. Everything has to be comfortable or everything has to be uncomfortable to have a perfect bike fit.

I have not ridden for the last 5 years and have been riding for about 2 months now. I know as I get stronger and tougher some of the discomfort will go away.

Hmmmm. That's an interesting hypothesis. On my first ride on my newest bike, my butt hurt and my hands kept going numb. My feet were okay. I replaced my saddle and adjusted the bars and now all three are comfortable, but I could have just screwed around with my cleats...

I think your bike fit is good if you don't find yourself wanting to stop because any or all of your contact points hurt, but rather you need to stop because you've run out of legs or time. So, I'd be leery of thinking, after two months, that you just need to tolerate the discomfort and it will go away. When I start riding after a long layoff, my butt hurts after the first ride or two, but not more than a week or so later it doesn't.

On the plus side, if you've been riding regularly for a while, your form may have stabilized a bit, so a fitting will be more meaningful.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-01-20, 10:37 AM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 67 years old and I have always been a very weak rider. In the past I have ridden this bike 6 hours at a time. It has never been really comfortable.

I have noticed in the past that riding up hill on the bike was more comfortable that riding on flat ground.

We have some nice riding weather and I hope that everyone is enjoying their rides.
Old 08-01-20, 10:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-your-bike/
Old 08-01-20, 11:14 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3345 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
As an 82 year old bike rider, have ridden several different types of bicycles, I can tell you that the three major point of contact on a DF bike will not really and truly make you comfortable. And that includes so called bike fits. Just to mention one other thing, on long rides holding you head up for long periods of time is a pain in the neck.

And yes, for the past 15 years I have ridden recumbent bikes and trikes for comfort. However do not forget all bent riders started out on DF bikes and rode them for decades, so we know the truth about DF bikes. Dont get me wrong they have their place in many situations, but comfort is NOT one of their prime attributes. Many of us when we were young and light could tolerate the discomfort, but when we got older and heavier the pain becomes more accute.
Old 08-01-20, 11:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Expecting a race bike posture to be comfortable is an expectation problem..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-01-20, 11:32 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts
Ride your bike, make note of what you don't like and then use the generally accepted principles to begin the adjustment process. After maybe 5 rides start making small adjustments and ride with those adjustments for another 5 rides. It takes time, but it's not really that hard to find the settings that suit you best.
Old 08-01-20, 02:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,827 Times in 4,621 Posts

That seems like a great way of rationalizing away your lousy bike fit.
Old 08-01-20, 03:19 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
I have noticed in the past that riding up hill on the bike was more comfortable that riding on flat ground.
Interesting. I’m not a fitter, but my first thought was saddle tilt. You may also be sliding back a bit when going uphill. Obviously reach is not an issue. Even though I don’t use one, micro adjust seat posts allow for “in-between” settings.

John
Old 08-01-20, 04:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
Like you, I am 67. I haven't stopped riding, but I have observed my body changing. What was all day comfortable when I was 62 isn't now and I have to make real changes to bike fit. When I get off the bike for any time at all, I have to raise the bars. The reach I could do through my 50s is no longer. Shoes and cleats need far more attention. I've gone to laced shoes because they are so much more forgiving and dialing in tightness can be done with an accuracy not possible with 3 straps. Handlebar rotation and lever position are now critical form me, both for while riding and to be pain free after.

I would never accept that if everything is uncomfortable, all is good. Maybe a good time for a bike fit? (Of course, safety first.)

Ben
Old 08-01-20, 04:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,468 Times in 5,875 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Like you, I am 67. I haven't stopped riding, but I have observed my body changing. What was all day comfortable when I was 62 isn't now and I have to make real changes to bike fit.
Great. I'm 62. I guess I have this to look forward to.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-01-20, 07:57 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 659 Posts
In my experience, symptoms at all contact points would indicate less than optimal fit for the intended riding purpose.

Otto
Old 08-01-20, 09:23 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Getting the right fit is an iterative process. I had problems mostly with my hands and wrists. I got a pro fit and it helped immensely, especially with saddle selection and position. I tweaked the fit a bit, mostly bar height and reach. It's not perfect, I still get some numbness in my hands, however I can go 50 miles without too much discomfort in the hands. Much farther than I could before the fit. Being 67 years old I expect to have some pain, hell, I get pain doing nothing sometimes! Pre-medicating yourself with ibuprofen helps.
Old 08-01-20, 10:37 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
I had a really great fit experience at the Specialized Retul facility in Boulder in January. Fixed problems in my feet with custom insoles (I had already shimmed my left cleat 2 dgrees, and was running stock, OTC insoles). The fix corrected two issues I was having; 1) outer left toe pain/numbness and 2) left hip pain after as soon as 10 to 12 miles when dismounting the bike. Also helped with numb hands, but I have a lot of core work yet to do for that.

Those guy out there are really great. No affiliation, blah, blah.

Glenn